What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My issue (click the back post quotes for more info): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-384-8-is-now-available.50189/page-18#post-449148

I narrowed my issue down to a Echo Dot 2nd Gen (that was connecting to 5GHz) and a 7th Gen Fire HD 8 (on 68U Repeater @2.4Ghz) that had that Echo Dot assigned to the same account as the Fire HD (was not setup like that, but we have Prime with Family Accounts and Amazon has it where you can switch Accounts, something I don't like, they told me if I want to be totally separate, need to have separate Primary Prime Accounts and pay for each of course). Not sure how that Echo Dot got assigned to that Fire HD 8, I had it assigned to my phone.

I now have that Echo Dot assigned back to my phone and switched it to connect to 2.4GHz where all the beamforming options are disabled.

Last edited:
When it's greyed out, it's actually disabled (don't know why they changed it, it used to not be displayed in those cases).

And personally I'm getting tired of having this reported on a regular basis, so time for me to sweep that checkbox under the rug to prevent any further confusion.

Is it possible to use the cfg file from an earlier 3.8.4 build when migrating?
I tried an earlier build of 3.8.4 2 months ago and saved the cfg from that one, reverted back to .70 because my 68U froze got 100% cpu etc.
I want to try this version that's why I'm asking

Is it possible to use the cfg file from an earlier 3.8.4 build when migrating?
I tried an earlier build of 3.8.4 2 months ago and saved the cfg from that one, reverted back to .70 because my 68U froze got 100% cpu etc.
I want to try this version that's why I'm asking
If you make the move from 380.70 to the 384.8_2 you have to reset to factory defaults or you will have all kinds of trouble, and "NO" do not import your settings from a cfg file. Hand configure from screen shots or something just do not import any saved settings.

i had a 3.8.4 cfg file and did all the rest like it had to, so far so good :)

I’m getting a scrolling error
kernel: ERR[update_qos_data_by_mac:3568] Failed to find udb entry by skb src-MAC!

I believe it may have something to do with FreshJR’s QOS script but i wanted to see if anyone else has it before I tackle it.
I have reloaded the script a few times but it’s still there and I’ve only had it since updating to 384.8_2, it never appeared during alpha or beta stages :confused:

Had issues with 5ghz dropping on 384.7 and 384.8 every so often.

I'm trying to get to the cause of it, next thing Im trying is switching bandwidth on 5ghz

Can someone tell me if channel 136 with 40mhz bandwidth is a ok?

Tried channel 40 with 40mhz and some devices did not like that.

I'm trying to get to the cause of it, next thing Im trying is switching bandwidth on 5ghz

Try 80mhz and channel 36 or 100

Try turning off Universal Beamforming under professional settings. Leave ac beamforming on. Set 5ghz channel to Auto and channel bandwidth to 20/40/80. I have Auto set on 5ghz only. All my devices have been connected for over 6 days, since I upgraded to 384.8_2 and factory reset. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Hello SNB, first time poster and I opened this account for a particular issue I am dealing with in upgrading my firmware on AC68U. I made sure I searched before I posted regarding my issue but nothing seems to allow me to apply any firmware after 384.5. Here is what I have tried:
Factory Resets (all steps including the recovery mode through WPS button 10 sec)
Reapplying 384.5, tried 384.6, 384.7, after failing at getting 384.8_2.

Every single time it completes the process *flashes COMPLETE* it goes back to the home screen and that's it. No reboot prompt, nothing, just dropped into home screen with no update on the firmware version. Rebooted and am returned to Quick Wizard prompt to setup WiFi. I am near giving up on this but I do want to make sure our router is updates and patched.

Thanks all for any thoughts or assistance on this matter.

Hello SNB, first time poster and I opened this account for a particular issue I am dealing with in upgrading my firmware on AC68U. I made sure I searched before I posted regarding my issue but nothing seems to allow me to apply any firmware after 384.5. Here is what I have tried:
Factory Resets (all steps including the recovery mode through WPS button 10 sec)

Every single time it completes the process *flashes COMPLETE* it goes back to the home screen and that's it. No reboot prompt, nothing, just dropped into home screen with no update on the firmware version. Rebooted and am returned to Quick Wizard prompt to setup WiFi. I am near giving up on this but I do want to make sure our router is updates and patched.

What router do you try to update ?

i had a 3.8.4 cfg file and did all the rest like it had to, so far so good :)

Well, in one word drama.

Not one day online, first my ram became fuller and fuller then both cores were hitting 100% the ui became unresponsive and then all connections died on the router.

Back to .70 all good

Try 80mhz and channel 36 or 100
Try turning off Universal Beamforming under professional settings. Leave ac beamforming on. Set 5ghz channel to Auto and channel bandwidth to 20/40/80. I have Auto set on 5ghz only. All my devices have been connected for over 6 days, since I upgraded to 384.8_2 and factory reset. Worth a try.

I have most of the beamforming/ airtime fairness stuff off, thanks for the tips. Is what I'm currently trying not a good idea?

Channel 136 and 40mhz

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you have an AC68U and NOT a TM-AC1900? They are basically the same hardware, but recently a check was added to the ASUS firmware to NOT allow the TM-AC1900 to flash official ASUS firmware (or Merlin). Your symptom sounds like you have a AC1900.
See this: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

I have most of the beamforming/ airtime fairness stuff off, thanks for the tips. Is what I'm currently trying not a good idea?

Channel 136 and 40mhz
On 5ghz you need to be on 80mhz for a decent signal. Beamforming is a good idea to play with though.

Channel 136 and 40mhz
I have my 5ghz set to 80mhz and channel auto, it works for me

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!