What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to give a heads up for my AX88U (main router) update to 386.1:

Basically the dirty update from 384.19 went well, after freeing up the memory with command line:
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

But there are two issues/short cumings after the update:
  1. LAN: DHCP Server / Manually Assigned IPs - lost all entries here and some of my devices went balistic as they renewed their IP addresses with new ones. A restore was simple as I backed up the assignment with the great script dhcpstaticlist.sh from @Xentrk
  2. WAN: Virtual Server / Port Forwarding - lost all entries here also - but had only two, which I remembered well and entered manually
Maybe the two deleted areas should be mentioned in the change log/open issue list...?
I recommend using the updated NVRAM Save/Restore Utility going forward. It has a script called save-mynvram.sh that can be used to save specific nvram values:
Code:
sh save-mynvram.sh dhcp_hostnames dhcp_staticlist

Saving dhcp_hostnames
Saving dhcp_staticlist
Backing up previous restore script to /tmp/mnt/AC88U/nsru/restore-mynvram.sh.bak

Saved 2 NVRAM variable(s)
Run /tmp/mnt/AC88U/nsru/restore-mynvram.sh to restore your saved settings

You can run the following command to back up DHCP, network map, port forwarding, and QOS rules into a script file:

Code:
nvram show | grep "custom_clientlist=<\|dhcp_staticlist=<\|dhcp_hostnames=<\|vts_rulelist=<\|qos_rulelist=<" | sed -e 's/^/nvram set /;s/=</="</;s/$/"/' -e '1i#! /bin/sh' -e '$anvram commit' > /opt/tmp/restorelists.sh

Just back up /opt/tmp/restorelists.sh to somewhere safe before doing a reset, and then run it to restore those settings.
@XIII
NVRAM Save/Restore Utility has a script named mynvram-save.sh that will allow you to save specific nvram variables.

See post above

For windows I used winscp a long time as well, because it was easier to backup (copy) and edit scripts. But after upgrading only putty works.
WinSCP gives the error, that no server is running , any ideas which file I have to edit, that sftp connections are allowed again ?

Thanks a lot.
Hugo
For SFTP connections, the Entware package openssh-sftp-server is required

Code:
opkg install openssh-sftp-server

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. is it necessary to update the openssh-ftp-server manually to apply security fixes or will they automatically downloaded? If not, which command I have to use for update?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. is it necessary to update the openssh-ftp-server manually to apply security fixes or will they automatically downloaded? If not, which command I have to use for update?
It's an entware package. Updates have to be applied manually. Just use option ep->1 in AMTM to update. Sounds like the pkg is not installed though. So just copy/paste the opkg install command in ssh session.

Dirty upgrade. 386.1 is a winner to both my RT-AC5300's. Thanks Eric and all other involved.

I recommend using the updated NVRAM Save/Restore Utility going forward. It has a script called save-mynvram.sh that can be used to save specific nvram values:
Code:
sh save-mynvram.sh dhcp_hostnames dhcp_staticlist

Saving dhcp_hostnames
Saving dhcp_staticlist
Backing up previous restore script to /tmp/mnt/AC88U/nsru/restore-mynvram.sh.bak

Saved 2 NVRAM variable(s)
Run /tmp/mnt/AC88U/nsru/restore-mynvram.sh to restore your saved settings
But the NVRAM-Utility is not yet updated to reflect 386 firmware changes in NVRAM variables, ...?

ok thanks a lot for all the inputs. I removed the openssh-sftp-server and will test winscp this evening. Thanks a lot again !

I connected the RT-AX86U behind a RT-AC86U which is running Skynet and Diversion and, after determining the correct IP address to watch with Skynet, restarted the AX86U a couple of times just to find out what it attempted to connect to. Turns out it calls home: routerahs.asus.com

It's not "calling home", it's simply checking for the presence of new security signatures, and downloading them if there are any.

I don't really have a problem with temperatures on my RT-AC86U but had an old pair of USB fans knocking about so cable tied them on the back pulling air out, temps as below now.
It's a simple inexpensive mod or free in my case if you have the bits laying around...

Before
1612429654807.png

After
1612429672216.png

I've seen it spoken of in the context of the AC88U, but I've never seen its availability on my router. I read that it's an AX capability only. But then I read that AC routers can combine two 80 channels to achieve a 160 channel. Who knows? At that point, the conversation leaves my ability to understand.
AFAIK 160MHz isn't available on the AC88U anyway

It was. I used it before...

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I can't find the Ookla speedtest in the new gui on 386.1?!?
It is in adaptive qos -> internet speed. But it does not work for me, it says: "This function is temporarily disabled due to Internet disconnection."

Clean install on AC68U - no issues with that, but for some reason I cannot see the connected users under guest network on the network tab - just got the "No data in this table". I can see them though under the wireless log.
Am I doing something wrong or is there any interference with the scripts that I am using? * Diversion, Skynet, Unbound, FlexQoS, Connmon, SPDMerlin, ScMerlin,YazFi.

After update to 386.1

Enable SSH "Lan and Wan" does not stick after Saving.

Also "Enable Web Access from Wan" does not stick after saving.

Is this a know issue?
Untitled.png

It is in adaptive qos -> internet speed. But it does not work for me, it says: "This function is temporarily disabled due to Internet disconnection."
It activated for me after some hours. Maybe you have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!