What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the expected default wifi password on recent firmware/models.
This is incorrect. The default password along with other core default values is stored in a separate part of flash memory. It is independent of the firmware version that's installed. From what I can see this default psk only seems to be present on a couple of very old models, possibly one's that have been modified by installing DD-WRT (but that's just speculation).

From what I can see this default psk only seems to be present on a couple of very old models, possibly one's that have been modified by installing DD-WRT (but that's just speculation).
Also, it is interesting that the password (in my case) shows up as default only on 386.12, while on 386.11 the network is open after reset.

Anyone else seeing constant crashing of the DCD process since updating Trend Micro signature to 2.376? All the AC routers(2x RT-AC88U and 4x RT-AC68U) are showing this process constantly crashing since they auto updated today. None of the AX routers auto updated yet, so they are still on 2.372 but I'm wondering if they will be affected once they update,

Anyone else seeing constant crashing of the DCD process since updating Trend Micro signature to 2.376? All the AC routers(2x RT-AC88U and 4x RT-AC68U) are showing this process constantly crashing since they auto updated today. None of the AX routers auto updated yet, so they are still on 2.372 but I'm wondering if they will be affected once they update,
Did you try rebooting your router?

Nevermind, it will crash once again after a while (dcd does not immediately trigger).

We'll have to hope that this is something Asus can quickly address on their end.

Last edited:
With this being the second issue just in recent memory, there are times I wonder on the testing that Asus do (or don't do) before they release these in to the wild.

Yes you can just turn off the Trend Micro features but given it's part of the Asus sales pitch on every router page they have it's not the best look (setting aside that "Commercial-grade security" is over-egging it!)

With this being the second issue just in recent memory, there are times I wonder on the testing that Asus do (or don't do) before they release these in to the wild.
This one seems to be specific to Asuswrt-Merlin as they couldn't reproduce it with the stock firmware based on the same GPL. There is a difference that I'm aware of related to the signing certificate used by the signatures for Asuswrt-Merlin, there might be a link there. We will have to wait for them to come with a solution. Until then, the only workaround is to temporarily withdraw the Trend Micro EULA consent to disable its engine.

Thanks for verifying that the issue is not isolated to my setups. Thankfully it only seems to be isolated to AC routers as the AX ones updated to 2.376 and none of them are seeing the same DCD crashes. I guess I'll disable TM for the time being until a new signature is available

I'm not sure if it helps, but...
I've renamed /tmp/bwdpi to /tmp/bwdpi.old and then restarted the router. The uptime is now about 15 minutes, some dcd processes are running but there are no crashes...

I'm not sure if it helps, but...
I've renamed /tmp/bwdpi to /tmp/bwdpi.old and then restarted the router. The uptime is now about 15 minutes, some dcd processes are running but there are no crashes...
came here for this... wondering if the solution stuck

This won't do anything. The contents of /tmp are stored in memory so everything there is lost when you reboot the router. So the only change you made was to reboot the router.
You're right... :(
But now it waited about an hour after reboot.
Previously it crashed after 2-5 minutes...

Will turning off all the trend micro stuff and rebooting solve the issue till they push a new update?

Will turning off all the trend micro stuff and rebooting solve the issue till they push a new update?
Simplest way of doing that is to writhdraw your consent to the EULA. That will not only disable all related features, but also unload the Trend Micro engine.

It`s now night time in Taiwan so I don't expect any update from them for a while. Before heading off for the night the engineer with whom I talked did notice something on their end, and he'll have to talk to the team responsible for it when he goes back to the office the next day, to see if it might be related.

If tomorrow they don't have a solution yet, I will post a "plan B" workaround.

This one seems to be specific to Asuswrt-Merlin as they couldn't reproduce it with the stock firmware based on the same GPL. There is a difference that I'm aware of related to the signing certificate used by the signatures for Asuswrt-Merlin, there might be a link there. We will have to wait for them to come with a solution. Until then, the only workaround is to temporarily withdraw the Trend Micro EULA consent to disable its engine.
I remember you talking about the signing difference during the last round though I'll need to dig back through past posts for the reason.

To be fair to the router and firmware though, this release has been extremely stable with the asd and networkmap memory leaks fixed - and even the dcd restarts hasn't really slowed the router down.

I should probably chalk my earlier post up to a bad day at work!

Asus were able to reproduce the issue with the stock firmware as well. For now they are reverting the signature to 2.372 pending further investigation.

Note that the downgraded signature will take a few hours to fully propagate to all servers. Once they do, if you remove the existing signature (rm /jffs/signature/rule.trf) and reboot your router, it should download 2.372 after a few mins. If it still downloads 2.376, then the sigs are probably not fully propagated yet. In my case, 2.372 seem to be available now.

It seems that the issue goes beyond the signature file, Asus has been reproducing the issue even with older signature files now. So for now, best is to keep the Trend Micro engine disabled until the issue can be resolved either by Trend Micro or by Asus.

Last edited:
Simplest way of doing that is to writhdraw your consent to the EULA. That will not only disable all related features, but also unload the Trend Micro engine.

It`s now night time in Taiwan so I don't expect any update from them for a while. Before heading off for the night the engineer with whom I talked did notice something on their end, and he'll have to talk to the team responsible for it when he goes back to the office the next day, to see if it might be related.

If tomorrow they don't have a solution yet, I will post a "plan B" workaround.
ooo this kills traffic analyzer too? I actually use that lol 🤣

Last edited:
How do you disable that trend stuff thing?
I see DCD crashes too, but everything still works for me? What are the effects of DCD crashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!