What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'experiment' he's trying out with Asus is for the lone GT model in the link below (GT-AC2900).

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

But he has been very forthcoming with that vital information about the long-term possibilities of its inclusion in the RMerlin household.

I don't think RMerlin makes any wishy-washy decisions unless he believes the new models added (like the RT-AX86U) are here for the long-term.

And, I wouldn't have bought two RT-AX86U's either if I believed otherwise. :)

Can we expect long term support for the RT-AX86U? I just read Merlin is definitely reluctant about this, according to a post made on some other forum.. whirlpool forum.. I see it's been added to the support in the change-log but I'm thinking long term.

That is primarily up to Asus. I can only support a model so long Asus keeps providing updated closed source components for it.

@RMerlin small graphical bug in the 386 branch (currently using an RT-AX88U). When expanding AiProtection IPS events, hitting the pull down does not collapse back up like it should, but instead just continues to duplicate the list for as many times as you click it (I clicked 3 x times).

1608430633483.png

I did a dirty upgrade early this morning from 386.1 Beta 1 to Beta 2 on the AC86U and from the RC2-9 on the AC3100 to 386.1 Beta 2. Everything has been working smoothly so far.

Last edited:
I'm always humbled by a response to me from Merlin. This is one of the reasons why I choose buy these Asus routers.

Just picked up the RT-AX86U, and will be doing the change-over in the next few weeks!

I just upgraded from my AC86U to an AX86U a few days ago. Installed 386.1 Beta 2 on the AX86U, reset to defaults, and manually configured all my settings. Took about an hour and its been smooth sailing ever since.

I just upgraded from my AC86U to an AX86U a few days ago. Installed 386.1 Beta 2 on the AX86U, reset to defaults, and manually configured all my settings. Took about an hour and its been smooth sailing ever since.

Congrats!

I'm looking to run amtm, cake-qos, and skynet.. so far I've heard amtm and cake work on the AX86U..

You may have missed this link which was included to get the router stable before you start configuring it. :)

OK I have some time and will follow all the steps from your link.
One question: I formatted the USB key as EXT4. Should I reformat in NTFS ?

OK I have some time and will follow all the steps from your link.
One question: I formatted the USB key as EXT4. Should I reformat in NTFS ?
My understanding is that you format the USB key in your PC with NTFS, and then the stick is reformatted in the router to EXT4 with Journaling.

Speedtest powered by Ookla (note: can be limited by your router's CPU speed)
Sorry for trouble ALL.
I have just done a upgrade from 384.18 on my RT-AX56U with factory reset and JFFS format, but I seems cannot find out the Speedtest on the WebUI, is there any hidden options to show it?

*BTW, the error - "kernel: potentially unexpected fatal signal 11." still appear on my log from 384.18, suspect there is hardware related issue...

One more thing is I found there are some "icon" failed to load on the "Wi-Fi Rader" Tab at "Wireless" page.
1608482947260.png

Thanks ALL for reading my post.

Good Day, I`m currently on the 386.1 beta 2 firmware, and from the star I used the 386.1 firmware when logging into the device, the home page do not load properly and become non responsive. have to close the page and login again, sometimes, only after the 3rd or 4th attempt it logs in and are usable. I did restore to factory settings, as I used the Alpha firmware before, but doing the same thing. I did however restore my settings from a save file, not sure if that could be related or the reason?

384.19 dirty update to 386.1 B1 here on AX88U (AiMesh router), AC5300 and AC88U (both AiMesh Nodes on ethernet backhaul).

AC5300 can no longer be detected as a node, otherwise all else appear to work fine.

Edit: Downgrading AC5300 to 384.19 solves the problem.

Update to the latest Asus official beta to get the new aimesh features for the 5300 node and compatibility with your main router on the new merlin beta.

I am about to test beta 2 and will post back if its working now on the node.

-----------------
UPDATE
-----------------

Beta firmware is finally working as a mesh node on 5300 and 68 with 88 as main router on beta 2.

Last edited:
I did restore to factory settings, as I used the Alpha firmware before, but doing the same thing. I did however restore my settings from a save file,

Which means you completely reverted the factory default reset, and went back to the same invalid settings you had before. When doing a factory default reset, you must NOT restore your previous settings.

Which means you completely reverted the factory default reset, and went back to the same invalid settings you had before. When doing a factory default reset, you must NOT restore your previous settings.
Thank you for assistance.

Will do.

My understanding is that you format the USB key in your PC with NTFS, and then the stick is reformatted in the router to EXT4 with Journaling.
diversion does it, as I recall (I might be wrong, or I might be close), because entware needs ext4. and that's what allows a swap file/folder for routers with low RAM.
It gets inserted into the router and you leave it there...the system drive the router might one day come with ;-)

The NTFS format is probably just a safety step since most (all?) USB sticks come formatted as exFAT which isn't supported by the router. This way at least the router can fully recognize it when it's inserted.

Swapped out my AC86U for a new AX86U as my main router. Upgraded the new AX to 386.1 Beta 2 and configured from scratch. Working great so far. As soon as 386.1 R0 is available, I'll upgrade both routers and set up the AC86U as a mesh device. Hopefully this will improve device speeds in the farthest away areas of the house. The AX86U is an impressive router, and already I notice snappier performance on my devices (Both hard-wired and wireless).
I'm running the AX86U as main and AC86U as node in AiMesh wired backhaul. Both brand new, both flashed with Beta2. Rock solid. I'm not running any scripts or VPN yet. It's been 4 days so far. 50 +/- devices connected and I'm really giving these a workout. I only have Spectrum ISP but I get my full DL/UL speeds whether wired or wireless and almost anywhere on my property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!