What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
160 MHz channel width is no longer available for AC88U?
I've seen it spoken of in the context of the AC88U, but I've never seen its availability on my router. I read that it's an AX capability only. But then I read that AC routers can combine two 80 channels to achieve a 160 channel. Who knows? At that point, the conversation leaves my ability to understand.

Just wanted to report another boring absolutely successful and error-free update on the AC86U coming directly from 384.19... Running Skynet, Connmon, ExpressVPN and have all the AIProtection/QoS stuff turned off.

I am one of those types who familiarized myself with this update from very early on, reading up on all the scenarios and everything that could go wrong and how to work around these issues by being deeply involved and reading each and every Alpha and Beta thread post that started months and months ago (on a DAILY basis!). I can't tell you how hard it was to wait for 386.1 stable. ;) (Props to all of you who went through the dark days of B4)

Also for the record... I don't use AiMesh. It just seems very prone to issues (don't debate me on this). I opted to just make life easier on myself, and implemented a 4-node Google Nest Wi-Fi setup, and tied it directly into my AC86U, which is acting as the firewall and gateway. It just works. You still get to enjoy the best of both worlds, for the most part. ;)

Big thanks to @RMerlin and everyone who supports his efforts... This community is amazing!

Using an RT-AC68U with an uncomplicated setup / minimum custom scripts etc. Waited for a few days, just to look at all the comments in this thread first ;) but ran a dirty upgrade from 384.19 > 386.1 just over four hours ago. Checked everything possible, but have had no problems at all so far. Re-booted after 90 mins, just to be 100% sure of that too, but all aspects are still running perfectly. Thanks @RMerlin It's been a blast!

@Viktor Jaep, come back to the light! The price! The price!

The price you're paying for 'just making it easier' is not worth using those 'G' word products. You know we'll take you back with open arms, and AiMesh v2.0 isn't half as bad as what you seem to have read about it. :D

Is this normal?

Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures:
50 °C
-
54 °C
-
81 °C
Never mind. It probably is normal

Does anyone know of a way to see the CPU temps of AiMesh nodes?

Easiest would be use amtm, install scMerlin and it will show you temps in an ssh session. That is what I do. Also, it gives you the ability to restart various services without a reboot.

Last edited:
ssh to node's ip then use this command " cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp "

ssh to node's ip then use this command " cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp "

That did it, just have to divide the answer by 1000 to get something that makes sense to humans. Thanks!

I am a newbie...what is the command to SSH to my node's IP (I do know the IP address)? Could somebody explain this process with a little detail please? We all have to start somewhere. Thanks in advance for your help!

I am a newbie...what is the command to SSH to my node's IP (I do know the IP address)? Could somebody explain this process with a little detail please? We all have to start somewhere. Thanks in advance for your help!
If you are not experienced, why do you want to ssh into a node? What's the issue you are trying to resolve?

If you are not experienced, why do you want to ssh into a node? What's the issue you are trying to resolve?
I am wanting to see the running temperature of the AiMesh node since it is an RT-AC86U (as mentioned a few posts above). I just need a little more guidance.

Last edited:
I am wanting to see the running temperature of the AiMesh node since it is an RT-AC86U (as mentioned a few posts above). I just need a little more guidance.
It depends. What OS are you running?

For Windows, look into a program called PuTTY.

For everything else, open a terminal and issue the command "ssh admin@192.168.1.1". Substitute your username and ip address. You'll also need your password.

I don't do this myself as I really don't worry about the temperature of the nodes (they are doing very little). However, in summary:

1. use Aimesh section of GUI on main router to find IP of the node - click on node then select network to show IP
2. use ssh client such as putty (windows) or terminal app (mac) to connect using ip address above
3. connect using the same user/pwd credentials as you would for main router
4. execute the cat command as described above in this thread

For everything else, open a terminal and issue the command "ssh admin@192.168.1.1". Substitute your username and ip address. You'll also need your password.
sorry - missed that you had already replied.

I personally think it is madness to stuff around with AiMesh nodes. At least they are easy to nuke and setup again. Usually. :)

For windows I used winscp a long time as well, because it was easier to backup (copy) and edit scripts. But after upgrading only putty works.
WinSCP gives the error, that no server is running , any ideas which file I have to edit, that sftp connections are allowed again ?

Thanks a lot.
Hugo

I always try to remember to "remove" my USB elegantly before a reboot, or upgrade. On a few occasions I've forgotten. I've never had to redo my USB in any sense because of that. Good luck!
Is there any way I can inspect the drive to determine what is or isn't there and/or restart SNMP please?

RT-AX86U running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 calls home. This shouldn't be a surprise I presume, but, nonetheless, its interesting to see that it does occur.

I connected the RT-AX86U behind a RT-AC86U which is running Skynet and Diversion and, after determining the correct IP address to watch with Skynet, restarted the AX86U a couple of times just to find out what it attempted to connect to. Turns out it calls home: routerahs.asus.com

No doubt there are more addresses that it does connect to during boot up, but one would have to completely block the IP address that its assigned or block the port on the upstream router to determine the whole list.

So, here's the log. There are 12 attempts to reach routerahs.asus.com, after which it gives up. I ran the log for 30 minutes and only saw this occur about 2.5 minutes after the AX86U was started :

Feb 3 23:01:06 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2
Associated Domain(s) - [routerahs.asus.com]\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:07 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:09 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:13 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:22 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:23 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:25 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:29 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:38 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:39 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:41 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

Feb 3 23:01:45 kernel: [BLOCKED - OUTBOUND] IN=br0 OUT= MAC=xx.xx.xx......... SRC=10.0.0.17 DST=103.10.4.85 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID)\cf1\highlight2

According to Hurricane Electric, the Destination IP belongs to Asustek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!