What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you disable that trend stuff thing?
I see DCD crashes too, but everything still works for me? What are the effects of DCD crashing?
Go to Administration >> Privacy tab. DCD crashes cause temporary slowdown in router while process(es) restart.

How do you disable that trend stuff thing?
I see DCD crashes too, but everything still works for me? What are the effects of DCD crashing?
1697723576965.png

Does CakeQos work even with Trend Micro's EULA consent revoked and the AiProtection engine disabled?

Hi All,
I have an RT-AC88U which Ive recently flashed with with merlin 386.12.
It been running for a couple of days, but I am unable see the 5Ghz wifi, no matter what channel or bandwidth i select.
Also after some time (say a few hours) my wired connection drop from the usuall 600mbps download to 90 - 100 mbs, a reboot of the router usually sorts it for a short time

Should I roll back to 386.11 which was working fine and was able to access 5Ghz wifi and no issues with the internet speed dropping

Last edited:
Simplest way of doing that is to writhdraw your consent to the EULA. That will not only disable all related features, but also unload the Trend Micro engine.

It`s now night time in Taiwan so I don't expect any update from them for a while. Before heading off for the night the engineer with whom I talked did notice something on their end, and he'll have to talk to the team responsible for it when he goes back to the office the next day, to see if it might be related.

If tomorrow they don't have a solution yet, I will post a "plan B" workaround.
Would rolling back to the previous firmware solve this without totally shutting down Trend Micro? If the withdrawal process is used, how much bother to turn it back on? Seems that the router is open to the 'land of bad things' without the Aiprotect services??

Would rolling back to the previous firmware solve this without totally shutting down Trend Micro?
No. Asus confirmed that the issue also occurs even with older firmware versions.

Would rolling back to the previous firmware solve this without totally shutting down Trend Micro? If the withdrawal process is used, how much bother to turn it back on? Seems that the router is open to the 'land of bad things' without the Aiprotect services??
Simply re-enable via AiProtect tab, and you'll be prompted to reaccept the EULA.

Seems that the router is open to the 'land of bad things' without the Aiprotect services??

Not really. Your browser's Safe Browsing engine is more effective than AiProtection and blocks malicious content faster. You have to disable Safe Browsing to trigger eventual AiProtection response. AiProtection can't see anything encrypted, only URLs. Your browser can.

No. Asus confirmed that the issue also occurs even with older firmware versions.

I wonder what they broke if reverting the signature file to the previous didn't fix it. I reverted mine to 2.372, which worked fine before the update to 2.376 and DCD is still crashing like you stated. Did it also do a component update?

Did it also do a component update?
No. The issue lies elsewhere, and at this point I have no idea where that is. That will have to be investigated by both Asus and Trend Micro.

Routers:
RT-AC5300
RT-AC68U (connected by AIMesh)

I have my routers automatically reboot every morning at 4am but since upgrading to 386.12, when my devices reconnect after my router reboots, they are now connecting to 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz? I have both bands saved on my phone for example but it always connected to the 5GHz band first in the past prior to 386.12. How do I fix this so it doesn't connect to the 2.4GHz band first. I have two separate channels with 'Enable Smart Connect,' is turned off.

Not really. Your browser's Safe Browsing engine is more effective than AiProtection and blocks malicious content faster. You have to disable Safe Browsing to trigger eventual AiProtection response. AiProtection can't see anything encrypted, only URLs. Your browser can.
That's a really nice way of saying AiProtection is basically garbage.

That's a really nice way of saying AiProtection is basically garbage.

Let's say the marketing around it doesn't mention some details. This engine is light router optimized, works on many router models under different names (AiProtection, HomeCare, HomeShield, etc.), but not really IDS/IPS on this hardware and doesn't see much being located in the middle of the traffic. End-to-end encrypted traffic just goes through. Not a garbage, but has limitations. Suricata on my pfSense appliance also can't see encrypted traffic unless I run some SSL proxy. They both can do URL filtering and stop the obvious unencrypted for devices with less own protection, but almost everything with a browser nowadays runs some sort of Safe Browsing. A router without TrendMicro is not less secure. The major security risk is the user.

If it crashes and makes the router unstable - disable it and wait for a fix. Not critical. When Asus/TrendMicro fix it - re-enable and test again. May be good to have, but the router without it is not "open to bad things".

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have an RT-AC88U which Ive recently flashed with with merlin 386.12.
It been running for a couple of days, but I am unable see the 5Ghz wifi, no matter what channel or bandwidth i select.
Also after some time (say a few hours) my wired connection drop from the usuall 600mbps download to 90 - 100 mbs, a reboot of the router usually sorts it for a short time

Should I roll back to 386.11 which was working fine and was able to access 5Ghz wifi and no issues with the internet speed dropping
So I rolled back to 386.11 and I am now able to see the 5GHz wifi - internet is also stable.
As a test I installed the 386.12_beta1 and I was able to connect to the 5GHz wifi but the speed was very slow some 140 - 200 Mbs when copying files from a NAS on the LAN
I again rolled back to 386.11 and when connecting to 5GHz wifi - im connecitng at 785Mbs and hitting speeds 500 - 550mbs when copying from the NAS.
Is this an issue with my AC88U or a bug in the 386.12 firmware?

Tried withdrawing consent, rebooting, then only enabling bandwidth stats, but the issue came back within an hour.

Seems the signature update also included some config change or file update, reverting wouldn't fix that as the previous signature wouldn't tell it to undo the changes (as it didn't know about them) so have to wait for them to release a signature with a fix for whatever they broke.

then only enabling bandwidth stats, but the issue came back within an hour.
That`s because bandwidth stats uses the bwdpi engine to identify traffic type, so that just reverts back to enabling the engine again.

Seems the signature update also included some config change or file update
The issue is unrelated to the signature update.

Is there an alternative way to limit device bandwidth until this issue is resolved? I'd like to disable the Trend service but need bandwidth limiter.

TIA.

Use (if you can find) a 10 or 10/100MbE switch if on a wired connection. Or, at the end of that switch, connect an AP for WiFi.

Is there an alternative way to limit device bandwidth until this issue is resolved? I'd like to disable the Trend service but need bandwidth limiter.

TIA.
Bandwidth Limiter does not use the bwdpi engine, Bandwidth Monitoring (with apps analysis enabled) and Traffic Analyzer do.

Bandwidth Limiter does not use the bwdpi engine, Bandwidth Monitoring (with apps analysis enabled) and Traffic Analyzer do.
Thanks, I assumed it was all linked. I should have checked first, apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!