What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WIFI 5G problem with 378.50

Following up on the post I wrote a few days ago I can confirm that I have a problem with the 378.50 build on the WIFI 5G network.
Everything works fine on 2G but with the 5G, clients randomly loose connection to the internet whilst still remaining connected to WIFI and I have to either switch off the wifi on my devices (iphones, appletv, etc) and back on, or change to 2G and it works.

I upgraded from 376.49_5 ti 378.50, and did a factory reset (from the GUI).
After 2 days of "internet loss" I reverted back to 376.49_5 and did again a factory reset (from the GUI).
2 days later I had no issues on the older firmware.

Bugs.

Thanks

On the subject about the same SSID for both, some say its best others say not. There was an interesting info from an ex Apple engineer that recommended setting them the same. The devices will then select the best band (not just based on the highest RSSI but best connection/rate/throughput) for the particular situation. I have mine this way and iPhone 6 stays on 5ghz AC most of the time unless I get further away from router (upstairs other end of house for instance) then it will switch over to 2.4 and keep on trucking. Once back closer to the router it will switch back to 5ghz AC again. All automatic without having to select the separate network. PC's are all 2.4 N devices so this doesn't effect them at all.

As for lower/upper channels, Here is a nice read. Apparently lower band channels use 1/20 of the power. However potentially that could cause more issues if other 5ghz networks around. Snippet from the article:

<<<"I was reminded by Apple product managers a few months ago while talking about AirPort issues that the lower band uses 1/20th the power of the upper band. That's right: Choose channel 149, and your base station broadcasts signals at 20 times the power of channel 36! (The 5 GHz band, because of its shorter wavelength, requires more power to send the same quantity of data the same distance as a 2.4 GHz device.)

Power corrupts, however. The more power you use to broadcast a signal, the more potential there is for that signal to interfere with other networks, and to receive interference as well." >>>

Hi,

Thanks for your comments! :)

I tried almost every channel and except for 36-44 my HP PC started to get lower numbers so now I use 44 and will test this for the next couple of days. I can already see that with a higher channel I get a higher throughput with IOS devices.

BR/Christian

Today my Philips Fidelio (AirPlay) speakers again were unable to connect to the wireless network provided by my RT-AC66U.

A Wi-Fi scan on my MacBook Pro revealed that again only the 5 GHz network was available (I use different SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands; the speakers can only use 2.4 GHz).

After a reboot of the router the 2.4 GHz network/SSID returned and the speakers were able to connect.

Any idea why the router stops broadcasting the 2.4 GHz network/SSID after some time?

I have never experienced that with previous builds, but have seen this with beta 1 and the final version of 378.50

Today my Philips Fidelio (AirPlay) speakers again were unable to connect to the wireless network provided by my RT-AC66U.

A Wi-Fi scan on my MacBook Pro revealed that again only the 5 GHz network was available (I use different SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands; the speakers can only use 2.4 GHz).

After a reboot of the router the 2.4 GHz network/SSID returned and the speakers were able to connect.

Any idea why the router stops broadcasting the 2.4 GHz network/SSID after some time?

I have never experienced that with previous builds, but have seen this with beta 1 and the final version of 378.50

No idea, I'm just using whichever is the latest driver available from Asus. I'll look into possibly reverting the RT-AC66U driver to its previous version for the next release as I've seen a few odd reports so far specific to that router model.

Question

Hi guys.

i use the merlin firmware for the begiunning i guess first on my n66u and now on my ac87u

but since last update i have connection problems.

every day my connection is lost.. no access on wan (none of the ipcamera's work or my ftp server, and also my nas is not reaschable)

also the 5GHz wifi drops very often.

i did a full reset before and after is installed the xxx.50 update but it keeps doing the same (i dind't restore anything i manualy configurated everything)

any help? maybe i am doing something wrong.

Sorry for my bad english.. i did my best :p

No idea, I'm just using whichever is the latest driver available from Asus. I'll look into possibly reverting the RT-AC66U driver to its previous version for the next release as I've seen a few odd reports so far specific to that router model.

OK. I'll keep an eye on the release notes of future (alpha/beta) builds for that.

Yes, it works fine on my RT-AC56U except for the missing icons in the "General" menu. Astrill is working on fixing this issue.

Finally Astrill fixed it today.

We have updated Astrill router applet for Merlin firmware to fix missing menu icons. All you need is to go to About -> Reinstall.

Seems their are issues with the RT-AC66R so I will wait to update.

Last edited:
Seems their are issues with the RT-AC66R so I will wait to update.

Which issues are you referring to? Astrill applet or something else?

Driver from ASUS is one of them I saw posted. Merlin said he may revert back to the previous one in the next update. Page 51 #506

Last edited:
Driver from ASUS is one of them I saw posted. Merlin said he may revert back to the previous one in the next update. Page 51 #506
Hi,

Regarding the WLAN issues: Did you guys also reset (remove and re-connect) the profile of the clients? :rolleyes:

Remember: We have do reset the router to factory settings after the update to this version.
In the past it was helpfull to do this also for the client side to avoid problems after driver updates for the router...

I have here rock solid WLAN connections on both of my routers (I did re-connect the clients).

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
RT-AC68U Traffic monitor missing in firmware 378.50

Sorry guys, maybe I'm missing something here or haven't read some hidden change log, but after upgrade to 378.50 from 378.49_2 and factory reset, somehow I can't find traffic monitor link :)
Am I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Sorry guys, maybe I'm missing something here or haven't read some hidden change log, but after upgrade to 378.50 from 378.49_2 and factory reset, somehow I can't find traffic monitor link :)
Am I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Yes, it has been moved to "Adaptive QoS" -> "Traffic Monitor".

Took me a second or two to find it initially, as well *smile*.

Hi

Is it safe to disable ipv6 firewall?

Only I'm having connection problems with my wireless printer. A page or so back someone mentioned they disabled this to fix a similar issue.

It might have nothing to do with my problem but its worth a try, I just want to make sure its ok to do so?

Also was ipv6 firewall disabled by default in previous firmwares?

many thanks

I think I have two issues with this release. I come from 374.40 and I've done a factory reset.
1) the 3g modem (which worked well in failover mode) now appears disconnected in the web GUI. However, it connects as soon as the primary wan goes down. So it actually works, but shouldn't it stay in standby and not disconnected?
Note that the 3g modem also disconnects after failback (no standby).
2) sometimes smb.conf is not properly created at boot: only the first 42 lines, while they should be 88. The 43rd is where the first shared directory should be. As a result the network disk can't be browsed, of course. The disk is mounted correctly by the router, it's just the smb.conf which is incomplete.

PS: this is on a RT-N66U.

Update: about number 1), if I input "ifconfig" in telnet I see there is no ppp1 interface. It gets created as soon as the primary wan goes down.
Update2: about number 2), it doesn't always happen. Could it be that the smb.conf file is created too early (when the disk is still mounting)?

I've done a factory reset again and I confirm the above issues. Any hint?

Smart QOS on RT-N66U issue?

I upgraded to 378_50 the other day and performed a factory reset and reconfigured everything manually and noticed Smart QOS is not working.

Here's the issue - On the main QOS page no matter what I set as my maximum download speed, I always get full speed downloads to all devices in my house.

I have 25M/3M cable service so the values i set in the main QOS screen are 23M/2.4M. I've run numerous speedtests and, prior to 378_50, as I crank down those values, the speedtest results also drop - as it should.

Not anymore, so any sustained or burst download kills my sensitive services.

I set my two VOIP services as Highest, my work laptop is set to High and I bump Web surfing down to low and file transfer down to lowest.

These services are unusable when downloading.

So, is Smart QOS broken in 378_50?

I do see a couple "kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change." in the system log, as I have always in the past and know this is not the issue, but I'm mentioning this because it hints that the QOS code is ... loaded.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi

Is it safe to disable ipv6 firewall?

Only I'm having connection problems with my wireless printer. A page or so back someone mentioned they disabled this to fix a similar issue.

It might have nothing to do with my problem but its worth a try, I just want to make sure its ok to do so?

Also was ipv6 firewall disabled by default in previous firmwares?

many thanks

Anyone please?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!