What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
upgrade to 386.1_2 for my rt-ac88u (router) & rt-ax86u (node). Recently bought ax86u so just want to try as node 1st (replaced rt-ac68u). No issue during firmware upgrade. Both routers reset to default factory after upgrade. However I noticed at times, all devices will connect or switch to my main router instead of node even though those devices near to node (even my smart tv located right beside node). Tried enable roaming assistance but still the same. As of now, I had to force some devices to connect to node. Appreciate any solution for this.

AC66U_B1, since 384.19 and now 386.1_2 the web interfact to the router runs incredibly slow of often won't resolve. I've rebooted of course and tried from muliple devices, laptop, android 11 phone etc... The router is working, speeds are good and everything as you'd expect expect the web interface is basically unable to be access the majority of the time.

Anyone experienced this? Any solutuons? Thank
I have the same model and I have no problems. I restored the system settings before 5-6 firmware versions

I have the same model and I have no problems. I restored the system settings before 5-6 firmware versions
Thanks for the responce. Ok so I need to reset it I guess to get control back or do anything, I can't see any other option but loathed to do that without making a note of all the settings.

I noticed, ASUS restoration tool when it reaches 98% the router collapses and the ethernet port restarts, as i see windows says its discconected. than the router restarts itself and enter recovery mode again by itself...

any other way to force flash fimrware?

I had better luck with this recovering directly on the router from browser at 192.168.1.1 than the recovery tools

1613315031021.png

Last edited:
Hi all. The earliest ones I've seen are 384.19 > 386.1 at the beginning of this thread, and subsequently 386.1 >> 386.1_2 or 384.19 > 386.1_2.

I'm on 384.17. Do I need to flash every version? Should I do a factory reset before dirty flashing? I used to be much more trigger happy flashing the latest and greatest but have become very very risk averse!
Hi Ray, I updated from 384.17 to 386.1. No need to flash each intermediate firmware. Below is a post where I describe how I did mine.

Bill

Reactions: ray
I had better luck with this recovering directly on the router from browser at 192.168.1.1 than the recovery tools

View attachment 30746
omg yes !! thats the answer!! :eek::eek::eek:

one thing to be clear, U MUST ENTER THE GATEWAY ---> 192.168.1.1 in windows connection settings.
then go to browser and enter 192.168.1.1

I cleared the NVRAM. than flashed with recent Merlin firmware

I am back...

EDIT: also for source i used

go to flashing section
dz1Kzgw.png

Hi Ray, I updated from 384.17 to 386.1. No need to flash each intermediate firmware. Below is a post where I describe how I did mine.

Bill

@ray Just to add .... You will need to do a fresh setup though once flashing 386.1 as, starting with 384.19, the router credentials are encrypted. If you do a dirty flash, you will loose access to the router.

one thing to be clear, U MUST ENTER THE GATEWAY ---> 192.168.1.1 in windows connection settings.

I am back...

go to flashing section
dz1Kzgw.png

Good news!

i dont understand... you mean i download the tool via edge browser?
One other tip with the restoration tool. In my case, Windows 10, multiple LAN adapters (some virtual). I have to disable all but the one LAN adapter I'm using for the restoration tool/firmware in order for it to find the Router. Might work for you...

What are your values for nvram at 386.1_2?
RT-AC68U, NVRAM usage: 64414/65536 bytes
Is this normal?

One other tip with the restoration tool. In my case, Windows 10, multiple LAN adapters (some virtual). I have to disable all but the one LAN adapter I'm using for the restoration tool/firmware in order for it to find the Router. Might work for you...
that is true, i also read somewhere its good for gaming low latency

so i have disabled them all in device manager
lOjYyTS.png

I am back...

go to flashing section
dz1Kzgw.png
That's more like it!!!

well,,,I am pretty stable at 386.1 ....all I need is the stable AiMesh main Router AC86U with node AC86U ,,no special port forwarding, nor VPN,,,been weeks stablized...not sure I should be upgrading/flashing to 386.1_2....kinda worried of destablizing my AiMesh node 386.1 :) LoL...I will wait!! maybe 386.2

I used to be much more trigger happy flashing the latest and greatest but have become very very risk averse!
with interweb connectivity being basically essential to functioning under current circumstances as we build a new normal, I applaud your caution and conservatism.
I've always waited for @RMerlin to post a Master release rather than messing with alphas and betas - this basically ensures the majority of the worst bugs have been tweaked and anything else is a highly specific use-case issue that the majority of users won't run into.

Anyway, if unable to log in, one can try a different browser. You just never know.

Edit: all of brave, waterfox classic, epiphany (even tho logged in), or pale moon would not complete flashing the firmware even tho one or two would begin the process and then just hang, right after completing the upload of the update file, seemingly forever.

The problem in palemoon disappeared after completely clearing the cookies. Flushing the cache was insufficient.
I've never had an issue with using brave to flash my ac86. just unmount any USB, flash, wait for the reboot and GO!
which host os/platform are you using? I'm *buntu on an old intel atom

Quick 5 minute 386.1 to 386.1_2 on AX88u and 2xAC5300. Other than on one of the AC5300 5GHz-1 came up with 20Mhz of of bandwidth, which a simple on/off of that radio from the GUI resolved.
No issues, running solid...

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.1 Final to V386.1_2 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.1_2 Final into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.

Upgraded from 386.1 (final) to 386.1_2.

Although devices were listed in the Network Map I could not ping them until I rebooted the router (AC86u) one more time.

Hi, the upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1 on RT-AC5300 Missing Game Mode. In the new version 386.1_2 still Missing Game Mode on RT-AC5300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!