What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else with VLAN issues and an RT-AC87U, please try this new test build:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nw5g3cvd1mchdv2/RT-AC87U_378.56_0-testwan-gbd624b5.zip

It resolves an issue with a missing EMF component, mostly used for IPTV.

Still disconnected

Here is the bootlog:

http://pastebin.com/aXYZPezF

First with 9177 firmware after factory reset and just wan config where you can see pppd is connecting.
Then flashing testwan-gbd624b5 where I can't see differences except no messages from pppd conecting after the line:
Code:
pppd[490]: pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0

and the recurring lines:
Code:
pppd[515]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
at the end.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi all,
I want to know if also these release keeps the RAM busy more then 90% as expected, I know that is normal since previous releases, but sometimes I have streaming issues due to RAM almost full, so every time I have to make a reboot to free up the memory.
RT-AC68U

Still disconnected

Here is the bootlog:

http://pastebin.com/aXYZPezF

First with 9177 firmware after factory reset and just wan config where you can see pppd is connecting.
Then flashing testwan-gbd624b5 where I can't see differences except no messages from pppd conecting after the line:
Code:
pppd[490]: pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0

and the recurring lines:
Code:
pppd[515]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
at the end.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Time out waiting for PADO packets is usually a PPPoE authentication problem with your ISP. The router is waiting for a discovery offer from the server. See here. You may need to contact your ISP to resolve this. Have you tried another router to see if it can connect?

Time out waiting for PADO packets is usually a PPPoE authentication problem with your ISP. The router is waiting for a discovery offer from the server. See here. You may need to contact your ISP to resolve this. Have you tried another router to see if it can connect?
That is not correct, that message means the router cannot contact the access concetrator (BBRAS) at all, it doesn't even reach the authentication stage. That means in his case that the VLAN settings he requires do not work and the PPPoE packets do not make it past the modem/cable box/fiber box/whatever he has. Definitely not an ISP problem when one firmware works and another does not!

9177 and 378.55 firmwares working

378.56 not working

Definelity not an ISP problem and its happening to other users with different ISP in various countries.

I installed the two tested firmware and still does not work I do not understand that if it works with version 378.55 to 378.56 not because something is not right in the firmware..espero solucioneis if it will not wait another more modern and I hope this does work . .Thank you

Hi RMerlin,

To not have any limitation, since ~ 2 years i'm using #a:

wl0_country_code=#a
wl1_country_code=#a
size: 49681 bytes (15855 left)
regulation_domain=#a
regulation_domain_5G=#a

You can no longer override the bootloader regional settings through nvram. They get overwritten by the firmware at boot time.

What I could find out so far regarding the VLAN issues:

• Only happens with the RT-AC87U
  • The DHCP client (or PPP client) does start, however it doesn't hear anything back from the modem

Most likely reason is that while the vlan settings are applied to the switch, they aren't working properly. That might be caused by a problem with the closed-source component specifically used by the RT-AC87U. I'll have to see if it's because the router is using the wrong binary blob for that router model. That won't be easy to track down...

You can no longer override the bootloader regional settings through nvram. They get overwritten by the firmware at boot time.
@RMerlin, sometimes you more sarcastic than the FCC :) Do not forget, you do the custom firmware.
BTW we able to redefine regional settings in the CFE itself. See my post.

Last edited:
Hi all,
RT-AC66U 378.56 broke nat-loopback and i reverse to 378.55.
i have the some issue, plz how i go back to 378.55, i need help with that, i be waiting for new firmware, thx.

@RMerlin, sometimes you more sarcastic than the FCC :) Do not forget, you do the custom firmware.
BTW we able to redefine regional settings in the CFE itself. See my post.

See, this is the kind of things that is making things become increasingly difficult not only for me, but for some users as well. The overclock issues wouldn't have happened if it weren't for people forcing Asus's hand in locking things down.

Because people were abusing of this, the next generation of Broadcom routers now has encrypted the CFE. Piece by piece, we are losing control of our own routers. And soon, developers like me will no longer be able to do anything at all. Everyone will have to run a signed, OEM-approved firmware. It will be game over for me, Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and every other custom router firmwares out there.

Actions have consequences. Let's be responsible. I'm not going down the line of playing cat and mouse games with manufacturers or the FCC like you are currently doing. Because this can only end one way: BADLY. For us.

The recent closing of router components have already started to make my job a hell of a lot harder now than it used to be. At this rate, it will eventually reach the breaking point where doing this will no longer be interesting, or even possible for me.

I got this message on RT-AC68P. Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.
Do I have to clear jffs partition?

I got this message on RT-AC68P. Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.
Do I have to clear jffs partition?

Reboot the router with no USB disk plugged in, to have enough free RAM, then try again.

See, this is the kind of things that is making things become increasingly difficult not only for me, but for some users as well. The overclock issues wouldn't have happened if it weren't for people forcing Asus's hand in locking things down.

Because people were abusing of this, the next generation of Broadcom routers now has encrypted the CFE. Piece by piece, we are losing control of our own routers. And soon, developers like me will no longer be able to do anything at all. Everyone will have to run a signed, OEM-approved firmware. It will be game over for me, Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and every other custom router firmwares out there.

Actions have consequences. Let's be responsible. I'm not going down the line of playing cat and mouse games with manufacturers or the FCC like you are currently doing. Because this can only end one way: BADLY. For us.

The recent closing of router components have already started to make my job a hell of a lot harder now than it used to be. At this rate, it will eventually reach the breaking point where doing this will no longer be interesting, or even possible for me.
I completely agree, and to be honest, the moment our ability to run custom firmware is no there I will probably switch to a setup I was using in the past, a modular setup of separate modem, router, Wi-Fi access point. I want at least the actual networking part, the routing plus the services like DNS, QoS etc to be under my control. I can accept a black box for the WiFi but not for the core networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!