What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treadler I am also in Oz and have NBN 1000/50 with ABB and RT-AX88U on 6APP POI. As you mentioned you do need to use QoS for Upload otherwise it will be real slow. I am on Merlin 386.1 B2 and these are my settings below. You also need to set each devices priority under Bandwidth Monitor as well. Recently speeds have been quite variable but normally get 3ms 850-920 Mbps down and 46-47 Mbps up. Be careful on QoS as the fields where you fill in up/down are actually reversed to what you think and have seen some people putting the wrong numbers in. I used FlexQos on the 384.19 branch and it seemed more configurable but are just staying away from too many addons at present. On 1000/50 I was originally with Superloop then Node1 (WA only) and now ABB. Seems like most seem to struggle to deliver these full speeds all the time but ABB seems the best to date. There is some forums on Whirlpool also discussing these aspects as well.
QoS Type = Adaptive
Bandwidth Setting = Manual
UPLOAD = 47
DOWNLOAD = 990
Media Streaming

Thanks, much appreciated.:)

Unless your client is very old, you'd be better using AES-128-GCM or AES-256-GCM. Make sure you have the same configuration at both ends.

Merlin do you still recommend using these specific ciphers under OpenVPN 2.5?

n6hSDt5.jpg

BzdwkbP.jpg

Reason I ask is because I am getting very good speed results now using only CHACHA20-POLY1305 cipher exclusively for both data & control channels under your beta builds tap udp site to site as well as client to server on windows. On another note, would you ever consider adding a control channel data cipher gui box similar to the data channel? Not that big of a deal but tls-ciphersuites TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 is the only OpenVPN client custom option I am currently setting into the gui?

Merlin do you still recommend using these specific ciphers under OpenVPN 2.5?

Reason I ask is because I am getting very good speed results now using only CHACHA20-POLY1305 cipher exclusively for both data & control channels under your beta builds tap udp site to site as well as client to server on windows. On another note, would you ever consider adding a control channel data cipher gui box similar to the data channel? Not that big of a deal but tls-ciphersuites TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256 is the only OpenVPN client custom option I am currently setting into the gui?
From what I have read, ChaCha20 is designed ground up for software efficiency on general purpose CPUs and is faster than AES where the CPU does not have inbult CPU instructions for AES calculations. So speeds will depend on your router hardware and CPU it uses.

Personally, I am using 386.1 Beta 2 with AES-128-GCM with the router VPN client and I have observed I hit my Internet plan upper limits (50/25 MBit) and no noticeable router CPU load, I have looked no deeper for better options.

Last edited:
Been running the beta version for a few days now but I can’t seem to get traffic monitor to work. I can see the internet usage change on the main screen but not the client that is using the traffic. Also nothing is assigned to the client in the traffic monitor history. Running an ac-2900. Anyone that has had this issue and found a solution?

My question is this: If I save my settings to my local computer, do the reset and upgrade, will I be able to restore from my settings backup? If so, will that restore *everything* to include my VPN settings, encryption keys, etc?

When you do a factory reset, you configure fresh, manually.
No restores of anything.

@RMerlin How to use Adguard DNS-over-QUIC ? is it something i have to configure on the router or somewhere else ?

"Default" servers:
quic://dns.adguard.com

"Family protection" servers:
quic://dns-family.adguard.com

Last edited:
Apologies that we are slightly off topic but for those trying Cake with high download bandwidths on asymmetrical connections, have you tried setting the download bandwidth to zero (unlimited) so the shaper only applies to upload? I'm not sure how much impact this will have as there's still no hardware acceleration in use but it may give some increase to your download performance when you only really need to control your upload?

@RMerlin How to use Adguard DNS-over-QUIC ? is it something i have to configure on the router or somewhere else ?

"Default" servers:
quic://dns.adguard.com

"Family protection" servers:
quic://dns-family.adguard.com
From what I read that is only available on Android and iOS for now.

Upgrade from 384.19 on my AX88U to Beta 2, running since 19 hours without any issues. Client list seems to be a bit corrupted - pressing refresh showing the corrent ammount of clinets incl. info, a few secs later the list is populated with devices that were connected within the last 19 hours but not any longer. Anywa, looking great so far and looking forward to another great release- Thanks a ton MERLIN!!

I had to take Merlin off completely on my RTAC68U and go to stock firmware.

Numerous issues with Xbox connectivity especially in Forza Horizon 4, wouldn't connect to any servers and complaining about IPSEC.

Since switching to default stock latest firmware working with no issue.

I had to take Merlin off completely on my RTAC68U and go to stock firmware.

Numerous issues with Xbox connectivity especially in Forza Horizon 4, wouldn't connect to any servers and complaining about IPSEC.

Since switching to default stock latest firmware working with no issue.
Where you running skynet?

Hello,

Is it possible that the Merlin firmware for the RT-AX58U can also be installed on the RT-AX82U?
The two routers have the same hardware.
I apologize if I did not find the right place for this question.

Thanks,

Been running the beta version for a few days now but I can’t seem to get traffic monitor to work. I can see the internet usage change on the main screen but not the client that is using the traffic. Also nothing is assigned to the client in the traffic monitor history. Running an ac-2900. Anyone that has had this issue and found a solution?

I've had this problem since switching over to the 386 alphas and betas on the AC2900/AC86U. I didn't have this problem when the AC3100 was the main router.

Thank you for the reply. I have found them both, and am learning the ropes of sh'ing with the new firmware-- much has changed in the couple of years I have been away! My usage needs are relatively simple-- not much gaming, but I work from home, so really need my VOIP and Zoom to be stable, especially now. For that reason, I had installed FreshJR, which at the time made a big difference-- even though I theoretically have 900/35 connection the speeds are unreliable, and I was told that FreshJR with default settings would help manage traffic better, which it really seemed to do, especially by re-allocating "other" traffic. I read that Cake caps the downloads at 300, so it sounds like that won't work for me. Does FlexQos have a similar limitation? And, is it still recommended the way FreshJR was-- meaning, if stable connections matter, are things improved by installing it, even without customizations?

I'm a little troubled by the fact that I can't see the speedtest at all on the speedtest tab-- after a few failed attempts to connect to the server, it just literally disappeared. I did the nuclear reset when I upgraded to the beta, and I'm a little reluctant to go through that process again, since it tests the goodwill of five adults using the system. Everything else is working well on my newly configured system-- fair to say I could just ignore the problem? I am so grateful to everyone in this community, which just keeps improving things all the time!

wow, it's great how we've skewed away from discussing any issues with v386 to optimizing connection. I would guess that means it'll go final this week...Happy Holidays from @RMerlin !

@shelleyevans the speedtest is irrelevant, and if you're ssh'ing into the command line to add QoS, you should really just add @Jack Yaz 's spdMerlin which does work, and I think is what asus modeled theirs after. with the speeds you're paying for from your ISP, I'd be most concerned with optimizing your UPLOAD connection - that's a MUCH smaller pipe to try to slide data out of your network through. As someone else mentioned, you can set cake to unlimited on the DL side (which makes sense: your ISP will limit the speed, or is limited by the speed of the infrastructure), so the "limit" people talk about is somewhat moot above it, which is the case with your service. Getting whichever QoS scheme/flavour you choose to optimise bufferbloat is what you should focus on, so test, then apply, then test, then tweak, and repeat is the "do loop"...but yes, the basic/default settings are a good place to start, and something IS better than nothing.

We should end this diversion from the topic of the thread. Hopefully I'll see you over on the CakeQoS thread...if not, q'pla!

Please confirm you have tested this with FlexQoS disabled or uninstalled, to ensure it is not interfering.

Confirmed - even with FlexQoS completely uninstalled the Classification tab still has vpn traffic inverted (download appears under upload and upload appears under download).

*Edit - Just flashed beta2 and the issue appears to be resolved.

Last edited:
I did what you suggest. It is not only the temperature of the 2.4GHz chip, but the speed is heavily reduced when it gets hot (< 1 Mb/s).
The channels are fixed ones: 6 for 2.4G and 36 for 5G.
The first update was without reset from 384.19, but after the problems, I did a factory reset after flashing beta2. The problem occurred while reconfiguring the router.
I'll wait for the final release and try again.

You may have missed this link which was included to get the router stable before you start configuring it. :)

Can we expect long term support for the RT-AX86U? I just read Merlin is definitely reluctant about this, according to a post made on some other forum.. whirlpool forum.. I see it's been added to the support in the change-log but I'm thinking long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!