What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW my AC86U has not experienced a significant bump in temp.

I have an audiable notification set up in HA when the temp hits 77C, and it has - but it doesn't seem to be a long term thing that the fan cannot easily mitigate.

Dunno if this helps, but I am happy to provide any relevant historical data.
You have active cooling on yours? Nice. I'm not concerned about the temps - still well below the limits. I likely would not have even noticed had it not been mentioned by others.

Hmm...maybe the temperature bump on RT-AC86U routers (@RMerlin mentioned that Asus sometimes tweaks the CPU power saving measures) is related to them trying to resolve the long-standing warm reboot issues this router suffers from. Pure speculation on my part, just a guess.

Edit: I'm not sure this is a great tradeoff, even if it was the intention. My RT-AC86U router's CPU went from averaging about 74C on previous firmwares (in an ambient room temp of 20-21C), to now running about 87C on this 386.1 B3 firmware (with the same 21C ambient room temp). Wow, what happens in the summer, when ambient room temps might be 10C degrees higher?? (BTW, no, I don't have A/C) That potentially puts the CPU really close to that 100C throttling temperature. Ugly IMHO, I hope Asus reverts this change by then.

Last edited:
You have active cooling on yours? Nice. I'm not concerned about the temps - still well below the limits. I likely would not have even noticed had it not been mentioned by others.

Yes, I put this fan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDGXWC3/?tag=snbforums-20

on it and set up an automation in Home Assistant that uses SSH to grab the temp (and many other metrics) from my various routers, and take action on them. One of the few audio actions is that it announces "Router temp has hit 77C..." and it has, but this is not real unusual, it does so once or twice a week, even with the fan on low speed.

It was originally set up to announce a lot of cool data, but it was bothering my wife to hear Suricata report "So and so attempted CVS xyz from an IP address in Russia" eight times a day. Personally I thought it was cool...

FWIW my AC86U has not experienced a significant bump in temp.

I have an audiable notification set up in HA when the temp hits 77C, and it has - but it doesn't seem to be a long term thing that the fan cannot easily mitigate.

Dunno if this helps, but I am happy to provide any relevant historical data.
Uhhh, what fan? there's one in the AC86?

Uhhh, what fan? there's one in the AC86?

No, it is an addon I picked up on Amazon.

I FULLY trust RMerlin when he says there is usually no compelling need for one, but...but I love tinkering, and being able to tinker for the small cost of a fan was a worthwhile indulgence for me.

The topical takeaway tho is beta3 is working perfectly, just as beta2 did (in my environment).

No, it is an addon I picked up on Amazon.

I FULLY trust RMerlin when he says there is usually no compelling need for one, but...but I love tinkering, and being able to tinker for the small cost of a fan was a worthwhile indulgence for me.

The topical takeaway tho is beta3 is working perfectly, just as beta2 did (in my environment).
we mustve been typing at the same time...
tinkering - I resemble that remark!

Spent the day with AX86U on Beta 3 without running into any new issues.

So far not seen WAN disconnection with two VPN clients running (next step to let NordVPNManager manage one of the VPN clients).

Same as others have reported here, AdaptiveQoS DL/UL bandwidth settings do not affect download/upload speeds.

Upgraded a travel router (GL.iNet GL-MT300N-v2) firmware for OpenVPN 2.4.0 support - then remote connection to the AX86U VPN server worked no problem.

Last edited:
So odd. I'm having the same connectivity issue with my AX88U. Wifi is fine, but I can no longer access internet from any client with beta 3. I'm at a loss as to why only some of us are seeing this problem. Reverting back to stock 386 solved the problem. Beta 2 did not have the issue.

I have been seeing the same issues with beta 3 ... 34 clients mix of wired and wireless. 12 wired 14 5g and 7-8 2.4g everything is fine running great but then router disconnects from ISP. after a couple minutes it comes back up. I have had to reboot a couple times to get it back online... Trying to get logs captured to see what happens but i'm not seeing anything consistent yet.

check MTU on wan page, must be 1500 (cable) and 1492 (pppoe)

Re-generation is already fixed in beta 3.
Thank you so much, I saw it on github.

And no one but Asus can create these binary files because it requires access to source code that only they possess. Decompiling ARM asm code, analyzing it, modifying it and recompiling it is something that would take days, if not weeks of work. I always end up downloading Asus`s code drops within a few hours of them uploading it. Unless an organization backed by million of dollars in resources is involved in such an attack, this isn`t happening.
Thanks, now I know I just think too much, Sorry to disturb you.:D

Last edited:
Good for you and all your neighbours using the same 36-40 channels.

The correct answer comes straight after my question. I should wait for 10 minutes.

only necessary if you overlap with DFS channels... that timeout/check is built into the spec. And if someone runs anything that looks like radar through there, your wifi is gonna go off for 10 minutes too. So look back at this post when you come back to tell us it keeps disappearing :p

It's very hard not to overlap with DFS channels when using 160gb. Why on god's green earth would you do that? Are you running a large business, or do you just enjoy driving 18 wheelers down small city side streets for fun? :p

Unfortunately, this time, I lost all access to the internet. I rebooted the router, but no joy. Then I rolled back to stock and was ok with internet access again.

That might qualify for the least amount of debugging (or at least information provided) I've ever seen from someone who wants an explanation of something they didn't even describe. I mean seriously, start at the top:

1. Did the router boot up?
2. Did it get communication from your upstream? Which was...? IP assigned?
3. Could you ping/ssh with the router from the LAN? From the wireless? ...
4. What did your upstream see? Ping...

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but "I plugged it in and it didn't work so I unplugged it" isn't something you can request an explanation of why it didn't work;)

When I update to beta 3, all clients say they connect in the router GUI. They seem to be connected on the client side as well. The router says it is connected to the internet (both LED and GUI). Nonetheless, I lose connectivity to the internet on all clients. Rebooting clients and router does not help.

You must isolate the problem. Right now it's somewhere between the end user and the far side :D

* Could clients communicate with the router? Ping or TCP test.
* Could ethernet clients communicate with the router?
* Could the router communicate with the Internet?

That would at least identify what kind of problem you're looking at.

I just upgraded a AX88U & AC86U to beta 3 to try out Aimesh 2.

however, I find that the client list will discover and appear again. Is that normal ?

for me the same was in alpha 1 and beta 1/2

I just upgraded a AX88U & AC86U to beta 3 to try out Aimesh 2.

however, I find that the client list will discover and appear again. Is that normal ?
Yes it is, don't be overly concerned about it.

I spoke with Asus about the current issues with various Trend Micro-related features on the RT-AX56U, RT-AX58U and RT-AX86U. These should be resolved in theory in the next GPL merge.

I spoke with Asus about the current issues with various Trend Micro-related features on the RT-AX56U, RT-AX58U and RT-AX86U. These should be resolved in theory in the next GPL merge.

Next GPL merge means that GPL you received yesterday or a future one?

I saw a comment about needing to unplug the USB stick when upgrading FW versions....is that correct? Just for a dirty upgrade from B2 to B3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!