What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.53 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This week I discovered that my WeMo switches were all blinking blue/orange because they were not connected to my WiFi network. Also the WeMo App was unable to discover them. However, my RT-AC66U router still shows the switches in the network map, even after a manual refresh.

I tried to factory restore and reconnect the WeMo switches for several hours, but was unable to do so (even using an open guest network with no protection). When I tried to connect one of these switches to the (WPA2 protected) network of a family member (with a non-Asus router) it connected at the first attempt.

Did anything change in this firmware that might explain why the switches do no connect properly? (they did connect in the past)

This week I discovered that my WeMo switches were all blinking blue/orange because they were not connected to my WiFi network. Also the WeMo App was unable to discover them. However, my RT-AC66U router still shows the switches in the network map, even after a manual refresh.

I tried to factory restore and reconnect the WeMo switches for several hours, but was unable to do so (even using an open guest network with no protection). When I tried to connect one of these switches to the (WPA2 protected) network of a family member (with a non-Asus router) it connected at the first attempt.

Did anything change in this firmware that might explain why the switches do no connect properly? (they did connect in the past)

Hum... I'm having similar issues with Philips Hue! With no apparent reason, the light from the bridge starts blinking indicating that there is no connection with router! Here I'm with AC87 though...

Hum... I'm having similar issues with Philips Hue! With no apparent reason, the light from the bridge starts blinking indicating that there is no connection with router! Here I'm with AC87 though...
I have a Philips Hue as well. Simply unplugging the power cord of the bridge and plugging it in again solved that connection issue for me (but the setup is way simpler than WeMo, as the Hue bridge is connected to the router via a wire).

Hi Merlin
Thanks for great firmware I've been using it since I bought my AC66U last year.

Today I checked system logs and found a lot of abnormal login attempts. I checked settings and Web Access was disabled as it was by default. Switching on and off didn't help so I had to enable IP filtering .

Some security suites will try to scan for web servers on your LAN. If your WAN access is disabled, then that's most likely the source of the connection attempts.

I came here to see if I was the only one. Random times ill wake up, come home, or just be in the middle of using the internet and Ill have to power the router down to get it working again.

Long time lurker/merlin supporter with AC68. Hopefully this helps someone out. I was on 378.50 for a couple months with no issues, worked great. Upgraded to 378.53 and did NOT do any type of resetting, just a plain firmware upgrade. Seems like it took a week or so, but I started getting random "internet down" issues exactly as you (and a few others) described. Only way to get internet back was to reboot the router. I was checking cables, verifying "normal" not "aggressive", checking modem signal strength, etc. Everything looked fine. The last clue was that when this would happen, I could not even ping my router (lan pc). Seemed like the router was crashing or becoming unresponsive. As a last attempt, I did a factory reset (still on 378.53) and re-keyed all my settings. It has been 4 days and it has been 100% rock solid, no internet down issues since. I was getting them daily, sometimes 6 or 7 times a day. Just wanted to share....

Hi Merlin,
Great piece of work you are doing!

I have a bug report (you might know it all ready, but wanted to file one just in case you don't);

Problem:
DHCP doesn't work my MacBook Pro late 2007 running OSX 10.10.3 using 378.53 version on RT-AC87U over WiFi (LAN cable works though). Version 378.52_2 works without any problem, so I'm back on 378.52_2 until fixed.

Symptom:
My Mac tried to connect to the WLAN until time-out, it succeeds to connect to the WiFi but without getting any IPv4 adress. It does get a IPv6 adress most of the times (I'm using both IPv4 and IPv6 in my network for various reasons), but it doesn't manage to even do a ping.

Thanks again for great software!
Kind regards,
/Johan

Found a bug in this latest firmware for the AC68U; on the screens when it shows it has changed something it lists it as a N66U. See screenshot attached.

NOTE: I am running an AC68U, NOT an N66U!

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 651
Long time lurker/merlin supporter with AC68. Hopefully this helps someone out. I was on 378.50 for a couple months with no issues, worked great. Upgraded to 378.53 and did NOT do any type of resetting, just a plain firmware upgrade. Seems like it took a week or so, but I started getting random "internet down" issues exactly as you (and a few others) described. Only way to get internet back was to reboot the router. I was checking cables, verifying "normal" not "aggressive", checking modem signal strength, etc. Everything looked fine. The last clue was that when this would happen, I could not even ping my router (lan pc). Seemed like the router was crashing or becoming unresponsive. As a last attempt, I did a factory reset (still on 378.53) and re-keyed all my settings. It has been 4 days and it has been 100% rock solid, no internet down issues since. I was getting them daily, sometimes 6 or 7 times a day. Just wanted to share....

Iv been having this problem as well.. What seemed to work for me was turning off Adaptive QOS. (as well as Traffic Analyzer)....Were you getting abysimal traceroutes and pings and web pages were timing out untill you rebooted?

I was rebooting 2x a day...
Turning off QOS (and Traffic Analyzer ) seemed to resolve this (did a factory set before installing it)
Somethings amiss with this version and it seems to involve QOS and PPPoE as well as TA...
RT AC68U..
-J

Last edited:
Found a bug in this latest firmware for the AC68U; on the screens when it shows it has changed something it lists it as a N66U. See screenshot attached.

That's an offline page stored in your browser that's there from a previous router. You need to delete the offline content (different from the browser cache) to get rid of it.

Hi Merlin,
just wanted to mention I used the .54 alpha for the AC87u you mentioned in another thread somewhere for a few days and it really seemed the help the AC87u. Can't really point to a feature but stability in the house seemed better than with the .53. It ran stable for 3-4 days. I just switched now to check out one of these early asus betas (6017 or something) for no real reason and I can already see so many things missing compared to your versions.

Will probably switch back soon. This .54 alpha version wasn't on your mediafire server. What's the best thread to follow for these kind of releases you might share? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found it: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/github-snapshot-test-builds-updated-30-may-2015.24659/

Last edited:
Will probably switch back soon. This .54 alpha version wasn't on your mediafire server. What's the best thread to follow for these kind of releases you might share? Thanks.

No specific thread, I will start a new thread whenever I release any alpha/beta builds.

This is the thread currently devoted to the 378.54 alpha builds.

Let me just start by saying nice work with this firmware!

The IGMP Proxy issue was mentioned earlier in this thread and I don't think it has been mentioned since, I've tried the earlier 378.52_2 which works, 378.52_3 does not.

I have just tried the latest version of the Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.378.6065 and can confirm that this works correctly.

If you require any help testing this I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks

TLE.

I'm getting the same thing. Brand new router as of last Saturday and immediatly loaded 378.53. I've had at least twice now where I wake up and the Internet is down. I'm currently using the "aggressive" setting on the WAN connection due to that being the default. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I can switch it to "normal" if that is advised. I would like to mention that when the Internet is not working it appears to be an issue with the router as I cannot ping it or connect to the web interface. I have also noticed a bit of a lag on general Internet browsing as well as some buffering when using apps such as YouTube and especially Sling TV. I did not have that lag on my prior router (Securifi Almond+). Let me know if I can provide anything to help troubleshoot. Thanks!!

Want to see something really weird, run XVortex (Rmerlin firmware modified for Netgear) on a Netgear r7000. It reports model R7000. :rolleyes:

Want to see something really weird, run XVortex (Rmerlin firmware modified for Netgear) on a Netgear r7000. It reports model R7000. :rolleyes:

Whats weird about this ? You are running a firmware that was never intended to be used with a Netgear router. Expect quirky issues..

I'm also seeing a weird issue on two of my raspberry pi's using wireless. I cannot ssh to them sometimes. I try to ping them and the initial pings all fail and after a bit starts working. After the ping works, I can ssh to them. See below:

ping 192.168.5.189

PING 192.168.5.189 (192.168.5.189): 56 data bytes

ping: sendto: Host is down

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

Request timeout for icmp_seq 11

64 bytes from 192.168.5.189: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=185.219 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.5.189: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=4.629 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.5.189: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=5.386 ms

^C

Whats weird about this ? You are running a firmware that was never intended to be used with a Netgear router. Expect quirky issues..[/QUOTE

I know that, just being funny, and do not get quirky issues running XWRT (XVortex mod of Merlin's firmware. Was just being funny about Bob_Collins was saying he was seeing weird stuff in the name field.
The XVortex modified RMerin firmware runs better then anything I have ever run on the Netgear r7000. Had run Tomato, DD-WRT and of course OEM for me.
--bill

As a follow up to my issue..

I installed the stock Asus firmware and did a factory reset. The issue was still present. I then tried installing Shibby Tomato, also did a reset after that was installed. I've only been on this for almost an hour, but the ping and ssh issues are gone. It also seems like that slight lag that was present when browsing the Internet is also gone. Seems like something in the Asus firmware is not right and causing the issue.

If I understand you right, this is a wireless ssh connectivity issue?

try to compare the default wireless settings of both firmware's.

In my experience in terms of wireless reliability I would put this order from best to worst.

John's fork with the #a region > tomatousb > New asus firmwares including merlin's.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!