What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I suspected, this was a deliberate change by Asus in a recent GPL merge.

Code:
@@ -3613,6 +3701,9 @@ void init_others(void)
#ifdef GTAC2900
        update_cfe_ac2900();
#endif
+#if defined(RTAC86U) || defined(GTAC2900)
+       system("pwr config --wait off");
+#endif
#if defined(RTAX88U) || defined(RTAX92U)
        if(nvram_match("HwVer", "1.0")) {
                system("pwr config --cpuwait off");

No idea why, I can only assume it was to address a specific problem, like how they already do the same on earlier revisions of the RT-AX88U.

If your router is hitting the 100C threshold following this change, then it means it was already running hotter than it should. Make sure you do have some airflow around it (and that it's not in an enclosed cabinet), maybe give it a good dusting just to be sure.

If you still run into CPU throttling, I recommend you test again running Asus's stock 386_41535 firmware, reproduce the issue, then use the Feedback form to notify them.

Code:
#ifdef GTAC2900
        update_cfe_ac2900();
#endif
+#endif

No idea why, I can only assume it was to address a specific problem, like how they already do the same on earlier revisions of the RT-AX88U.

If your router is hitting the 100C threshold following this change, then it means it was already running hotter than it should. Make sure you do have some airflow around it (and that it's not in an enclosed cabinet), maybe give it a good dusting just to be sure.

If you still run into CPU throttling, I recommend you test again running Asus's stock 386_41535 firmware, reproduce the issue, then use the Feedback form to notify them.

Seems like from the code that they also apply that for newer revision of the AC86U, i have mid-end 2020 AC86U with CFE ver 1.0.1.0. Was gonna try it but seems like it's gonna apply it too no matter what. Hmm .. i guess we'll see what Asus has to say on the Official beta thread

Would also be nice, if ASUS would release a new RC/Beta firmware to aid in the testing, for all current supported AiMesh routers.
Conspiracy theory :cool:
Perhaps Asuswrt-Merlin is the beta test/release candidate. Just because ASUS drops an SDK or source tarball does not mean they have released it for their own product. But Asuswrt-Merlin does.

Just kidding. I have no idea how the ASUS release process works. And I am happy to be beta testing this firmware.

Does Let's Encrypt work with custom ddns providers? Using a cloudflare custom script, and Let's encrypt is stuck at "authorizing". However, running /sbin/le_acme runs fine and generated all the certificates. UI still stuck at "authorizing".

Nothing about acme or Let's Encrypt in the logs.

I was seeing the same problem. I found that the LE certificate was properly generated in /jffs/.le/ so I manually removed /etc/cert.pem and /etc/key.pem and stuff, then redid the authorization from the panel and it worked.

Seems like there's something in the code that won't replace a valid certificate, even if you're switching from self-generated to LE...

The MTU would be set as empty, which would stop all internet access.

...for people who had upgraded without a reset.

Sorry, my reply was subject to a thing that I see sometimes here where it seems to filter the view, and thus your later posts weren't visible to me. After I'd posted suddenly 10 more pages of comments appeared :(

Still-- the type of questions I posted would have helped people help you faster.

RT-AX56U Beta 3 works as intended. No noticeable bugs or misbehavior.
I also get a hold on an RT-AX92U. WOW This router is a blast with 64bit Broadcom BCM4906 (1.8 GHz, 2 cores)/256-512/BCM4352 2x2/BCM43684 4x4/Tri-band. I wish there was a Merlin fw for it also...

Dirty Update - RT-AX88u / RT-AC88u both working as expected in conjunction with RT-AX92u using the latest stock firmware and AiMesh 2.0.

Addons:
  • diversion
  • skynet (Suricata broke before the update)
  • cake-qos

Note: initial startup time is long and looks like it failed to update. Just make a tea and try not to interfere (like I did :).

Running the command "pwr config --wait on" has re-enabled the CPU wait state.

Temps are slowly dropping towards 90 degrees now.
I ran this command and my temps dropped immediately from 95C to 85C. A little warmer than the 80C with Beta2.

This is in the open air in a room at 20C, nothing around it.

Last edited:
normally I have an USB fan blowing air into the AX88U it sits around 70-72. Now with Beta 3 it is sitting around 68-70

Code:
#ifdef GTAC2900
        update_cfe_ac2900();
#endif
+#endif

Thanks for the root cause analysis @RMerlin. Will keep an eye on temps. No concerns on my two RT-AC86U's yet. Summer time will be an issue for the one in my garage though as the ambient temps get up there. Maybe I'll have a new router by then... heh.

I take it this is likely to stay in their GPL for a while? Unless there are a slew of issues reported and they revert?

Would guess that command could be run in a startup script on an AC86U pending a fix? Keep us posted on your Temps, please.
Ok, I have left my router in this state for most of the day, but as of 11pm, I have been gaming and watching videos etc, which has been keeping the router busy (with Cake QoS enabled), and temps were up at about 97 again even with the CPU wait state enabled.

As I was checking the stats and logs, I saw the CPU go into thermal overload, and only the one working core was showing on the main page CPU utilisation meter.

Doors are closed, so even though it is evening, I would say the room may still be around 30 degrees ambient. The router is sitting on a desk by a window, so the ventilation can't get much better.

I have had to roll back to beta 2, and immediately my temps are down at 90 degrees and falling. It appears that enabling the CPU wait state is not enough to offset the additional heat that beta 3 has introduced.

Ok, I have left my router in this state for most of the day, but as of 11pm, I have been gaming and watching videos etc, which has been keeping the router busy (with Cake QoS enabled), and temps were up at about 97 again even with the CPU wait state enabled.

As I was checking the stats and logs, I saw the CPU go into thermal overload, and only the one working core was showing on the main page CPU utilisation meter.

Doors are closed, so even though it is evening, I would say the room may still be around 30 degrees ambient. The router is sitting on a desk by a window, so the ventilation can't get much better.

I have had to roll back to beta 2, and immediately my temps are down at 90 degrees and falling. It appears that enabling the CPU wait state is not enough to offset the additional heat that beta 3 has introduced.

It seems someone at Asus may live in chillier climes, since they've added a space heater feature with this update. ;-p

RE AC86 Temps
Until now the only temperature issue my ac86u experienced is the setting is stuck on Canadian and won't stay on Foreigner ;)
You mean the rest of the developed world? ;)

METRIC FTW!

Back on 386 beta 3. Did a services-start script file to run "pwr config --wait on" and the CPU temp is holding at 83-84 C. Cooling fan on order...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!