What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1_beta5 few days ago, just did another dirty upgrade to 386.1 all seems good so far still.

Temps (celsius)
RT-AC86U - 384.19 : 51 - 53 - 69
RT-AC86U - 386.1_beta5 : 53 - 55 - 73
RT-AC86U - 386.1 : 51 - 57 - 72

My temps are pretty much normal, they flucuate usually by 2/4 degrees depending on room temperature, but normal for me.

Thanks @RMerlin!

Updated my AC86U from 384.19 to 386.1 and was very pleased to see that the guest WiFi isolation issue I mentioned in the beta thread is not present in this version. Now client isolation in the guest network seems to follow the 'Set AP isolated' setting in the Wireless -> Professional tab, as in previous releases. Not sure who is responsible for this being fixed, but I'm very grateful as it has allowed me to keep 386.1 running on this router.

EDIT: After further experimentation, it seems that the issue occurs when setting up the guest networks using the second column on the Guest Network page - a variable I'd overlooked in my previous tests.

Many thanks to @RMerlin, @themiron and everyone involved in getting this version released.

Last edited:
After having some issues with previous updates this method works for me.....

Backup the settings and JFFS partition.
When on 384.19 I had IPv6 disabled. My VPN client was manually created with IPv4 only. All worked fine with policy based routing, no issues at all.
To successfully go to 386 type firmware...

Download a config for my VPN including IPv6.
Set IPv6 to Native within the router.

Disable settings within the VPN client and turn it off. Then return to defaults within the client, that removes the certificates etc.
Apply the 386.1 update.
when it has rebooted. Go and make a cup of tea.
All settings are fine and client list is slowly restoring. JFFS partition is already mounted - that would fail if I hadn't previously defaulted the VPN client. It would need a format on the next reboot for it to be mounted, causing much to be lost.
As the client list has now populated with around 42 clients, and ten or so minutes have passed, I now load the config previously downloaded for the VPN client. - This also works fine due to previously defaulting the VPN client. If I had not done this it would continually "error" and not work, no amount of defaulting the client or formatting the JFFS partition would resolve that. I had to do a factory reset when at that stage.
Apply policy based routing etc and all works fine.

I now seem to have the above method for me it works smoothly and without issues. Just my thoughts now that I'm on the 386 firmware, I imagine that I will not have to do what I did with the VPN client for other updates as it seemed to be an issue for me coming from 384.19 to this latest release.

So all good and working fine.

Thanks Eric for what you have done with this release. It seemed a tough one to nail down a final version, but you managed it. Most appreciated. Great also now you have got your PC upgrade and the difference that it has made for your compiling. Excellent result there, to be able to buy new components these days, at close to MRRP, is pretty good going. It is a challenge to find them at all.

Stay safe everyone :)

Merlin, Thank you for the 386.1_0 Release. Thank You:). I have been running smoothly with 386.1_0 after upgrading from 9.0.0.4_386_41994-g769f84f for about 1 hour.

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: AX88U 386.1_0 + 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AC86U 386.1_0
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Asus GX-U1051 5-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
I did Factory reset for AiMesh Nodes & Router and use Merlin default NVRAM setting except with the following changes:
  • Enabled AiProtection: ON
    • build-in Speedtest (Down:664, Up:945) or Speedtest (Down:913, Up:937) on my MacBookPro
  • USB Application
    • UPnP Media Server: OFF
    • Samba Share: OFF
  • LAN:
    • 40 items in my DHCP manually Assigned IP List
  • Wireless:
    • Wi-Fi Agile Multiband: Enable, Protected Management Frames: Capable. (Steering & Roaming is working with all our iPhones that move around the house (including iPhone 7, X, XsMax) that support IEEE 802.11 v, r, k)
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Control Channel: Auto, Universal Beamforming: Disable
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Control Channel: Auto
  • WAN DDNS:
    • Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt (Let’s Encrypt working)
  • IPv6: Enable
    • Native (working)
  • VPN Servers (Connecting one at a time from the following clients):
    • OpenVPN works with MacBookPro 3.8.5beta02 (build 5620), iPhoneXsMax iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations (Cisco IPSec)
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.9

Lots of syslog errors when using Guest Network 1 on the RT-AX86U or RT-AX88U - use Guest Network 2 instead if you don't need sharing with other AiMesh nodes (issue within Asus's code, same issue also exists in stock firmware and will have to be resolved by them)
Does this mean that the wan going down when changing wifi related settings still exists when using guest 1 on ax86?

Try rebooting the NAS, or, simply unplugging the LAN cables for a few minutes and plugging them back in.
It is weird. I rebooted the NAS and it still kept showing the port 2 IP.

Then I unplugged the cable for about 10 minutes and after reconnecting it I can see It was maintaining the port 2 IP.

So I turned off the NAS ... and I can see that the NAS was being shown in the client list even some minutes after it was turned off. So I Updated the Status Client List ... after that the NAS disappeared from the client list. Then I turned on the NAS ... and now it is being shown the right port 1 IP in the client list.

One more strange thing is that when the wrong port 2 IP was being shown in the client list ... the MAC address that was appearing in the client list was the MAC address from port 1 and not the MAC address from the port 2. It was like a mix of the MAC Address from the port 1 and IP address from the port 2. And the NAS only accessible from the IP address that it is not shown in the client list. :eek:

From the original post:
- Direct upgrade from 384.18 or 384.19 should be fine, but be prepared to do a factory default reset if something does not work as expected.

I'm personally going to wait a bit, and I would always take photos/screenshots and set it up from scratch when doing a major update like 384->386.
I'm running an AC68U and went from 384.19 > beta3 > beta5 > 386.1, DHCP was definitely wobbly going to beta3. I would recommend a factory reset and and reconfiguration. I print my router setting web pages as pdf's and store them for reference to assist the reconfiguration.

Hi,
After Upgrading the Hostkey of my AC-88U had changed. Is this expected bahaviour? I wasn't expecting it.

Can we check if we all have a different hostkey? mine is:
Code:
192.168.1.1 ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIB6TrvLBeavvT5fZS1SMza98o7SCSEJhZOtR3/MXaR7x

Does anyone know how to change the backhaul wifi network that is selected when setting up an aimesh node?

I'm not sure when it happened... but when setting up my primary router... i believe it auto designated the 5ghz-2 band as ASUS_5G_BH.
I was under the assumption that it would be the default wifi band used for backhaul.

I now see that the aimesh node is connecting to ASUS_5G.
Is this a hardcoded selection?
I do remember seeing in the previous beta that the backhaul had once selected the 2.4ghz band which required me to reboot routers for it to then select the 5G band.

If it always selects 5ghz-1 as the backhaul... i want to rename that to ASUS_5G_BH so that no client connections will use that band.
As it stands.... i'm now sharing ASUS_5G band for backhaul AND all client connections... which means nothing is using the 5ghz-2.

Thoughts?

Clean upgrade from beta5 to 386.1.
  1. First AiMesh node as usual - that went smoothly
  2. Safely removed USB drive from my AiMesh router WebUI and then
  3. Usual hickup when upgrading AiMesh router (HW A1.1) - first upgrade fails, but WebUI access continues and allows to a second try, which is succesful as usual (had the same hickup when upgrading from beta2->beta3, beta3->beta4a, beta4a->beta5 - always first upgrade failed and second attempt is successful.
  4. Something must be causing this first upgrade to fail, my non-expert ideas:
    • Unbound?
    • The fact AiMesh node that was upgraded first is keeping AiMesh router busy synchronising?
    • Maybe I should not remove USB disk as Merlin services rely on it - perhaps after first failed attempt it is remounted?
    • I noticed during second upgrade that one of the first thing was connecting to www.asus.com (info in bottom line of the browser, I did not see this in the first upgrade) - maybe that is a good lead?
  5. After factory resets / reconfiguration everything is running nicely
Thanks @RMerlin. Nice day to everyone and good luck to those still tinkering with their upgrades.

Last edited:
  • Added an option to run the new Speedtest through a specific OpenVPN client (the webui will automatically detect which client is currently running and add it to the list of available interfaces)

Where is this option for Speedtest ? I don't see it in the openvpn client nor vpn status statistics for openvpn

I've updated my ac5300. Now I get this message:

ipset v7.6, protocol version: 7
Warning: Kernel support protocol versions 6-6 while userspace supports protocol versions 6-7

How can I solve this?

another question. I use an AX55 as an aimesh node. If I click on the update node it shows a new blank page. The AX55 is not supported yet by Merlin, so I have removed the AX55 from the aimesh, and then reset it to default, updated it to the latest stock version, and then readded it to my AC5300 as an aimesh node.

Did I do something wrong, or does the update for aimesh nodes try to update these with Merlin firmware? If that is the case can there be in future updates an opportunity to point to a firmware file to update the aimesh node with?

Upgraded my AX88U by hard reset WPS and afterwards soft reset....all looking good some temp increase of 5 degrees.

but this is occurring every 7 seconds : Jan 31 14:01:55 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7

no idea what happening.

regards Q

I'll try to reset my router and see if working.
Upgraded my 3 AC-86U to 384.19 - went well. Took some time before the UI was responsive as expected.
Time blocking seems to take a looong time before it blocks the devices. But it works for me - not that I use it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!