What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.52 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I experience that the httpd (i.e the whole web UI) doesn't start reliably on boot when RT-AC87U is in AP mode. Very frustrating - meaning that you are effectively locked out of the router after setting it to AP-mode.

Current workaround is to make sure that ssh access is checked after factory reset and then start httpd manually after boot with

Code:
service start_httpd

It would be interesting to know if anyone else running RT-AC87U in AP mode experiences this or if it should be considered something wrong with my hardware.

Can anyone help me about that:
5GHZ wifi: Is Lower Channel or Upper Channel better?

Can't speak for other regions but in the USA the upper 5ghz channels have far better power output then the lower ones so if range is a issue stick with the higher channels.

Can't speak for other regions but in the USA the upper 5ghz channels have far better power output then the lower ones so if range is a issue stick with the higher channels.

I have a RT-AC68P router with 378.52_2 FW. My PCE-AC68 adapter will not connect to the upper 5GHz channels when I use the 80MHz bandwidth but will connect at 40MHz on the upper channels. It will however connect to the lower 5GHz at 80MHz bandwidth. Searching the internet I have found others with this problem. I have had this problem from day one with all FW.

I have a RT-AC68P router with 378.52_2 FW. My PCE-AC68 adapter will not connect to the upper 5GHz channels when I use the 80MHz bandwidth but will connect at 40MHz on the upper channels. It will however connect to the lower 5GHz at 80MHz bandwidth. Searching the internet I have found others with this problem. I have had this problem from day one with all FW.

Wi-Fi can be strange i cant use Merlin 52 because my wifes Samsung note 4 will keep dropping the 5 ghz with that firmware. No issues with older builds. In my opinion for the 68U and older John's fork works the best hands down. I think most of the new builds are now centered around the 87U and the 3200.

My Wireless has the issue too, anything were very slow, I already reset the setting in the Web GUI, do I need any hardware reset to factory setting?

try to filled in default gateway at LAN-DHCP sheet. It should be the LAN IP of the router, it is 192.168.1.1 in my case.
apply the setting, reboot the router.

hope it is help.

Last edited:
Wi-Fi can be strange i cant use Merlin 52 because my wifes Samsung note 4 will keep dropping the 5 ghz with that firmware. No issues with older builds. In my opinion for the 68U and older John's fork works the best hands down. I think most of the new builds are now centered around the 87U and the 3200.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-52-is-available.23738/page-13#post-177500

consider no other devices are reporting 5ghz-related problems, the note 4 seems more suspicious.

1. Go to dial keypad and press *#0011#
2. Press menu key and press WiFi option
3. Turn Wifi Power Save Mode off

Is it possible to disable the web traffic history/tracker? I still would like to use QoS and traffic analyzer/data usage, but I don't want to invade the privacy of my users and be able to see what websites they are viewing....

I have the AC87U, I understand that i need to do a factory reset after installation, but can i then restore a saved config? I've just spent an age getting the settings right this time around. :(

hi all,

I am using AC56U. I did a factory reset after the upgrade to 378.52. After a couple of hours, the router would stop working i.e. I would lose internet connections for all devices. I had to do a manual reboot.

Any ideas? Thanks

ditto,

im using a n66u with a PoPPE connection with BT to an openreach modem. I have had to reboot manually twice in 48hours. i have never had this problem with other merlin FW. It was reporting that i had an active connection on the web interface but nothing would connect to the WAN.

I'm also seeing this issue on my RT-AC66U. About every 24 hours I have to restart the router and then it's fine for about 24 hours (give or take a few hours). Any ideas? I'm on 378.52, but don't see any notes in the 378.52_2 changelog noting a fix. I'll try to update it to 378.52_2 once I get home to see if anything changes. When it happened yesterday I noticed the wireless clients can't access anything, including the web GUI once the arises, but I can access the web gui from LAN clients.

Is it possible to disable the web traffic history/tracker? I still would like to use QoS and traffic analyzer/data usage, but I don't want to invade the privacy of my users and be able to see what websites they are viewing....

Currently not possible. I'm not sure if it can be disabled either, as that's closed source code. I might consider adding a switch that would simply hide that list, but that's about the best I could do - not much more I can, so I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble just to hide it.

Hi RMerlin,

First of all, a huge thanks to you for all the incredibly fine work that you've done and continue to do here. IMHO, ASUS should officially hire you as a software consultant to fix all their router product firmware errata. Short of this, any financial donations to you are well deserved and I for one indeed support your efforts.

With that said, I recently purchased an RT-AC3200 and promptly reflashed the router to AsusWRT-Merlin v.378.52_2 to try to fix the router's well-documented NAT loopback problem. Testing v.378.52_2, I see that NAT loopback breaks when when Adaptive QoS is enabled. I however see a number of previous posts indicating that Asus has acknowledged the issue and that there's not much one can do about this given that this part of the router's firmware is closed source. Do you have a sense of what the current Asus status is with this issue?

And if one wants to enable QoS on this router in the interim, is there some kind of workaround involving the router's QoS settings other than outright switching this feature off entirely that permits NAT loopback to still function?

Also, regarding the JFFS2 partition, I currently see a warning message indicating that "WARNING: you have JFFS enabled. Make sure you have a backup of its content, as upgrading your firmware MIGHT overwrite it!" It's not clear to me how to manage and back-up this internal partition on the router. How does one do this?

Thanks much in advance for any and all replies.

Integrion

With that said, I recently purchased an RT-AC3200 and promptly reflashed the router to AsusWRT-Merlin v.378.52_2 to try to fix the router's well-documented NAT loopback problem. Testing v.378.52_2, I see that NAT loopback breaks when when Adaptive QoS is enabled. I however see a number of previous posts indicating that Asus has acknowledged the issue and that there's not much one can do about this given that this part of the router's firmware is closed source. Do you have a sense of what the current Asus status is with this issue?

378.52 has two different NAT loopback methods you can chose from.

Asus's: this one should work regardless of Adaptve QoS. It was broken in recent firmware releases from Asus, I don't remember in which release they fixed it.

Merlin's: this is the one that wasn't working with Adaptive QoS. 378.52 attempted to work around it by restarting the firewall on various DPI-related events that would usually break it.

I recommend you experiment with both methods, as one of them might work better for you. For me, both of them were working fine in my own tests.

Also, regarding the JFFS2 partition, I currently see a warning message indicating that "WARNING: you have JFFS enabled. Make sure you have a backup of its content, as upgrading your firmware MIGHT overwrite it!" It's not clear to me how to manage and back-up this internal partition on the router. How does one do this?

Don't worry about it - if you're not sure what JFFS is, then it means you're not using it. This is for people who use the JFFS partition to store customized config or scripts, to remind them to also keep a copy of those files elsewhere.

Don't worry about it - if you're not sure what JFFS is, then it means you're not using it. This is for people who use the JFFS partition to store customized config or scripts, to remind them to also keep a copy of those files elsewhere.

Sorry to sound like a 5-year old, but to store customized config or scripts - to accomplish what on this router? Where can one find out more about this? Always learning, thanks.

378.52 has two different NAT loopback methods you can chose from.

Asus's: this one should work regardless of Adaptve QoS. It was broken in recent firmware releases from Asus, I don't remember in which release they fixed it.

Merlin's: this is the one that wasn't working with Adaptive QoS. 378.52 attempted to work around it by restarting the firewall on various DPI-related events that would usually break it.

I recommend you experiment with both methods, as one of them might work better for you. For me, both of them were working fine in my own tests.

Ok, great. On our RT-AC3200 running 378.52_2, I can confirm that Asus's NAT loopback works with Adaptive QoS enabled, but doesn't with Merlin's selected. Thanks.

The web UI seems to be really slow occasionally. It sometimes takes 30 seconds to load a page. When I check the CPU usage through SSH the httpd process has 70 to 90% CPU usage when that happens. This is with HTTPS enabled.

EDIT: this is on a AC66U.

in my case, I resetted 6 months of per IP traffic usage and stop using https, don't really know which steps help but no more UI drag. When httpd -s misbehaved, even my SSH session can be sometime dropped.

Sorry to sound like a 5-year old, but to store customized config or scripts - to accomplish what on this router? Where can one find out more about this? Always learning, thanks.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

e.g. create an email script to send notification if router unexpectedly reboots, and also to automatically authenticate SMART DNS via a web page whenever the WAN IP changes etc.

see the examples

Last edited: