What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Make sure you don't have Start with WAN enabled, otherwise that will cause the VPN service to automatically restart on settings application.
Thanks, but Start with WAN is not enabled.

Still wondering what's up with my 1000mhz 68U. Beyond the cpuinfo is there any other command I can run via CLI to identify the insides?

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Mon Nov 2 14:58:44 UTC 2015
nvram get model RT-AC68U
nvram get boardtype 0x0665
nvram get bl_version 1.0.2.5

BCM94709r found for board type 0x0665

Also while for the most part applying commands does not cause the USB 3 attached drive to get lost. However on some warm boots it is gone. I have to either do power off or unplug and then plug back in, of course, the drive. When this happens the LED is illuminated as if attached but it is not found.

Still something happening with an attached USB 3 drive during some warm boots that doesn't find, reinitialize, something, the USB 3 drive.
Check the HW revision on the physical tag. New posts elsewhere on this forum indicates a new BCM 1GHz CPU in 68U HW Rev B1. You're one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm constantly logging into my router over SSH from my wireless laptop while doing development, no problem at all.
You're lucky then, I've had this fault since every build since 378.54.2 - reset the router/erased nvram/updated the firmware/reset again/erased again.....same fault.
The router works fine, once logged in via ssh - the wireless fails, constant random wireless connection loss on 2.4ghz - (need to disable the enable wireless) until the router reboots - then it works fine again until I go into the router via ssh.

Pup....

Thanks. Just wondering it its a fluke and I need to hit Fry's and pick up another for a Christmas present or if this is the default now for the 68U's B1's.

If the hardware is the same as BestBuy's 68P's, why spend the additional money?

When i was asking same question i told that after 8 days it was still increasing RAM usage. From 19 to 35% in 8 days of uplink. Decreasing back to 18-19% only after reboot.

Google about how Linux uses memory and you'll see that this is normal operation and is nothing to concern yourself with. Memory comes and goes as needed. Linux does a great job of managing memory and it is not a problem.

The other user (sorry, can't track them down right now) saw that the ram usage dropped after the third day or so. So, nothing to worry about. Ram is meant to be used and it is being used by the router as needed and freed when not anymore.

I understand Ram is meant to be used but that dont explain why it keeps slowly rising for no reason. I just noticed even if i click around the GUI for a few minutes making no changes to anything just looking around the Ram starts rising this makes no since what so ever very strange indeed. Again what happens when it reaches 100% ? Something is not right never had this happen on this router until the last two builds.

I have AC68U as router and AC66U as AP.
I can't realy say if it is something new in 378.56_2, but in AC68U, the client statut/list is far from being showing all devices currently connected to my network.
Usualy all clients connected directly to the AC68U via Ethernet or WIFI are correctly reported in the list, but devices that use the AP AC66U are "somethime" here, most of the time missing...
Even a reboot of both routers and/or devices doesn't solve the issue and I wonder why since devices are asking to the AC68U's DHCP their adresses and so AC68U should have so clue that devices x or y is here in the network.

If you have some idea I would be very pleased because not seeing wich devices are connected to my network is realy boring.

PS : of course all devices have access to SMB shares on my network, they can browse network, have Internet access etc...

I understand Ram is meant to be used but that dont explain why it keeps slowly rising for no reason. I just noticed even if i click around the GUI for a few minutes making no changes to anything just looking around the Ram starts rising this makes no since what so ever very strange indeed. Again what happens when it reaches 100% ? Something is not right never had this happen on this router until the last two builds.

It won't just keep going up until the router crashes. Linux will use it and free it up as needed. Stop worrying about something that is not a problem.

If you have an Android smartphone, take a look at the used memory just after booting and then hour by hour : you will see RAM usage increasing, even near to its max but as soon as a new app is launched, some mem get free up. I guess the RAM management on our router could be something near Android's one...not sure.

It won't just keep going up until the router crashes. Linux will use it and free it up as needed. Stop worrying about something that is not a problem.

I am not worried i have many routers here i can use if need be. I really would just like to understand why this happens when it never use to before, nothing more nothing less. Thanks for your comment.

I am not worried i have many routers here i can use if need be. I really would just like to understand why this happens when it never use to before, nothing more nothing less. Thanks for your comment.

Don't really know why it didn't before. But that is how it is supposed to work.

Used as needed by running processes and freed if needed by more current ones. The actual use of the network / router would dictate what path the ram use follows, of course.

Don't really know why it didn't before. But that is how it is supposed to work.

Used as needed by running processes and freed if needed by more current ones. The actual use of the network / router would dictate what path the ram use follows, of course.

From original post:
378.56_2 (2-Nov-2015)
- CHANGED: Reverted the memory buffering optimization
for ARM devices, as people keep panicking
over the lower amount of free RAM. You can
manually re-enable the optimization by setting
"drop_caches=0" in nvram.

From original post:
378.56_2 (2-Nov-2015)
- CHANGED: Reverted the memory buffering optimization
for ARM devices, as people keep panicking
over the lower amount of free RAM. You can
manually re-enable the optimization by setting
"drop_caches=0" in nvram.

Thats well and good but this fix or work around does not work as the Ram usage is still adding up. I can't wait till it hits 100% to see if you all are correct and will cause no issues. o_O Just looking through the GUI causes it to rise.

Thats well and good but this fix or work around does not work as the Ram usage is still adding up

Those are two completely different things. The buffer change had to do with the router showing nearly 75% of RAM usage after boot time. What you are seeing is a gradual increase of RAM usage, most likely related to Asus's recent changes to networkmap which generates a lot more dynamic data, presumably for use with the new mobile applications.

I noticed a bug with the openVPN client.
Whenever my router reboots, cron job at night daily, it switches on the vpn client.
Even when it was switched off at the first place.

Also when it is off and change a field on the openvpn client it switches it back on again.
Off course the first bug is more annoying, causing me to log in to the router in the mornning having me to switch off the openvpn client.

I couldn't find a mention of this in this thread.

I noticed a bug with the openVPN client.
Whenever my router reboots, cron job at night daily, it switches on the vpn client.
Even when it was switched off at the first place.
Two solutions:
- set "Start with WAN" to "No"! :eek:
- stop useless rebooting! :rolleyes:

Two solutions:
- set "Start with WAN" to "No"! :eek:
- stop useless rebooting! :rolleyes:
Ok Start with WAN makes sense.
As for the useless rebooting: i noticed in the past that my 5Ghz band would become unresponsive even though clients were connected to it.
Thats why i reboot every night.(prolly the Quantenna drivers)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!