What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everybody,

Since 378.56_0 and 378.56_2 on my RT-AC87U I'm experiencing the problem that port forwarding SSH (port 22) to a internal host does not work from WAN/internet. Alghough I have disabled SSH access to the router from the outside in the system tab it looks to me that the router UI is blocking port 22 from outside even if a port forwarding exists.

I can work around this issue by removing port forwarding and re-adding it then it works until I reboot the router. Once rebooted port 22 becomes inaccessible again. This behaviour was clearly not present in earlier releases. Would be great if this bug could be fixed.

Thanks a lot

Hello to all. I 'm Andrea. Writing from Italy.
I bougth the Rt AC68U router last month, and installed Merlin. it's a very very good firmware compared with the asus standard.
But i have a very big issue: when i try to download or upgrade any IPhone app, it stats but after a little time i have a "impossible to upgrade" message from the app store. I ve tried to stop firewall, disconnect the 5ghz wifi, change ip, but nothing. With teh old router and standard asus firmware all was good. with merlin don't. do you have an idea on what to do for make apple store work again?

I've done a factory reset and I'm getting frequent wifi dropouts on a Nexus 5 with an RT-AC87U.
But i have a very big issue: when i try to download or upgrade any IPhone app, it stats but after a little time i have a "impossible to upgrade" message from the app store.
Disable beamforming under Wireless / Professional - know issue with Nexus 5 and other smartphones... :rolleyes:
@peressi.a : Did you do a factory reset after installing Merlin's firmware?

Disable beamforming under Wireless / Professional - know issue with Nexus 5 and other smartphones... :rolleyes:
@peressi.a : Did you do a factory reset after installing Merlin's firmware?
N0. i didn't understand i need also this. I tought that it was enought the upgrade to merlin as new fimware. If i need this i'll try. Is it from "Restore/Save/Upload Setting" tab and "Factory default" item?

N0. i didn't understand i need also this. I tought that it was enought the upgrade to merlin as new fimware. If i need this i'll try. Is it from "Restore/Save/Upload Setting" tab and "Factory default" item?
Yes.
You can also reboot once after you finish the configuration, not mandatory as factory reset after flash though!

no way. I tried to reboot, but the problem is still there. I'll try to reset to factory default. but I'm not sure this is the solution.

after reset seems work, but till i activate firewall with keyword filter. If this is disabled all works. if i activate this feature, the itunes connection is lost and is impossible to download any app.
I think there is a Bug in this feature.
now i disable it, but i d like to use it, cause of better control on my family traffic on wrong websites. ;-)
Do you think is possible to solve it?

Thats well and good but this fix or work around does not work as the Ram usage is still adding up. I can't wait till it hits 100% to see if you all are correct and will cause no issues. o_O Just looking through the GUI causes it to rise.
You are asking for more free documentation from Asus and/or RMerlin as to how memory is being used in a particular release of a particular Linux operating system distribution. You are asking not because you need to fix a problem with your router(s), but because you are curious. Such curiosity is a nice thing, in the abstract, and the most logical ways for you to begin satisfying that curiosity include educating yourself about Linux's (and operating systems in general) RAM and virtual memory management. There are thousands of resources on the web (especially lots of relevant things written about DD-Wrt routers), you could also take courses on operating systems (as I have) or befriend gurus (ditto).

It is my preference that RMerlin not spend any of his uncompensated time writing more documentation about topics that do not help people improve the performance of their RMerlin routers. It's not that asking him to write more free docs is a terrible thing, it's just that for the vast majority of RMerlin users it is not the most practical use of his time.

To save the rest of us forum users from having to wade through more and more requests from you as to how this Linux distribution works, concerning a behavior that has been going on through many RMerlin releases hence is not really a _56 issue, please consider starting a new thread in which you can post more requests for people to write tutorials on understanding how this particular Linux distribution virtual memory manager works.

after reset seems work, but till i activate firewall with keyword filter. If this is disabled all works. if i activate this feature, the itunes connection is lost and is impossible to download any app.
I think there is a Bug in this feature.
now i disable it, but i d like to use it, cause of better control on my family traffic on wrong websites. ;-)
Do you think is possible to solve it?

Also try using a new ssid too. Or, 'forget' the network on your phone and re-associate to the router again.

Also try using a new ssid too. Or, 'forget' the network on your phone and re-associate to the router again.
all already tried. But the problem is some words in keywords filtering. if i write andn save some words in this filter, itunes is locked. Is like that the filtering read some tags in the itunes website and lock the connections. strange, but it is so!
i think there is something to change in the code of filtering.

Good afternoon!
RT-AC56U, 56_2.
I have enabled guest wi-fi network. But at the top of the page WEB Router
I do not see it in the list. This is something new ?
As far as I remember, in the FW 55 guest network to be displayed.

View attachment 4860

I have never seen guest network SSIDs get listed there. There isn't enough room to display the potential 8 Guest networks for starter.

all already tried. But the problem is some words in keywords filtering. if i write andn save some words in this filter, itunes is locked. Is like that the filtering read some tags in the itunes website and lock the connections. strange, but it is so!
i think there is something to change in the code of filtering.

Using the keyword filter is never a good idea, as it's not intelligent enough to determine if it's really a keyword, or just a random string that happens to match. Beside, as most sites are moving to SSL, keyword filtering is no longer usable.

Nov 17 09:56:50 kernel: nf_ct_h323: incomplete TPKT (fragmented?)
Nov 17 11:16:06 kernel: nf_ct_h323: incomplete TPKT (fragmented?)

Not sure what this means since I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Hopefully it's not anything to worry about.

Using 378.56_2 on a N66U

Nov 17 09:56:50 kernel: nf_ct_h323: incomplete TPKT (fragmented?)
Nov 17 11:16:06 kernel: nf_ct_h323: incomplete TPKT (fragmented?)

Not sure what this means since I can't find anything about it on the internet.

Hopefully it's not anything to worry about.

Using 378.56_2 on a N66U

Probably means something happened to use the same port as normally used for H323, which confused the NAT helper for that protocol. You can safely ignore it.

Today my Philips Fidelio AirPlay speakers could not connect to my WiFi network.

Turns out that my RT-AC66U was no longer broacasting the 2.4 GHz network (only the 5 GHz). A router reboot was needed to get it working.

I had problems with iTunes updating my apps the way I fixed it was to run iTunes as an administrator worked fine after that

My windows 10 machines keep showing up as hostname WORKGROUP
even though they identify on the lan properly

as you can see the current device doing this its hostname is EP45-UD3LR

I havnt set a custom name in network map
the only thing thats set is a static lease in dhcp server

192.168.0.25 ep45-ud3lr

anyone have any idea how to sort this

also did this to ensure no old stuff is hanging around

nvram set nmp_client_list=
nvram set custom_clientlist=
nvram set client_info_tmp=
nvram commit

image.jpg

The ones in caps seem to be being pulled from SMB
where as the non caps ones seem to be from the static lease list on the router

Vostro is identifying correct atm and thats also win 10
Ep45-UD3LR is identifying as WORKGROUP

not really sure where or how the router is pulling WORKGROUP
when doing a lan scan all devices are identifying correct

image.jpg

Last edited:
My windows 10 machines keep showing up as hostname WORKGROUP
even though they identify on the lan properly

as you can see the current device doing this its hostname is EP45-UD3LR

I havnt set a custom name in network map
the only thing thats set is a static lease in dhcp server

192.168.0.25 ep45-ud3lr

anyone have any idea how to sort this

also did this to ensure no old stuff is hanging around

nvram set nmp_client_list=
nvram set custom_clientlist=
nvram set client_info_tmp=
nvram commit

image.jpg

The ones in caps seem to be being pulled from SMB
where as the non caps ones seem to be from the static lease list on the router

Vostro is identifying correct atm and thats also win 10
Ep45-UD3LR is identifying as WORKGROUP

not really sure where or how the router is pulling WORKGROUP
when doing a lan scan all devices are identifying correct

image.jpg
/Advanced_AiDisk_samba.asp

change the name of the workgroup
that would be for you
192.168.0.1/Advanced_AiDisk_samba.asp
if your using merlin's fw

Hi guys how are you?

In the easy way, not technically taling, is there a lot of diference from the 378.56_2 (that is the one i`m using) and the new 3.0.0.4.378.9313 from Asus?

I`m not an expert one so reading the changelogs for me is almost nothing :(

Any improvement in the Asus that worth a try? I`m happy till now with latest merlin one, just really to know what changed in a easy language

Thanks guys

Traffic Manager in the newest version is not working properly. Global shows proper values but per device not. Per device values are very small comparing to global.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!