What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm running stock 376_3626 on ac68u. Can I install this version directly or should I perform some incremental updates first?

For that matter, would it be advisable to update to latest stock version?
With 376_3626 you should be good.factory to default after if something is weird ( wi,fi , range, speed .. etc)

I'm running stock 376_3626 on ac68u. Can I install this version directly or should I perform some incremental updates first?

For that matter, would it be advisable to update to latest stock version?

No, just remove all USB devices, reboot your router and flash the latest firmware you want installed.

Then do a reset to factory defaults (mandatory) and minimally and manually configure the router (do not use a saved config file).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Hello,

I trying to setup IPv6 connection but I experience problem. I can't get IPv6 connetion at all. I have to use a static IPv6 configuration. I checked the setting with my internet provider and it looks OK, but none of my devices (PC, android, ...) passes IPv6 test and Windows machines says No internet acces for IPv6. Any idea what could be wrong? If there is a need to provide more details, please let me know.

Thaks

That warning was added by Asus to the stock firmware. That page is available in the LAN section, in the Switch Control tab. It's not visible in AP mode because NAT acceleration has no effect at all in AP mode. So, the way it currently works is correct - there's no point in being able to re-enable NAT acceleration in AP mode, as it doesn't do anything.
I don't see the Switch Control tab at all, as you suggest because I am using AP mode. So then the way it currently works is incorrect, that link should not be displayed on the Traffic Analyser page in AP mode and it is a awful bug that it disappears after you disable the NAT accel setting.

Ok Start with WAN makes sense.
As for the useless rebooting: i noticed in the past that my 5Ghz band would become unresponsive even though clients were connected to it.
Thats why i reboot every night.(prolly the Quantenna drivers)
Yea I also reboot daily to minimize 5 GHz connectivity issues. I am really getting fed up with Quantenna. They seem to have things on the right track now but its 16 months after appearing on the market with the AC87x platform. Asus is the only manufacturer still working with Quantenna and I suspect that those days may be numbered. Perhaps it's time to wait for the AC88U to appear on NewEgg as a refurb or open box purchase as I have had positive experiences with them thus far.

Hi. Just updated from RT-N66U_378.55_0 to RT-N66U_378.56_2 and keep getting logged out especially if I go into clients - view list. Client list also takes about 10 secs to display. Tried a reboot - no change so I guess it's down to a factory reset. I assume this means I will have to redo my manually assigned IP list... Would a reflash be worth doing (with no USB drives attached)? Sorry for such basic questions!

Update: Factory reset sorts these problems out. Shame about having to redo the manually assigned IP list or have I missed a trick here?

Last edited:
I don't see the Switch Control tab at all, as you suggest because I am using AP mode. So then the way it currently works is incorrect, that link should not be displayed on the Traffic Analyser page in AP mode and it is a awful bug that it disappears after you disable the NAT accel setting.

You and I visibly have different opinions as to what is an "awful bug". This is mostly cosmetical. I limit my changes to the existing webui pages because they make it very difficult afterward to merge future changes from Asus. This has zero impact on the router's performance or functionality.

This is normal. It's technically impossible to forward one single port to two different IPs. It's like having a door that can simultaneously open to two different rooms - you'd be basically breaking the laws of physics if you ever achieved this. :)
Anecdotally I believe that between 55 and 56 you have merged a bugfix from asus that previously allowed the type of forward above and the same thing via upnp. Hence some queries about why they can't violate the laws of tcp any more. I am curious as to how this was working partially enough before to fool people though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

* RT-AC56R
* MERLIN - 378.56_2

I'm having a problem as same as the above user of abescalamis.
foscam FI9831W doesn't work and can't connect to the WIFI after firmware upgraded.
It's just connected randomly, but it's unstable.
The previous version of 378.55 is fine, but 378.56_2 doesn't work.

Hope it would be fixed soon.

Anecdotally I believe that between 55 and 56 you have merged a bugfix from asus that previously allowed the type of forward above and the same thing via upnp. Hence some queries about why they can't violate the laws of tcp any more. I am curious as to how this was working partially enough before to fool people though.

Whichever entry was first in an iptables chain would forward the traffic, so the second rule was never reached.

* RT-AC56R
* MERLIN - 378.56_2

I'm having a problem as same as the above user of abescalamis.
foscam FI9831W doesn't work and can't connect to the WIFI after firmware upgraded.
It's just connected randomly, but it's unstable.
The previous version of 378.55 is fine, but 378.56_2 doesn't work.

Hope it would be fixed soon.

Wifi is closed source, and outside of my control.

If only a very specific type of device is affected, I recommend reinitializing that device (making it forget its previous configuration) and reconnecting it to the wifi network. Also, try disabling beamforming on the router, as some devices aren't fully compatible with it.

@L&LD, read the thread you linked to. Quite informative.
Just out of curiosity, why different ssid's after new firmware and factory reset?

There is microcode that is stored on each device for the driver setup and it is stored along with the ssid. If you can 'forget' and re-associate each device you connect to your network, that will do effectively the same thing as using a new ssid.

For myself, a new ssid is easier, faster and I don't forget to re-associate any devices either.

* RT-AC68U
* MERLIN - 378.56_2

I have the following problem with RT-AC68U and HP LaserJet Pro MFP127fn (network printer):

Network printer is set to go into "Standby" mode after 15 minutes of inactivity.
If I want to print something when the printer is in standby, it does not respond, does not return unless a stop button and a restart.

This problem only occurs if installed Merlin firmware (I tried last 3 variants) or AsusWRT firmware (I tried the last 2 versions)
If I install TomatoUSB Shibby version, this problem goes away and if I want to print even after a week of inactivity, the printer resumes from standby and print.

I need to use Merlin firmware.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

There is microcode that is stored on each device for the driver setup and it is stored along with the ssid. If you can 'forget' and re-associate each device you connect to your network, that will do effectively the same thing as using a new ssid.

For myself, a new ssid is easier, faster and I don't forget to re-associate any devices either.
Appreciate the explanation.
I'm a bit of a rookie with this stuff and it's good to have things explained from time to time.

Got a strange but serious issues with my AC87U on 378.56_2.

I run IncrediblePBX on my network for my home phone system and my phone lines are all SIP trunks from the telco. I had ran the same setup without problems for ages with 378.55 and prior but something real strange happened with 378.56_2. My pbx suddenly lost sip connections to the telco and could not reconnect. But once I change the IP address of the pbx, it were able to reconnect again without a hitch. Back using the old LAN IP, it will fail to reconnect. Will see if this happens again in the next few days.

Please help!

Last edited:
Wifi is closed source, and outside of my control.

If only a very specific type of device is affected, I recommend reinitializing that device (making it forget its previous configuration) and reconnecting it to the wifi network. Also, try disabling beamforming on the router, as some devices aren't fully compatible with it.

It does it, in all Wifi devices, it just that the camera makes the issue noticeable since it needs a stable connection to work properly, In the other devices they automatically disconnect and reconnect and its hard to notice it, I been testing and its doing it to all of my devices it seems that it looses some packets, I still need to do some more testing.

Thank you for the awesome firmware, I will wait for the next one, Do you think it will be ready for download by the beginning of December?

Last edited:
Hi,

I've done a factory reset and I'm getting frequent wifi dropouts on a Nexus 5 with an RT-AC87U. Could having both band SSIDs named the same thing cause problems? Anyone else with Nexus devices having problems with this build?

Edit: forgot router model, d'oh.

Hello,

*RT-N66U
*Merlin 378.56_2

I trying to setup IPv6 connection but I experience problem. I can't get IPv6 connetion at all. On the older version of Merlin, don't remember which, it works but not now. I have to use a static IPv6 configuration. I checked the setting with my internet provider and it looks OK, but none of my devices (PC, android, ...) passes IPv6 test and Windows machines says No internet acces for IPv6. Any idea what could be wrong? If there is a need to provide more details, please let me know. I made a factory reset but the problem is still there, no internet access for IPv6.

Thanks

Good afternoon!
RT-AC56U, 56_2.
I have enabled guest wi-fi network. But at the top of the page WEB Router
I do not see it in the list. This is something new ?
As far as I remember, in the FW 55 guest network to be displayed.

Снимок.JPG

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!