What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just read the whole thread and it seems I'm the only one with this issue. I uploaded the new firmware twice, got the "Reboot router manually" message, but the UI still shows 384.18 and shows that there's an update available. The router is RT-AC86U, with FlexQoS running. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and a +1 thank you to Merlin for all the work!

Hi guys, just read the whole thread and it seems I'm the only one with this issue. I uploaded the new firmware twice, got the "Reboot router manually" message, but the UI still shows 384.18 and shows that there's an update available. The router is RT-AC86U, with FlexQoS running. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance and a +1 thank you to Merlin for all the work!
Double check to be sure you're uploading the correct firmware. It's easy to mistakenly click on the 68u firmware.

Reboot your router without a USB disk plugged in, to ensure you have enough free RAM to upload the new firmware image. If it still fails, try a different browser.

Best speedtest tool is speed.cloudflare.com

Nope.

The speed test tools very on your location. Which was my point what is best will depend on where you are.

The one you linked doesn't even allow you to select the destination location. At least with speedtest app I can select the servers I want to hit for the test.

Reboot your router without a USB disk plugged in, to ensure you have enough free RAM to upload the new firmware image. If it still fails, try a different browser.

Thank you, the different browser suggestion worked. Firefox was the original, Edge Chromium the successful one. And to Andy1932's comment, double checked the version earlier as well :)

No chance after the update to access via WebUI and SSH on my AX88U. Have disconnected the device from power several times, even the modem, unfortunately no success. Do I really need to reset the router? (However, all clients have connected normally via Wifi.)
I had exactly the same problem with mine, though SSH still worked but with no webui. I ended up doing a factory reset, and restore. Then the JFFS partition was out of space until after a further reboot. All OK now.

Today one of my RT-AX88U won't let me in to the UI or SSH console. I updated it Friday evening to 384.19 and all was working. Strange that the router seems to function, except I can't log in. A reboot didn't fix the problem and crazy, I can't even ping the router (100% loss), but internet and LAN works, all the scripts seem to work as well. I can't diagnose anything since there is no access to the router in any way. I'm completely stumped. Any ideas?
I had the same issue, and reset my router (5 seconds on the reset button), then was able to access the webui. Then I restored my settings from backup, and now everything works again.

RT-AC86U here. I had mine take a shower yesterday and went with fresh and clean. No issues since yesterday. I did the same for my Nodes. Always feel like I have a “check engine light on” when I see the new firmware sign light up.

RMerlin - thank you. Your awesome sauce.

With the known jffs resize issue and recommendation (backup, upgrade, set flag to init at next boot, reboot, restore, wait ~5-10 minutes, reboot again), is there best practice for AI Mesh nodes as well?

I ask because opened an ssh session to my AI Mesh node and got the putty warning the key had changed - which means the jffs partition on the Mesh node was also borked. I set the nvram variable, commit and rebooted but that felt incomplete or suspect to other issues.

Maybe the best / correct way is to remove it, factory default and re-add? Thoughts?

I had the same issue, and reset my router (5 seconds on the reset button), then was able to access the webui. Then I restored my settings from backup, and now everything works again.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I narrowed my issue down to Suricata. It wasn't an issue with the firmware update. Once I disabled Suricata I was able to access the router again.

Thanks Merlin for all the work. Dirty update from 384.18 to 384.19 on AX3000 went smooth and easy. Everything seems to work fine, and the french webui works again ! Great !

I have 384.19 running for 3 days (and a few hours) and it behaves super stable!

No strange entries in the logs, no strange behavior :)

I must say that I started with a 'clean' setup from 384.19a3. I updated 'dirty' from a3 to the final release and that went flawless.

Thank you Eric for all the efforts and time you put into developing new firmware for all those Asus routers (and the AX88U in particular :cool:) !

I have 384.19 running for 3 days (and a few hours) and it behaves super stable!

No strange entries in the logs, no strange behavior :)

I must say that I started with a 'clean' setup from 384.19a3. I updated 'dirty' from a3 to the final release and that went flawless.

Thank you Eric for all the efforts and time you put into developing new firmware for all those Asus routers (and the AX88U in particular :cool:) !

Same i've had minimal issues doing dirty upgrades from .15 everything usually just works on my end.

For the AC86U at my cabin, before upgrading to .18, I backup up my JFFS partition, and then restored it after the upgrade. At first everything worked fine, but then last night the router began spitting out non-stop messages about a JFFS garbage collection issue. I've just now reformatted the JFFS partition and then reinstalled the backup. All ok so far, but will see what happens over the next few days.

Finally took the plunge (time permitting). I think it's good to just backup, reformat, restore jffs for the AC86U (rather than "if" you encounter issues).

Cheers on this. Have two more to complete.

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V384.19 Beta1 to V384.19 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers.

As per Merlin below, these issues are outside of his control as they are closed source to ASUS, but just an FYI to others of issues I have seen on the AX88U (this does not affect the AC3100)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-asuswrt-merlin-384-19-beta-is-now-available.65581/post-608750

ASUS Issues appeared FIXED on RT-AX88U:

1. Under Traffic Analyzer | Traffic Monitor | Last 24 Hours the "Show By" by default is blank, and if you choose KB/MB/GB/TB, scaling does not change, but by default it shows KB/s, and the scaling is out to lunch

ASUS Issues still present on RT-AX88U:

1. Network Map Clients List still changes dynamically on its own, which in turn dynamically changes clients shown on Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor
2. Under Guest Network | 2.4GHZ | 2nd Network setup for IOT devices, which they used to show up under Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor, but now none of them are showing up, yet they show up under connected devices under System Log | Wireless Log as before.
3. Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor When leaving open this TAB for long periods of time, the graphs disappear, and are left with just the needles and the UL/DL Speeds (I use this to watch if my internet traffic spikes
4. Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor the "Show by" status when changed to "1 Gbps", it changes it sometimes back to "10 Gbps", not sure why?

For the AC86U at my cabin, before upgrading to .18, I backup up my JFFS partition, and then restored it after the upgrade. At first everything worked fine, but then last night the router began spitting out non-stop messages about a JFFS garbage collection issue. I've just now reformatted the JFFS partition and then reinstalled the backup. All ok so far, but will see what happens over the next few days.

yes, there was at least one other post earlier in this thread reporting that even when they did a backup/restore of the JFFS partition they had some corruption issues, and had to do a full re-format of the JFFS partition.

ASUS Issues still present on RT-AX88U:

1. Network Map Clients List still changes dynamically on its own, which in turn dynamically changes clients shown on Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor
2. Under Guest Network | 2.4GHZ | 2nd Network setup for IOT devices, which they used to show up under Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor, but now none of them are showing up, yet they show up under connected devices under System Log | Wireless Log as before.
3. Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor When leaving open this TAB for long periods of time, the graphs disappear, and are left with just the needles and the UL/DL Speeds (I use this to watch if my internet traffic spikes
4. Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor the "Show by" status when changed to "1 Gbps", it changes it sometimes back to "10 Gbps", not sure why?

1. This has always been like this are you sure its an outstanding issue?

2. don't have the guest network enable so cannot confirm or deny this.

3. I've never seen this I will try leaving the tab open for 30 mins to monitor it.
I left his open for 30+ mins while I was working nothing changed for me.
4. I just checked this when I set it to 1Gbps and apply, when I log out and go back in and check my setting remain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!