What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 beta 2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh trust me, the intel software was never part of the equation hehe. I just unpacked the drivers and manually installed the required files using device manager. But I will try and play around with the advanced settings to see if they make a difference. I have been using the merlin fw for a while now ( have gone through 3 asus router) and I never had an issue like this, so I just wanted to let someone know just in case. I appreciate all your help :)
May want to try and forget the connection on that device. Then rejoin. That has been known to help these types of issues especially when there is a driver change with the router. Sounds like snake oil I know but it is documented to help sometimes. More info here

Last edited:
If you are having issues with both the 2.4 GHz band (which is Broadcom-based) and 5 GHz (which is Quantenna-based), the issue lies most likely on your laptop.

Try disabling Beamforming. My Nexus 4 never really liked it either.
Hi,

The Beamforming was the issue, now the 5GHz WLAN works as well as the 2.4GHz.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Thanks RMerlin just tried Beta 2 on my 87u and so far so good.
One minor annoyance that have had throughout all the firmware releases is the log entry every hour, "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

Any sign of a fix from ASUS or is that something with my setup?

Last edited:
Hi,

The Beamforming was the issue, now the 5GHz WLAN works as well as the 2.4GHz.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:
On latest FW is already disabled by default, his issue is on the client side, other devices dont show any problems.

Hi merlin, thx for the update.
When I switch the Internet ON or OFF on "Network Map" page, there's only "Applying setting..." and a indicator spinning but no "xx%" shown and stalling there infinitely unless you refresh the page manually. The underlying job was done though. I'm using PPPoE, BTW.

AC68U

Last edited:
Thanks RMerlin just tried Beta 2 on my 87u and so far so good.
One minor annoyance that have had throughout all the firmware releases is the log entry every hour, "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

Any sign of a fix from ASUS or is that something with my setup?
Does it cause any issues? Remember, it's only a log entry...

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 Beta 2 is now available for all supported models.

I need the OpenVPN key/certificate management to be tested, to ensure that the code I wrote to allow the webui to still manage the certificates even after their JFFS migration does work properly.

Merlin,

I installed 378.55 beta 2 on my RT-AC68U and can report that all is well when I remotely connect to the OpenVPN server on my router; furthermore, the keys and certs still appear as before in the Advanced Settings of the VPN Server page. (In addition, and because of another posting, I can also report that my PPTP VPN server also works.)

And, whilst I'm at it, thanks for making the firmware available to us all.

Martin

Good information by Merlin in that thread. One laptop was constantly dropping and even crashing on 2.4 Ghz band on the Asus Betas, and on Merlin's latest Beta on the RT AC-87U. Uninstalled Intel Proset Wireless and another Intel wireless something (forgot which one), uninstalled a bunch of bloatware, and on the wifi adapter disabled the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", AND uninstalled Adobe Flash. Almost 10 hours now and no drops or crashes.

May want to try and forget the connection on that device. Then rejoin. That has been known to help these types of issues especially when there is a driver change with the router. Sounds like snake oil I know but it is documented to help sometimes. More info here

Does this beta have the latest 5GHz Quantenna firmware for the RT-AC87 (i.e. the one included in Asus beta firmwares 7010 and 6687)? Thanks.
Dude read the changelogs please. :rolleyes:

The answers to every question that can possibly be asked about anything whatsoever lie therein. Okay, in all seriousness it is right there. Here is the link which I suggest you save for future use (and anyone else who doesn't already have it). :p

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog

If you had checked the most recent changelog and backtracked, it wouldn't have taken very long to find: :eek:

378.55 Beta 1 (3-July-2015)
- NEW: Merged with GPL 6117. Notable changes from Asus:
o New token-based webui authentication (more secure)
o OpenVPN certificates moved to JFFS2, saving nvram.
key/cert fields will show up empty on the webui,
any new key/cert you paste will be written back
to /jffs/openvpn/ . This means that if you revert
back to a previous version, your key/certs will
no longer be in nvram, so OpenVPN instances will
fail to start.
o New network client list on the network map
o CTF support for PPTP/L2TP WAN (Russian ISPs) (ARM)

So there you have it. :)

Hi Merlin,
I'm using an RT-AC87U with beta 378.55_beta 2 and have a problem since version 378_53 when using OpenVPN Client + Policy Rules.
VPN is working fine, but for my PC (which is not defined in the policy rules - bypassing VPN), the internet speed becomes slow and laggy after the router is running about 1-2 days.
For example, normal speed is 20 m/bit but speedtest.net shows it dropping to around 8-10 with the ping bar stuttering as it progresses.
Rebooting the RT-AC87U fixes the problem, or if I connect directly to the modem instead (with the same PC) then the internet speed is normal again.
Any ideas? (note: I haven't done a factory reset since version 378_53)
Except for this problem it's working great so far - thanks for all your work!
Cheers

Good job! i dont know why with .55(beta 1-2), but GUI now is not anymore slow. Pages loading instantly like my n66.Internet is fast.
And i like the new login authentication method, with G15 Logitech keyboard and 1 macro its even faster than before to log in.
No issues at all with the new wl driver ( both 2.4 and 5g)

Great job again ;)

Set up RT-N66R with 55 Beta 2. Tested VPN from remote location successfully. Web GUI seems to work faster. 5 GHZ seems to have less power but still works well. Seems that clients that have not been seen in a while are removed from NVRAM. Does anyone know if the OpenVPN certs in /jffs are deleted upon a factory reset?

Compared to which previous version?

Set up RT-N66R with 55 Beta 2. Tested VPN from remote location successfully. Web GUI seems to work faster. 5 GHZ seems to have less power but still works well. Seems that clients that have not been seen in a while are removed from NVRAM. Does anyone know if the OpenVPN certs in /jffs are deleted upon a factory reset?

Not with my firmware. I removed the code Asus put in place that would erase the JFFS content whenever resetting back to factory default.

The RT-N66U however runs the risk of seeing its jffs content be lost after a firmware upgrade, which is currently a problem with the OpenVPN content getting moved there.

Why particularly the N66U problem with jffs? Surely any firmware for any router that is bigger than previous may reduce the number of erase blocks available for the jffs partition? Definitely recommend saving copy of any jffs contents to external usb drive before an upgrade (and I personally only use jffs for the static scripts that need to be there!)

Why particularly the N66U problem with jffs? Surely any firmware for any router that is bigger than previous may reduce the number of erase blocks available for the jffs partition? Definitely recommend saving copy of any jffs contents to external usb drive before an upgrade (and I personally only use jffs for the static scripts that need to be there!)

All the newer models have 128 MB of flash, so they use fixed partition sizes. 32 (or 64 for newer ARMs) is reserved for the firmware, and the unused 64 or 96 MB is reserved for brcmnand (which is used by JFFS).

The RT-N66U is the only model that I still support which only has 32 MB of flash, and therefore that 32 MB is shared between the firmware and jffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!