What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Flashed Merlin 386.1_2 on AC5300, but now the router is bricked.

I enetered Recovery mode, Hold reset button while powering on, then used ASUS Firmware Restoration, for some odd reason when the utility reaches 92% of restoration the transfer stop and cancelled.

here is a picture,
I tried multiple times with diffrent version of firmware, i also used diffrent PCs and laptops... i also pluged in difrent Ethernet cables. but no luck
Anyone care to help me...
Thank you

sER5EF9.png
Early on, with my first couple of AC68U's, I had problems with the firmware restoration tool and flashing when using Goggle Chrome. Those issues went away when using Microsoft Edge. I have no experience with Firefox.

Early on, with my first couple of AC68U's, I had problems with the firmware restoration tool and flashing when using Goggle Chrome. Those issues went away when using Microsoft Edge. I have no experience with Firefox.
i dont understand... you mean i download the tool via edge browser?

ac86u still on 386.1 going dirty to 386.1_2

I have noticed reports of being unable to log in to the router gui. These are just observations reported in case they might be useful
since getting in this am was, um, "interesting" for me and I have not seen reports of similar events.
  1. the gui would randomly prompt me, or not, for a captcha, but nothing would satisfy it.
  2. could not get in after repeated attempts using pale moon
  3. ditto using waterfox classic
However one try with epiphany was as fast and as smooth as a spender with a new credit card.

Perhaps someone has read the entrails of this particular sheep?

Anyway, if unable to log in, one can try a different browser. You just never know.

Edit: all of brave, waterfox classic, epiphany (even tho logged in), or pale moon would not complete flashing the firmware even tho one or two would begin the process and then just hang, right after completing the upload of the update file, seemingly forever.

The problem in palemoon disappeared after completely clearing the cookies. Flushing the cache was insufficient.

Last edited:
I tried diffrent Firmwares, from ASUS websites, also diffrent Merlin Firmware, I downloaded them from edge browers
I also tried old restoration tool from ASUS website,

The restoration tool just fails in the end ... this is very awkward... is there other way to force flash frimware using SSH or SCP using putty or winSCP...

My 5300 is bricked and am trying to restore it with ASUS restoration tool... but fails everytime, is there a firmware that i can tryto flash that might not fail?

am failing at restoring firmware everytime with the ASUS Tool... need your immense help please.. Thank you
c8COD9R.png
s1IlTQy.png

Last edited:
I tried diffrent Firmwares, from ASUS websites, also diffrent Merlin Firmware, I downloaded them from edge browers
I also tried old restoration tool from ASUS website,

The restoration tool just fails in the end ... this is very awkward... is there other way to force flash frimware using SSH or SCP using putty or winSCP...

My 5300 is bricked and am trying to restore it with ASUS restoration tool... but fails everytime, is there a firmware that i can tryto flash that might not fail?

am failing at restoring firmware everytime with the ASUS Tool... need your immense help please.. Thank you
c8COD9R.png
s1IlTQy.png
When in Rescue Mode, does your router respond on http://192.168.1.1/ to manually upload the firmware?

Finally joined after daily forum reading and to share my f/w experiences.

Bought the RT-AX3000 around Black Friday, let it run a few days to get used to it then flashed Merlin's 384.19. My network is basic; no Mesh and no more than 7 or 8 devices between wired, 2.4 and 5. Seamless and rock solid. Along comes 386.1 and updated a few days later then began noticing random 2.4G drops only on 1 device; a LaCrosse Weather Station using Espressif Inc guts. While some have suggested changing 2.4 channels, I knew this was not the problem since the other 2 devices on 2.4 never dropped but did it anyway. No help. Then others suggested disabling beamforming. No help so it got switched back. It was apparent that something in 386.1 was the culprit that my weather station did not like (or vice-versa). I let it go for another week then for no reason, the router would no longer log entries except for the reboot entries. Then comes 386.1_2 so I tried that even though there was no mention of 2.4 fixes/changes but did not help. Back to 384.19 and all is as it was before. I hated to revert back since becoming accustomed to the additional features but really cannot have the weather station dropping as it sends data every 5 minutes to WeatherUnderground. Hope this helps others.

When in Rescue Mode, does your router respond on http://192.168.1.1/ to manually upload the firmware?
not at all...

in windows network settings it says unindentified
ZDFtZZb.png

EDIT: i read somehwere in ASUS forums that you can reflash the router thru tftp via lan ports... but there is no explanation on how to do it or step to do it... you think this will help? how one can reflash the router thru tftp via lan ports?

thank you for your time

i dont understand... you mean i download the tool via edge browser?
No, not when downloading downloading the tool. Use Edge when accessing the router when the router is in rescue mode.

@Akbaar What happens when you power your router on, while keeping the WPS button pressed? It should ask for a firmware image to upload. But you manually need to set the IP address of your PC to something like 192.168.1.10

How can I activate language selection on chinese RT-AC86U. Now I have only English and Chinese language selection.
On one of old firmware from koolshare I can choose from 19 languages. On all latest and on official firmwares only 2 languages.
View attachment 30745
got the full list on my AC86U. Not a Merlin issues as such (just so you know and can rule it out) something else?

@Akbaar What happens when you power your router on, while keeping the WPS button pressed? It should ask for a firmware image to upload.
well, the power led starts to flash quickly if i press WPS and power on the router, than when i let it go, the router goes blank than power on led then flashes couple of time then it keeps doing same loop restarting then flashing

AC66U_B1, since 384.19 and now 386.1_2 the web interfact to the router runs incredibly slow of often won't resolve. I've rebooted of course and tried from muliple devices, laptop, android 11 phone etc... The router is working, speeds are good and everything as you'd expect expect the web interface is basically unable to be access the majority of the time.

Anyone experienced this? Any solutuons? Thank

well, the power led starts to flash quickly if i press WPS and power on the router, than when i let it go, the router goes blank than power on led then flashes couple of time then it keeps doing same loop restarting then flashing
And no screen message in your browser?

How can I activate language selection on chinese RT-AC86U. Now I have only English and Chinese language selection.
On one of old firmware from koolshare I can choose from 19 languages. On all latest and on official firmwares only 2 languages.
View attachment 30745

Have a read through this thread. May be of help;

Just dirty-upgraded RT-AC5300 from 384.19 to 386.1. All good, apart from having to wait up to 90 minutes or so after each reboot (!) for the UI. Examining the problem, I discovered that nt_center process was at 100% for a very long time. Finally it finishes, but after reboot it takes another 90 minutes. The fix was simple. I found a 260Mb /jffs/.sys/nc/nt_center.db which was being actively written to. After researching on this forum (i.e., here), I simply deleted the contents of /jffs/.sys/nc - and viola, no more waiting for UI after reboot. I hope someone finds it useful.
Some of us ran into this huge DB during the prior 384.19 upgrades. We removed it without issues b/c it filling up the JFFS. This seems to be a good tip to substantially reduce the long wait times being reported until the GUI responds. I'm surprised no one else picked up on @Maksym posting. For the pros, any thoughts on making this an "if you can" recommended step for those with SSH access to the routers? From the GUI and JFFS format might also do it? Thoughts? Stay safe, stay alive!

And no screen message in your browser?
yes it only says not conected.
i tried 192.168.1.10

firmware restoration reaches 93% and then it fails...
no way i can access the router on any browser. i tried chrome, and edge. and opera ...

the router power led is static ON , and windows cant identify

y5WK9U2.png

AKth0M5.png

EDIT: the router keeps restarting and then power led blinking, than static light after 3 min it restarts again

not at all...

in windows network settings it says unindentified
ZDFtZZb.png

EDIT: i read somehwere in ASUS forums that you can reflash the router thru tftp via lan ports... but there is no explanation on how to do it or step to do it... you think this will help? how one can reflash the router thru tftp via lan ports?

thank you for your time
As mentioned above, you need to set a manual IP on your Ethernet 2 NIC since the DHCP server isn’t available in Rescue Mode.
But instead of using the Utility, browse to http://192.168.1.1/

As mentioned above, you need to set a manual IP on your Ethernet 2 NIC since the DHCP server isn’t available in Rescue Mode.
But instead of using the Utility, browse to http://192.168.1.1/
I've done this too many times to admit on 384.19....
a) Make sure you manually set the IP to be in the same subnet on the Windows box for the default 192.168.1.11 would work.
b) Then connect your PC's LAN port direct to the LAN PORT 1 on the router (I've been told this is the preferred port over the years).
c) Then follow the factory reset instructions exactly as stated on Asus's site for your router model. NOTE: The "factory reset" instructions vary by router model. Use your specific model's instructions. (This little gotcha burned me very badly per above as my model was slightly different than some others...)
c1) See here for "Method 1" which lists the RT-AC5300 -> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039077
c2) (Long shot) Maybe attempt a NVRAM clear? (Though I would think a factory reset would do that?)
How? Looking at the router from the back, press the WPS button on the left hand side for 30 seconds as you turn the power for the router on. This will clear the NVRAM, and all settings. Then reboot the router, then power it off.
d) Then attempt your recovery using the recovery tool (2.1.0.2 - 2018/07/23) for that model. -> https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT...SUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AC5300/HelpDesk_Download/
e) I admit, it is very odd you are reaching 93% and then it is dying.

Edited: if this does not work, then I'm out of experiences to help. I just added a possible NVRAM clear to make sure everything is gone. A, B, C, D recovered one of my AC86U when I was about to toss it in the recycling pile last year. YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!