What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've flashed both, the 88u and 3100. After flashing, on both, I logged in via SSH and ran mtd-erase2 nvram. I then powered down both units, unplugged, powered on to cycle juice out of the caps, etc, plugged back, and booted.

I was not able to access the GUI (like others), so I did a hard reset on the 88u. When it came back up, I was able to log in to the GUI. Once in, I reset once more (clicking on the check to initialize all the partitions), and it came up fine. I configured the 88u as my router and setup my normal stuff.

I tried detecting the 3100 for a mesh node, but not able too. I plugged the 3100 directly into my laptop. It got an IP and I logged into the router which came up with the "Welcome to RT-AC-3100" splash screen. I configured it as a router, and was able to access the GUI on it. Once more, I reset the 3100 from the GUI, making sure to check the "initialize partitions" box as well. It reboots and reset. Still can't detect it as a node. I'm going to log into the 3100 as well to have a look around and see if I can find any issues.

This isn't my first go around with these, so I'm well aware of the what's normally needed during a FW upgrade. There's another user on here having the same issue with his 3100 as well.
Yes I am having the same issues as Diddy on the 3100 adding it as a node.
@brianward317 Can you log into the GUI on your 3100 and see if you're having issues with JFFS as well?
When I logged in earlier, didn't have a problem with the jffs....Now trying to add my 68U back as a node and it's having problems too. I factory reset the AX88 and can't seem to get anything node wise to connect.

Attachments

• aimesh.PNG
    aimesh.PNG
    430.4 KB · Views: 148
No 3rd party scripts. When I revert to 384.17, I can be on the GUI for a long time and have never encountered a spontaneous restart. It only happens on the Alpha and Beta builds.
Something is just not right with the AX58u and these alpha and beta 386 builds. My crash logs look very similar to yours only I can't flash between the alphas and betas without resetting my router. I've tried removing the USB drive and this didn't help. I've got another AX58U user direct messaging me with the same problem on these forums. Perhaps we all have hardware related issues, not sure.

Provided you aren't running any third party script, I would suspect a hardware issue. I actually spent my whole evening last night on the RT-AX58U while debugging a jffs-related issue, and never encountered any crash.

I don't remember if the latest nvram-related changes were in alpha3 or alpha 4, so I recommend you do a reset.
If you are talking about this commit, then it's alpha 4. Since it's after alpha 3 version bump.

Updated from Alpha4 to Beta via Factory Default Reset and all is working as I suspected it would, perfectly!

Main reason for requiring a factory default reset after running the alpha builds is there has been a few changes to nvram over the course of these test builds. The biggest one is related to the WAN MTU settings, quite a few things will not work properly if you have the nvram settings established by the alpha builds. I don't want the beta test to be mislead by these errors, hence I'm asking a factory default reset if you ever ran the alpha builds.
can i wait for the release vesion czause i don't have the patience to do a factory reset . will i be able to go from alpha 4 to releae without a reset ?
thanks

Yup. My 88U is my is my router and my 3100 is the node. I've updated and reset the 3100 numerous times and I still can't get it to connect.
I had a devil of a time to connect a RT-AX56U as a node to my RT-AX88U. Did everything suggested here. Wasn't until after I did a reset (of the many...) on RT-AX56U, then logged onto the AX56U. Moving through panels, got to which mode did you want the unit to run in. "AiMesh" was there as an option of four. Selected AiMesh, the AX56U connected to my AiMesh network on the reboot.
| After the AX56U reboot from the AiMesh mode selection, then added the unit without error, to my AiMesh network via the RT-AX88U panel selections.

Last edited:
Have had my RT-AX58U & RT-AC68U AI Mesh on Beta 1 working great.
Also there are no crashes in router as JWoo is reporting.
Very smooth and snappy thank you so much !

Yes I am having the same issues as Diddy on the 3100 adding it as a node.

When I logged in earlier, didn't have a problem with the jffs....Now trying to add my 68U back as a node and it's having problems too. I factory reset the AX88 and can't seem to get anything node wise to connect.
I fixed this by clearing the browser cache. I believe it's shift + F5 in most browsers (either ctrl or shift).

I had a devil of a time to connect a RT-AX56U as a node to my RT-AX88U. Did everything suggested here. Wasn't until after I did a reset (of the many...) on RT-AX56U, then logged onto the AX56U. Moving through panels, got to which mode did you want the unit to run in. "AiMesh" was there as an option of four. Selected AiMesh, the AX56U connected to my AiMesh network on the reboot.
I'll give this a try bc I can't get any of my nodes to add.

I had to go back to the rc2-9 because after I updated to the beta, my nodes dropped off and I couldn't add them back. Once I took everything to rc2-9 I was able to add them back in as nodes.

So once I updated everything to RC2-9. Then I left just my nodes on RC2-9 and move just my main router back to Merlin. Going to test this out and see if it responds better.

Both 88 and 68 are on Beta 1 and seems to be better after a 2nd factory reset. 3100 is going to remain on the beta RC 2-9 for now. I think there is an issue with it getting it added in if Merlin firmware is installed.

Upgraded from alpha 4 to beta 1 on an AX88U. I have not yet done a factory reset, but everything seems to be running fine. I am not running mesh. Merlin: What symptoms would I see of the issues that a factory reset would resolve? I'll likely do it in the AM when I'm more awake :)

Something is just not right with the AX58u and these alpha and beta 386 builds. My crash logs look very similar to yours only I can't flash between the alphas and betas without resetting my router. I've tried removing the USB drive and this didn't help. I've got another AX58U user direct messaging me with the same problem on these forums. Perhaps we all have hardware related issues, not sure.
Did you format your JFFS partition before resting the router?

Update one of my AX88U and everything is working as expected. I followed these six steps:
1. Unplugged USB drive.
2. Updated to Beta1
3. Formatted the JFFS partition,
4. Reset router,
5. Configured all settings from scratch.
6. Started anew with a clean USB attached SSD drive and setup all scripts from scratch.

I haven't added my new AX58U as AI-Mesh node yet. Will fool around with this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Things are much more stable now so far. I'll wait until 3100 firmware is more stable to move it back to Merlin. So far though AX88 and 68 are working well through it. Had some issues at first, but believe I have them resolved.

AC88U working great after dirty flashing from 384.18. GUI took some time to load but works fine now. OpenVPN client is also working fine. Thanks!

Anyone know how I can get the /jffs partition mounted? No matter what I do, the dang thing won't mount. I went back to stock FW and then flashed back to merlin 384.19, and it still doesn't have the partition mounted. No idea why.

Provided you aren't running any third party script, I would suspect a hardware issue. I actually spent my whole evening last night on the RT-AX58U while debugging a jffs-related issue, and never encountered any crash.

It could be a hardware issue but my RT-AX58U started to crash/reboot when quickly changing sections in the webUI also(started with Alpha 4 for me being I didn't really play with Alpha 3 too much). If I go to a section and stay there to change settings, etc, it doesn't crash/reboot but if I go section by section quickly to verify settings, it will crash eventually,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!