What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to restore (only) custom_clientlist from my NVRAM backup.

Solved!
XIII,
By restoring "custom_clientlist", this list includes your old devices that you might have junked or given away. There seem to be no GUI to remove these old items except to manually edit away those items in the list.

@RMerlin would this be a unique issue with only my router, or something that might warrant further investigation?
Make sure your JFFS partition is writable and that it isn't full.

AC5300, update from 386.1_beta4 to 386.1. Nat acceleration "CTF" is no more working --> "Nat traffic is processed by cpu", the same with the beta5.
Now back again to 386.1_beta4 and CTF is working.
Look at the Sysinfo page, it will tell you why CTF is disabled.

My current ISP plan is 40 Mbps / 10 Mbps but I am getting 44 Mbps / 11 Mbps. I see some folks are saying that they are seeing a speed increase. Since I'm capped at 40/10 could I see much of an improvement?
Shhhh, don't let your ISP know or they'll come looking for more money.
Seriously, I don't trust the numbers from speedtests too much - they all look at things differently, calculate things differently, report things differently - what it really gets down to for me is the answer to "when everyone is on their devices, does anyone put them down because things are taking too long?" if no, then I don't have to upgrade my speed package.

Hi,
I know i don't have all the answers here but i can replicate this error easily and for me it has nothing to do with the Ai stuff. i have turned it all off since i started getting this issues very frequently.
For me it's the minute i install ovpn Client and reboot the Router.
The message says "fatal signal 11" and then it goes down and most of the time up again.
The VPN Client tunnels name is TUN 11. So the fatal signal 11 is (at least in my case) my VPN. Maybe some setting that is wrong. And i'm just guessing but it might have to do with Yazfi or at least how i use it.
Are you using VPN client? Are you using YazFi?
Now with the RT-AX86U i needed to get a stable good setup. ...
RMerlin was spot on [as usual] with his response to my original post ... problem was coming from Trend Micro code [closed source].

I have perfectly stable RT-AX86U's on 386.1 - HOWEVER ... in my view after flashing 386.1 firmware [with USB ejected] it is ESSENTIAL to do a full WPS button factory reset if you want proper stability. Even with that - my AX86U still does NOT like Guest WiFi 1 being used at all - whether across AiMesh nodes or confined to the Aimesh main Router ["buggy" errors abound] and I do NOT enable AiProtection - but prefer to rely on Skynet addon.

If you have ever enabled AiProtection and then later disable it - the problem remains - you must go to the "Administration" Tab and then to "Privacy" sub-tab and hit "Withdraw" button on the section denoting AiProtect / QOS etc.

Sadly - that blows out the use of FlexQOS, my favourite QOS add-on ... so I have had to revert to cake-qos for decent buffer bloat reduction.

Make sure your JFFS partition is writable and that it isn't full.
I do think you are onto something. I didn't know the significance of the "Flashing yellow [!] exclamation point" at the upper right side of the Asuswrt Gui which said:

Your router is running low on free JFFS storage, which might affect its stability.
Review the content of the /jffs directory on your router. Review System Information Now

Which then begs the question (since I can't SSH into the router) how do I correct the problem?

Note: I do see that on the [Internal Storage] tab that: JFFS is "Unmounted". The following attachment is after a fresh install of 386.1 and a Factory Default Restore w/ "Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History." box Checked.

I had also at the Administration/System/Persistent JFFS2 partition/Format JFFS partition at next boot YES -- Apply -- Reboot.

Just don't know how to make the JFFS partition writable[mounted?] or determine if is full, and if so, what to do about it.

NOTE: The second attachment is of my 2nd working AC-RT68U running 386.1 with a mounted JFFS. Dunno why one mounted and the other didn't

Attachments

• Web capture_2-2-2021_231910_192.168.1.1.jpeg
    Web capture_2-2-2021_231910_192.168.1.1.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Web capture_3-2-2021_102153_192.168.55.1.jpeg
    Web capture_3-2-2021_102153_192.168.55.1.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I can’t even read this thread anymore. Drives me nuts. I don’t even know why I’m posting this. Call me crazy. o_O

EDIT: I’m over-invested in this forum and don’t adequately appreciate the onslaught of users who only appear when a new release occurs, missing all the previous alpha and beta discussions.
Sympathies @dave14305 ... I know the feeling - but can also recall my total "noob" days with some pretty "classic" gaff questions :oops:.

It's the vast number of users with high expectations of being able to repeatedly do DIRTY upgrades from old major version codes [384...] to brand new major version codes [386...] without a full factory reset that blows my mind. :rolleyes:!

It "pays" to stop and consider how MANY hours/ days / weeks and sometimes MONTHS that the developer of the firmware [RMerlin] and indeed the add-on code developers have invested in their FREE offerings to this community ... to appreciate that a couple of hours of own time to manually re-configure our own routers from factory reset for MAJOR new release is TOTALLY worth it :D:cool:.

RT-AC5300, dirty upgrade from 384.19. Nothing out of the ordinary other than a couple known issues which were easily rectified:
  • Web interface wouldn't load. Known issue, just waited.
  • Clients on Guest Network 1 were switched to their own subnet. Known issue, switched settings over to Guest Network #2.
Love the updated web interface.

Thank you for all the work you put into this, and every, update

Just want to ask a quick question. Is the Ookla speedtest under Adapative QoS also included in the official asus fw with v386 or is it only exclusive to Asus_merlin fw? I'm checking the change logs for the official fw for AC68u and the latest http://demoui.asus.com/ is doesn't say that its included. Thanks!

Raphie,
I have a Synology DS918+ connect to LAN Port 1 & 2 of my RT-AX88U. After reading your post, I decided to turn ON "Bonding / Link Aggregation" . It seem to be working. (So that you get one more data point). Hope you resolve your issue soon.
It works on my ac5300 as well, aggregated, but only manual IP, the Synology not accept a DHCP any longer.

Yes, @duepointe, Asus corporate was tired of @Jack Yaz's spdMerlin script taking all the credit and stole his idea.

But his spdMerlin is still better. :)

No, you haven't crashed the update. Just be patient.

That doesn't mean that other issues aren't present that may necessitate a full reset though. Fingers crossed for you that it won't be needed. :)
Unfortunately no progress. Network is working, and I can access the GUI (that worked even right after the update). The Problem persists, that I can't log in. The router does not accept my credentials.
Anything I can do beside reset to factory??

Thanks

FlyByWire

Unfortunately no progress. Network is working, and I can access the GUI (that worked even right after the update). The Problem persists, that I can't log in. The router does not accept my credentials.

Thanks

FlyByWire
no

Thanks

FlyByWire
Try to logon from another PC, or else reset it.

Tried vom PC, IPad and even over VPN. Nothing worked. Stange, that the Router seems to be working normally. As SSH is still on, any chance to recover it that way?

AC86U clean install with hard reset. Apparently the guest network bug is happening on AC86U too.. with it enabled (guest 1) the logs are being spammed with the buggy line. Also because of that, the main 2.4ghz SSID is slow now. Like 3megabits per sec etc slow. And it's unreliable. Sometimes my phone says it can't connect to the internet. And even then I can't even open router IP. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I just disabled guest network 1 and it seems to be fixed. Gonna report again if I noticed anything else

Want to give a heads up for my AX88U (main router) update to 386.1:

Basically the dirty update from 384.19 went well, after freeing up the memory with command line:
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

But there are two issues/short cumings after the update:
  1. LAN: DHCP Server / Manually Assigned IPs - lost all entries here and some of my devices went balistic as they renewed their IP addresses with new ones. A restore was simple as I backed up the assignment with the great script dhcpstaticlist.sh from @Xentrk
  2. WAN: Virtual Server / Port Forwarding - lost all entries here also - but had only two, which I remembered well and entered manually
Maybe the two deleted areas should be mentioned in the change log/open issue list...?

Want to give a heads up for my AX88U (main router) update to 386.1:

Basically the dirty update from 384.19 went well, after freeing up the memory with command line:
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

But there are two issues/short cumings after the update:
  1. LAN: DHCP Server / Manually Assigned IPs - lost all entries here and some of my devices went balistic as they renewed their IP addresses with new ones. A restore was simple as I backed up the assignment with the great script dhcpstaticlist.sh from @Xentrk
  2. WAN: Virtual Server / Port Forwarding - lost all entries here also - but had only two, which I remembered well and entered manually
Maybe the two deleted areas should be mentioned in the change log/open issue list...?
1 report does not a known issue make. Sound like your nvram may have been corrupted during the upgrade, you may wish to do a reset to avoid any currently undetected issues.

Regarding DHCP, have you tried YazDHCP? It reworks the DHCP page to use jffs storage for DHCP information and not nvram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!