What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Just purchased an AX86u a week ago and have been running stock firmware.

I just flashed this beta, and now have lost all access to the internet. That is, even my hardwired devices while they say connected, I can't access websites

I didn't reset to defaults before flashing as I didn't want to lose my reserved IP addresses and other rules.

Have tried rebooting the modem and router to no avail.

Strangely when I use the Network Analysis tool and ping Google, I get all packets recieved with no packet loss.

Any ideas?

I wanted to use Aimesh with wired uplink as my place is longish and there's very poor reception at the other end. I have a wire linked between the 2 ends of my place. Hoped to use it with Aimesh. But if Ethernet backhaul doesn't work i probably need another solution.
It works perfectly, just after you add the node, not before

It works perfectly, just after you add the node, not before
Yeah, I only figured this out after trying AiMesh a while ago. Had all my APs wired but was having issues setting up the mesh. Seems the initial setup is done wirelessly and you need to have the units close by at the start. Then setup the wired backhaul after.

Is there a way to check the rev from the firmware? Router is cabled and not easy to physically access without disconnecting.

So what you’re saying is rev 1.1 will run cooler than 1.0? Is that correct?

You can use this command from ssh to see the hardware version

nvram show | grep HwVer

Here is the previous thread covering this whole A1 vs A1.1

I checked the Tools/SysInfo tab for HW version on my AX88U and it wasn't there. I thought prior firmware would list it in the Model field along with the router model, maybe I'm mistaken.

@Merlin would be nice if this would be listed in the future. No urgency as the command Makaveli listed above works fine. eg: Model: RT-AX88U, 1.1

I checked the Tools/SysInfo tab for HW version on my AX88U and it wasn't there. I thought prior firmware would list it in the Model field along with the router model, maybe I'm mistaken.

@Merlin would be nice if this would be listed in the future. No urgency as the command Makaveli listed above works fine. eg: Model: RT-AX88U, 1.1
It’s printed on a label on the underside of the router. At least it is on my two ax88u, both say HW Ver: A1.1

Maybe you should see if you can place it Below the Dns-Over-TLS server list to cut down on confusion.

I had it in the Special ISP settings, however Asus decided to put it there when they implemented it, so I moved it to match with them to avoid further user confusion.

I don't because it's not reliable. Not all models will have that nvram value. For instance, to determine if you have an RT-AC68U V1, V2 or V3, you need to look at various values, such as the power amplifiers used by the router.

Hi all,
I'm now again on Merlin 386.1 beta 3 because I like the features of Merlin's firmware and also because I had some drops of wifi connection on latest stock firmware.

The problem of the Bandwidth Monitor/Traffic Analyzer is still there for RT-AC86U also on new Asus beta 9.0.0.4.386.41535.

It seems that Asus fixed the problem only for the RT-AX86U and not for the RT-AC86U.

I hope that they will fix it soon, bandwidth monitor and traffic analyzer/statistics are completely unusable on new releases, while they're working without problems on latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40451.

About the CPU temperature on 386.1 beta 3, afted reactivating the CPU wait states (pwr config --wait on) I have 2.4 GHz: 43°C - 5 GHz: 52°C - CPU: 72°C. Only 5°C higher if compared with stock firmware and very far from the 80/85°C that my Rt-AC86U reached with the CPU wait states set to off.

Bye.

Doesn't seem to be fixed in BETA3 for my reset and config entered by hand again AX86U routers (x2). Traffic analysis not working as expected, and when you move the QOS categories around under custom, another QOS category seems to be changed as the "default". I can clearly see streaming traffic not being registered - even the QOS Dials do not show the traffic flow on download and upload. Whole thing looks a mess right now - was contemplating going to stock for a bit as no previous Merlin stable for AX86U. Also gets loads of issues with custom icons showing or drop down menus suddenly dropping down and showing some of the textual options like on the DHCP reservation pages, wake on LAN page and custom schedules for wireless pages; the icons sometimes appear or not, appear too big and other times can be fine. Doesn't matter the browser whether Android phone, tablet or a computer. The JFFS was cleared at time of router reset so not corrupt info there, browsers also cleared.

Teething troubles - just hope Merlin can resolve with Asus, been using his firmware on the RT-AC86U previously for 2-3 years and all was good by the production release.

Meant BETA3 from Merlin. Beta4 was typo, brain thinking ahead to next version :)
I've been around here and using Merlin's firmware for a while, and I can't recall very many (if ANY) 4th beta versions; release versions generally (and have historically) followed the 3rd betas.
This may not be the case for v386.1, as @RMerlin has stated he's waiting for a new GPL from asus.
Standby to standby, I guess

Last edited:
When doing a full factory reset Beta 3 allows me to use 45Wheelgun as a username. When changing settings in /Administration/System it will not allow me to save without changing my username to something that doesn't start with a number. The error message tells me I'm not allowed to user "-" to begin a username. Obviously I don't have a "-" in my username at all, so I'm assuming it is a bug.

If I don't make changes on that page 45Wheelgun is and continues to be a valid username.

Doesn't seem to be fixed in BETA3 for my reset and config entered by hand again AX86U routers (x2). Traffic analysis not working as expected, and when you move the QOS categories around under custom, another QOS category seems to be changed as the "default". I can clearly see streaming traffic not being registered - even the QOS Dials do not show the traffic flow on download and upload. Whole thing looks a mess right now - was contemplating going to stock for a bit as no previous Merlin stable for AX86U. Also gets loads of issues with custom icons showing or drop down menus suddenly dropping down and showing some of the textual options like on the DHCP reservation pages, wake on LAN page and custom schedules for wireless pages; the icons sometimes appear or not, appear too big and other times can be fine. Doesn't matter the browser whether Android phone, tablet or a computer. The JFFS was cleared at time of router reset so not corrupt info there, browsers also cleared.

Teething troubles - just hope Merlin can resolve with Asus, been using his firmware on the RT-AC86U previously for 2-3 years and all was good by the production release.

It seems to be fixed for RT-AX86U in the next beta GPL from Asus that Merlin will merge in the future releases.

It's surely not fixed for RT-AC86U because I've already tested the next official beta GPL from Asus and the problem is still there.

It's really a pity that Asus hasn't solved this problem on RT-AC86U after three beta releases, I hope that it will be fixed in the next one.

Bye.

in beta 3 on rt-ac68u when enable "Intercept NTP client requests" time not sync on local network pc etc (on beta 1 and 2 and previous that options working fine....

Cannot reproduce, double check your NTP configuration on the router to ensure you redirect to a working server.

I uploaded a very rough test build of the RT-AX86U on which I only copied the newer Trend Micro engine, there has been no other change.

I only did a quick speedtest to ensure the new engine was working, I didn't do any further test. I am still waiting to get newer GPL drops to merge the whole thing.

Thanks for the Beta! Times scheduling doesn't block anything for me at the moment, even after a factory reset. Anyone else got this to work on beta 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!