What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still having the same issues with my VPN clients on Beta 3 as I was having with Alpha3 and Beta1. When I enable the VPN client to purevpn with 1 client in the policy list, it works fine. As soon as I add another ip to the policy list, my whole WAN connection breaks, no internet across all devices.

The only fix is rebooting the router. More people recognize this issue who are also using policy lists?

Force Internet traffic through tunnel: Policy rules
2 entries: Laptop + Desktop with their respective IP's, Iface set to VPN.
On which router type? Did you complete a full reset and fresh setup, without using a backup file? You need to provide more detail on how you installed the latest beta onto your router.

Last edited:
While Upgrade from 384.19 to Beta2 went without any hassle the upgrade from Beta 2 to 3 somewhat killed WLAN on my AX88 completely - no clients were able to connect after JFFS format and complete nuke reset with manual config. Went back to 384.19 for now. Not sure what has changed as I had no chance to check the log file. Anyway, clients did see wireless on 2.4 and 5 Ghz but had no internet access. Wil continue to monitor to see how things evolve. And FYI - I have a totally simple config, no add-on tools, router directly connected to the DSL modem, no AIMesh

The issue with the LE certificate still hasn't been resolved with Beta3 on my RT-AX88U.
After the upgrade I formatted the jffs partition and factory reset my router.
I doubt a fix has been made to the current GPL code, which Beta 3 is using from ASUS provided to Merlin. See the post from ASUSWRT_2020.

Last edited:
Can you attach a screen shot on VPN routing page?
Hereby:
I have removed username/password

On which router type? Did you complete a full reset and fresh setup, without using a backup file? You need to provide more detail how you installed the latest beta onto your router.
AC86U, full reset without backup file.

When adding a second client failed, I rebooted. After reboot, the VPN client with the 2 policy entries worked. Then I disabled the VPN client again and this happened:

This: "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." causes the entire internet to break and a restart is the only option.

Hereby:
I have removed username/password

AC86U, full reset without backup file.

When adding a second client failed, I rebooted. After reboot, the VPN client with the 2 policy entries worked. Then I disabled the VPN client again and this happened:

This: "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." causes the entire internet to break and a restart is the only option.
Try to remove "route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" from custom config and restart Client.

Dirty upgrade from beta2 to beta3. AiMesh node first, followed by the main router (5 sec after aimesh node showed 100% comoplete).
The main router failed first time, but after I disconnected usb (forgot first time round) and re-applied image everything works fine.
upgrade.png

Updated from a very stable 384.19 to the latest beta 3 firmware for my AX88U, using a VPN client and policy routing.
All went well, no reset applied as all seems fine.
All 40 plus clients connected and port forwarding etc, all working as expected.
Alexa also connected with router control, as previously.

Many thanks Eric for your long and continued support with your enhanced firmware, most appreciated.

EDIT...

Noted these within the log.....

Dec 29 12:27:20 ovpn-client1[7280]: WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1542', remote='link-mtu 1558'
Dec 29 12:27:20 ovpn-client1[7280]: WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 128', remote='keysize 256'

but resolved with a new generation of the config file used from my VPN supplier. Just posting that if anyone else notes the issue.

Last edited:
Seeing this every 5 minutes on 386.1 beta 3.

Dec 29 22:21:17 rc_service: dhcp6c 22455:notify_rc restart_ddns
Dec 29 22:21:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Dec 29 22:21:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart ddns)

I don't use ddns. Everything running well, just the log spam every 5 minutes (shrug).:oops:

Confirming the same problem I had last night when updating my AX88u to beta 3. I updated from the current stock firmware ASUS has for this router. I had previously used Merlin's beta 2 with no issue.

When I update to beta 3, all clients say they connect in the router GUI. They seem to be connected on the client side as well. The router says it is connected to the internet (both LED and GUI). Nonetheless, I lose connectivity to the internet on all clients. Rebooting clients and router does not help. Resetting to the latest stock 386 firmware from ASUS
no internet.JPG
resolves the issue.

I'm attaching as screen shot of the log file in case that is helpful.

Hey, new guy here, so let me know if I'm not being complete with my feedback.

Updated to 386.1b3 on AC1900P (using AC68U firmware) with factory default restore and using as an AP. Not getting anything on Internet Traffiic graph (zero traffic being shown) on System Status view and USB3.0 is no longer picking up my SSD (USB2.0 is). And possible connectivity issues, still sorting that one out. No addons being used.

Otherwise thank you RMerlin for your efforts, 384.19 release worked well (no issues as noted above).

Last edited:
Confirming the same problem I had last night when updating my AX88u to beta 3. I updated from the current stock firmware ASUS has for this router. I had previously used Merlin's beta 2 with no issue.

When I update to beta 3, all clients say they connect in the router GUI. They seem to be connected on the client side as well. The router says it is connected to the internet (both LED and GUI). Nonetheless, I lose connectivity to the internet on all clients. Rebooting clients and router does not help. Resetting to the latest stock 386 firmware from ASUSView attachment 28901 resolves the issue.

I'm attaching as screen shot of the log file in case that is helpful.
I solved restart the node RT-AX58U, RT-AX56U, RT-AC1900U after restart the nodes restart the main router rt-AX88U.

I solved restart the node RT-AX58U, RT-AX56U, RT-AC1900U after restart the nodes restart the main router rt-AX88U.
I tried multiple restarts of Router an clients wihtout success - the clients show as connected yet no internet access. Also tried to re-apply FW without success. As stated before I do not use AiMesh

Last edited:
Beta 3 is running fairly smooth on my AC2900 (incl. Client networks 1 on 2,4 and on 5 GHz)
Strange thing is CPU temperature, it's reads about 15 degrees Celsius higher than it did on 384.19 without workload. Wifi temps seem OK.

Last edited:
HTTPS Wrong place mybe?

The RT-AX86U has installed Version: 3.0.0.4 384_9318 and upgraded to Merlin 386.1_beta2. A factory restore(Initiaize all--) was done and later a reboot. All connections are wired, and the router worked well as expected(Had an old AC86U).

HTTPS was done by “How to enable HTTPS and create a certification--- 2020/12/13)” and Notepad as adviced.
When I did the reboot, I lost the secure state? When I tried again, the electric power was lost at cert.tar position.
Now I get to cert.tar and cert.crt(with the whole certificate opend) in Notepad. No reaction with double click cert.crt as the first time.

The PC has istalled Windows 10 x64 (2004 and 20H2).

Yes, I do need some good advice how to solve this mess.

Regards
Frost

@RMerlin On my AX88U when I click the "view list" button on the network map page to display connected clients and it causes an internet connection drop, my video playing on the TV pauses for a few seconds and then starts back up. I checked the log and there's nothing. Also I have connected wireless clients that show in the off line client list but are connected and working. I have a AC68U as an access point running 384.19 and it shows all my connected clients properly. I know you haven't started on bugs yet I just thought I would say the problems above were also present in the beta2.

RT-AC86U beta 3 clean install from original 3.0.0.4.386.40451, reset all reconfigured.
I found that the CPU temperature is approx. 10-15 C higher.
Instead of the usual 65-70 C it is now 75-85 C.
Is this a bug?

RT-AC86U beta 3 clean install from original 3.0.0.4.386.40451, reset all reconfigured.
I found that the CPU temperature is approx. 10-15 C higher.
Instead of the usual 65-70 C it is now 75-85 C.
Is this a bug?
I just checked my two AC86U's
- CPU: 57°C - this one is in my garage, which is currently 5°C, so staying cool
- CPU: 79°C - this one is in our spare bedroom on the 2nd floor and is in line with your observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!