What's new

[Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9] RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

UTAVATU

New Around Here
Dear Friends

I am happy owner of ASUS RT-AC86U and I have installed Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 384.9. I would like to ask you some questions:

1. I use DDNS asuscomm.com to "Enable Web Access from WAN" with "Let's Encrypt Authority X3". I would like to ask about "Factory default" and my unique Host Name for DDNS. Will I be able to use the same Host Name after "Factory default"? What will happen with my Server Certificate from "Let's Encrypt Authority X3"?

2. I have enabled FTP to share my USB HDD over my local network. I would like to add this FTP share to my NVIDIA Shield, but there I need to enter as "ftp://username:password@hostname:21/share/".

- Does username and password are my ASUS RT-AC86U access?
- Does hostname should be local IP of the router or may I enter DDNS with my unique hostname in asuscomm.com?
- What should I enter for share? My USB HDD is sda2 and there is only one folder called RT-AC86U.

3. I would like to use OpenVPN only for one device in my network. Where is the option to choose, which device will connect via OpenVPN Client?

Thank you in advance for your time, help and support.

Sincerely

Dear martinr

Welcome to the forum.

Most importantly, you must NOT allow Web access from the WAN, not HTTP nor HTTPS. Your router will be hacked. In fact, you now need to assume you have already been hacked and carry out that factory reset to cleanse your router.

People have been hacked. Read what Merlin says about web access:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...and-password-hacked.36602/page-13#post-470212

May you be so kind and add link to the original post of Developer about web access?

Do you know answers for my questions from the first post?

Thank you for your fast reply and time.

Sincerely

The link was inside my link; here it is:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/e...wan-but-keep-http-from-lan.42521/#post-361843

Here’s what he said:

Personally however, I do not recommend opening even HTTPS to the WAN. Asuswrt's web server is poorly secured, and has had numerous security issues over the years. Best to limit it to LAN only, and use a VPN to remotely access it.

That was back in 2017. It’s likely he would be even more forceful in his comments today.

And yes, your Asuscomm.com address will still be available to you after the reset to factory default settings. Of course, you will need to enter it manually. That DDNS address is tied to that specific router, too.

I can’t offer advice on your other questions but I’m sure others more qualified will.

One golden nugget: read L&LD’s guide to the factory reset at:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If you follow it you will have a reliable stable router. And read the whole topic, too, there is more good information in it.

Second what Martin said about no WAN access.

You can login to SMB or FTP with the routers default user account, which is the username and password used to login to the routers web UI. Or you can create new users with different username and password. Explore and experiment the web UI and you’ll see.

If NVIDIA shield remains inside LAN then use the IP address of the router which is by default 192.168.1.1. You only need to use the asuscomm hostname if you are outside of the LAN

Mine didn’t.

Interesting! I didn’t think they would come with different default IPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Friends

I have one from Poland and here it's 192.168.1.1.

Any experiences with problems described in questions: 2 and 3 from the first post?

After flashing 384.9 and factory default, I have SMB for USB 3.0 and Port Forwarding enabled, RAM usage 79%, is it normal? ...with FTP server c.a. 90%.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sincerely

I saw what Merlin reports. I added a new 86U (as an AP) to my existing 88U but when I installed Merlin FW, after I factory reset the 86 (and made it the router) it booted up the first time as x.x.50.1. Took me a few minutes to understand why I couldn't get in via webgui over LAN...

I think it depends on the region, but mine comes with 192.168.50.1 by default, this can be changed in the DHCP server tab

Dear Friends

I have one from Poland and here it's 192.168.1.1.

Any experiences with problems described in questions: 2 and 3 from the first post?

After flashing 384.9 and factory default, I have SMB for USB 3.0 and Port Forwarding enabled, RAM usage 79%, is it normal? ...with FTP server c.a. 90%.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sincerely

Be mindful of the risks using port forwarding to expose services on your LAN if they are not defended against hacking attempts.

Dear Friends

I would like to use Zabbix with RT-AC86U via SNMP is it possible?
Can I also install package zabbix-agent on RT-AC86U?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Sincerely

Dear L&LD

There is no Linux on RT-AC86U?

Linux version 4.1.27 (merlin@ubuntu-dev) (gcc version 5.3.0 (Buildroot 2016.02) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 24 18:48:25 EDT 2019

Sincerely

Last edited:
Dear L&LD

There is no Linux on RT-AC86U?

Linux version 4.1.27 (merlin@ubuntu-dev) (gcc version 5.3.0 (Buildroot 2016.02) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 24 18:48:25 EDT 2019

Sincerely

You may be right, but it isn't only a matter of having some version of Linux, there may be other libraries which are needed and the resources on any consumer router are very, very limited (RAM, storage space, NVRAM (if needed) and CPU 'power').

If it was possible, you would think that the 'requirements' link I posted would have listed at least some routers that have the capability, no?