What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is just an fyi as the fix 'fix' is easy.
I have no idea if this happens in previous releases - if I disable WPS I lose connection to my ea n66 & 68r(media bridge) both in 5ghz mode. what makes this really curious as I don't lose connection to the other ea n66 set for 2.4 or any other 5ghz NON ASUS HARDWARE. went thru this multiple times last nite- bunch of equipment almost went out the back door:).
anyway, leaving wps on(I only wanted to turn it off to reduce overhead and hopefully some slight heat reduction) is no biggy and takes care of the problem, just thought it might be useful info and seeing if anybody else has had same issue.

I don't know if I can ask this here, but I upgraded to .56 yesterday. After the update I did a factory reset. I did not import any old settings after that. So I have a 'clean' installation.
Now I have trouble with the routing I think. I have problems connecting my Macbook (5Ghz wifi) to my NAS connected with a cable to the router. (RT-AC66U)
Is there something I can test or check to see where it goes wrong? I just have one IP configuration for all my clients. For the NAS I made a reservation.

Hi, Been running 378.56 Merlin firmware on my routers without any kind of problem. Good work Merlin :)

My RT-AC56U broke last week, and today I received a new one. I flashed beta2 of this said version onto it, because the Mediafire-site didn't show the stable one. It seemed to work fine, until I set an ssh key - after that it got stuck in a boot loop. I'll flash the stable version tomorrow and see if that helps. What format is the key supposed to be in anyway? There should be a tooltip with an explanation about it + it should check that the key is valid before applying it. Maybe it does that already though?

See, this is the kind of things that is making things become increasingly difficult not only for me, but for some users as well. The overclock issues wouldn't have happened if it weren't for people forcing Asus's hand in locking things down.

Because people were abusing of this, the next generation of Broadcom routers now has encrypted the CFE. Piece by piece, we are losing control of our own routers. And soon, developers like me will no longer be able to do anything at all. Everyone will have to run a signed, OEM-approved firmware. It will be game over for me, Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and every other custom router firmwares out there.

Actions have consequences. Let's be responsible. I'm not going down the line of playing cat and mouse games with manufacturers or the FCC like you are currently doing. Because this can only end one way: BADLY. For us.

The recent closing of router components have already started to make my job a hell of a lot harder now than it used to be. At this rate, it will eventually reach the breaking point where doing this will no longer be interesting, or even possible for me.

I generally agree, but this is not the whole truth. I bought an ac capable router (RT-AC66U) to escape the crowded 2,4 GHz band (13 channels in europe). But what surprise: the 5 GHz band is restricted to 4 channels, because ASUS/Broadcom were not able until now to implement DFS to open legally the whole range of the 5 GHz channels. I really understand, that this disappointment leads users to the mentioned abuse. Moreover the FCC has no jurisdiction over countries outside the USA.

My RT-AC56U broke last week, and today I received a new one. I flashed beta2 of this said version onto it, because the Mediafire-site didn't show the stable one. It seemed to work fine, until I set an ssh key - after that it got stuck in a boot loop. I'll flash the stable version tomorrow and see if that helps. What format is the key supposed to be in anyway? There should be a tooltip with an explanation about it + it should check that the key is valid before applying it. Maybe it does that already though?

If it does a boot loop then it's an actual bug. What's the format of the key that you pasted, so I can try to reproduce it?

The proper format is the same used by openssh (and Linux in general). It's different from the format used by SecureCRT (i.e. it's not in PEM format)

The key should look somewhat like this (this is based on my ecdsa key, an rsa key should me quite similar):

Code:
ecdsa-sha2-nistp256 AAAAE2VjZHNhLREtbmlzdHAyAAAIbmWkjWAyNTYAAABCCO76w7ajXhqWjFsoRTZ+6j3ozO9oi2Nc7G9Y8etEoP1qTb3LmsakHqHMpvN7tPVABsAhG+x7sKIOPRls8kaVRPdA= user@host

I generally agree, but this is not the whole truth. I bought an ac capable router (RT-AC66U) to escape the crowded 2,4 GHz band (13 channels in europe). But what surprise: the 5 GHz band is restricted to 4 channels, because ASUS/Broadcom were not able until now to implement DFS to open legally the whole range of the 5 GHz channels. I really understand, that this disappointment leads users to the mentioned abuse. Moreover the FCC has no jurisdiction over countries outside the USA.

I think DFS support was only added in newer models, but I could be wrong (we don't use DFS here).

As for the region issues, Asus has recently been implementing the capability of changing the global region to a more specific one. Once again, it's possible that it's not available for the older chipsets as used by the AC66U - I don't know for sure.

Hi! This is interesting. You mean you really only have the lowest four DFS channels available (i.e. the non-DFS ones)? Is that the case with all RT-AC66 firmware versions?

I believe that this must be specific to the AC66 somehow. I do not own one, but my AC87 has the 5GHz DFS channels available. Might that be because in that model the 5GHz is not Broadcom based? I've bought my router in the EU and I'm operating it in the EU. I'm also using channel 13 for my 2.4GHz and have been all the time since I got the router. Currently I'm using channel 104 for my 5GHz wi-fi and it's working. At least that's been the case with all firmwares up to 378.55. (I will only upgrade to a post-55 firmware once the AC87 wan-problens have been nailed down and fixed, as I need my router for work - I wasn't able to test 56 from my side yet but cannot really take any risk either, that's why)

The RT-AC66U is not the only one restricted, the RT-AC56U is also limited to the same lower 5GHz channels. Something I don't understand as it's almost the same as the RT-AC68U.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Does the first setting filter what goes into the log while second setting filters which log entries get displayed?
Set "log more urgent than = Debug" (determines what goes into the log)

and "default loglevel = Notice" (determines the log level of messages generated by the base router code, it was set to Emergency, level 0, in earlier releases). Note that this does not change the loglevel for the various open source modules, i.e. OpenVPN still determines the loglevel for each of its messages.

I also have to add that, again, chaning the icon to a custom one, makes the LAN DHCP device name to disappear...

I haven't looked at the icon handling yet, didn't have time before the 378.56 release.

Hi. I found a problem when editing PF with some ports in the definition. see uploaded file.

Basically, when editing the setup for a PF setting with a number of ports that goes off field, the "..." that is visualized is then also considered in the edited field...

thanks,

M

Fixed. There was a typo in the previous fix.

After upgrade on my ac68u i have problem with internet:
pppoe is connected to isp but i don't have internet on lan.
I Have reset al data to default, and more restart cold/warm
I Have the same problem on 378.55 e 378.56 i have downgraded to 378.54_2 and all works well..

After trying several test firmware 578.56 for the last test so I could run my asus rt-ac87u now I have working with 578.56.1 asus thanks for your efforts in enabling funcione..saludos

Just kept getting constant 'syn is not' error messages amongst other weirdness. Anyways, I bit the bullet and reinstalled the firmware. Still didn't work. Tried changing the NTP server to "206.108.0.131" and that did the trick.

Also, to add, I did not have any custom scripts or edited the dnsmasq in anyway (that I am aware of). Nothing unique in my setup, no ssh, no custom scripts, everything is set up via GUI only.

Will keep an eye on it and report back any issues.

Thanks Merlin!

I am getting that one too. Never happened before 378.56, is it a bug?

Oct 28 12:49:48 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Oct 28 12:49:48 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Oct 28 12:50:18 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Oct 28 12:50:18 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Oct 28 12:50:48 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Oct 28 12:50:48 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Oct 28 12:51:18 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Oct 28 12:51:18 hour monitor: ntp is not syn

I have tried changing pool.ntp.org to direct IP address but that didn't resolve this issue for me.

I saw this thread but I am not really sure how to apply these changes.

Hello,
I have a strange problem on an AC68U and Merlin firmware 378.56
if I do a ping test from "Network Tools - Network Analysis" I always have this result:

PING www.google.com (173.194.116.82): 56 data bytes

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

My connection to it is working and surfing the internet

what is wrong ???

sorry for my question but I'm a noob in networking

thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!