What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.53 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So should I disable STP on my 3200?

I see no reason to have STP enabled on a home network. Few folks are going to have switches interconnected with multiple paths.

Quote from Cisco that nets what STP is I think:
Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP) prevents loops from being formed when switches or bridges are interconnected via multiple paths. Spanning-Tree Protocol implements the 802.1D IEEE algorithm by exchanging BPDU messages with other switches to detect loops, and then removes the loop by shutting down selected bridge interfaces. This algorithm guarantees that there is one and only one active path between two network devices.

--bill

Is AiProtection protection available for the older routers like RT-N16 on merlin firmware?

No, only ARM-based routers, which means the RT-AC56U and higher.

So should I disable STP on my 3200?

Only if you have a really fast Internet connection (i.e. something in the 600-1000 Mbps range).

Make sure it's actually enabled by checking on the Tools -> Sysinfo page.

Also, disable STP under LAN -> Switch Control then reboot. STP is not compatible with Flow Acceleration.

STP disable and HW on with CTF + FA.

Still "slow" network...
upload_2015-5-12_9-40-16.png

Upload for this run were 779Mbit/s

Suggestions!?! :)

/Christian

Last edited:
To quote myself (http://www.snbforums.com/threads/spanning-tree-protocol-useful-or-not.22503/#post-165261)

STP is for use between layer 2 devices such as bridges and switches (not between ports on the same device).
If the only bridge/switch on your network is your Asus device then STP will serve no purpose.
STP is useful when your network topology allows for multiple paths between bridges and switches (e.g. having paired up redundant switches connected to servers) - STP evaluates costs between these devices and sets the default route to be the lowest cost, which creates a single loop-free route.

For more info, I found the STP info from the CCNA course very useful, the following link is quite close to the official Cisco documentation: http://www.freeccnastudyguide.com/study-guides/ccna/ch6/stp-2/

STP disable and HW on with CTF + FA.

Still "slow" network...
View attachment 3807
Upload for this run were 779Mbit/s

Suggestions!?! :)

/Christian

779 Mbps is pretty much what you're going to get, based on all the various benchmark/reviews for these routers. You won't get a full gigabit of WAN throughput out of a home router.

If the speed is different in just one direction, then it could be a limitation of the site from which you test. Could also be a bad Ethernet cable, if there are many packet retransmits.

779 Mbps is pretty much what you're going to get, based on all the various benchmark/reviews for these routers. You won't get a full gigabit of WAN throughput out of a home router.

If the speed is different in just one direction, then it could be a limitation of the site from which you test. Could also be a bad Ethernet cable, if there are many packet retransmits.

Ok!

But if I just change my router and instead only using input Ethernet I get around 700Mbit. Strange or? Whats the difference between upload vs download (firewall) firmware ? I rather have 779 down instead of upload.

I got 600Mbit with your former build from last year...

Ok!

But if I just change my router and instead only using input Ethernet I get around 700Mbit. Strange or? Whats the difference between upload vs download (firewall) firmware ? I rather have 779 down instead of upload.

I got 600Mbit with your former build from last year...

Could be the second Ethernet cable that you are adding when plugging the router between the modem and the PC.

Also note that many providers will require you to turn off the modem for a given period of time (can vary between 5 and 30 mins) when moving it between two different interfaces (for instance between a PC and a router) for the connection to fully reset.

updated and all looks good only thing still jumps out at me is the Client status Wired tab still says (4) when there really is only 2 wired clients

I pushed LED on/off button and they go off. it somehow automatically turned back on when I change few settings(button still pushed as OFF). anyone experience this?

Could be the second Ethernet cable that you are adding when plugging the router between the modem and the PC.

Also note that many providers will require you to turn off the modem for a given period of time (can vary between 5 and 30 mins) when moving it between two different interfaces (for instance between a PC and a router) for the connection to fully reset.

Hi again,

I will try switching cable when I'm back home...thank you for your time.

BR/Christian

Where we can store a custom script. If i store my script on /tmp it is getting lost after reboot. i tried to place the under /etc but it says read only file system.

Where we can store a custom script. If i store my script on /tmp it is getting lost after reboot. i tried to place the under /etc but it says read only file system.

You have to enable the JFFS partition, format it (via web interface you can check the option "format on next boot"), and there (/jffs) you can put the scripts.

You have to enable the JFFS partition, format it (via web interface you can check the option "format on next boot"), and there (/jffs) you can put the scripts.
I think this is enabled by default with this firmware. But i have another question. @RMerlin documentation says (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/JFFS) you should not put log files into jffs. But i can see a log file (syslog) under this partition. Is that a bug or done on purpose ?

I think this is enabled by default with this firmware. But i have another question. @RMerlin documentation says (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/JFFS) you should not put log files into jffs. But i can see a log file (syslog) under this partition. Is that a bug or done on purpose ?

The partition should be empty, except for a couple of directories, are you sure that the partition is mounted?

ssh to your router and type this:
cd /jffs
find

it should list some dirs, but that's it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!