What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have frequent asd/dcd errors, and micro-crashes with 386.12_4 on AC86u every few hours. So as an experiment, I disabled all of Trend Micro stuff by revoking the license. And of course, all the errors stopped right there. No issues of any kind. Re-enabled the bulk of TM things today (except for DPI - traffic analyzer) - back to the dcd/asd errors and micro-crashes.

The situation reminds me of this post here:

I now wonder which version of TM engine is built into 386 releases. Is it stock 386 TM code? Nothing is borrowed from 388?

For those wondering, here are a couple of scripts for TM on/off (I diffed nvram dump before and after TM license revocation). I guess need to reboot after these scripts.

tm_on
Code:
nvram set bwdpi_db_enable=1
nvram set wrs_app_enable=1
nvram set wrs_enable=1
nvram set wrs_protect_enable=1
nvram set TM_EULA=1
nvram commit

tm_off
Code:
nvram set bwdpi_db_enable=0
nvram set wrs_app_enable=0
nvram set wrs_enable=0
nvram set wrs_protect_enable=0
nvram set TM_EULA=0
nvram commit

Setting everything to on but keeping DPI off [bwdpi_db_enable=0] did not help with dcd/asd crashes, still happening.

Have you got the correct thread?

They don't call those Trash-80's for nothing.
I can't believe anyone would use that always failing piece of **** for a handle name.
I lost many a term paper and backups to that POS. It was a system wide problem that students had to endure.

Have you got the correct thread?
No I don't lol. It was late, I was buzzed. Although I did dirty flash to my AC2900 and it's working fine, so there's that.

Last edited:
They don't call those Trash-80's for nothing.
I can't believe anyone would use that always failing piece of **** for a handle name.
I lost many a term paper and backups to that POS. It was a system wide problem that students had to endure.

I know it was a piece of shirt. It was my first computer, hence the choice for a username. I had my most fun on a 64C.

When I go to use my Apple TV for the first time after it’s been in standby for a bit, (I don’t know how much downtime it takes for the prob to manifest exactly), the Apple TV is now all of a sudden getting assigned a random IP address. — But it has a reserved IP address on the router, which has never given me any issues.

I tried entering the correct ip address on the Apple TV device manually, but this does not resolve the issue. (The device is usually set to AUTO dhcp — the ip address is reserved on the router using the Apple tv’s MAC address.)

The problem is not resolved by rebooting the AppleTV, nor is it resolved by restarting various services (DNS/DHCP, VPN, Entware) using SC Merlin. It is however resolved by rebooting the router.

I have never experienced this issue before. It started sometime in the days following update to 386.12_4 (though I don’t *think* it was an immediate development but rather one that only closely followed the update. Maybe a coincidence?)

The Apple TV is connected to the router by Ethernet cable . I swapped the LAN jack that it plugs into — issue still came up. There have been no updates to TVos during this period.

It does not happen every time.

Any thoughts?

RT-AC86u

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I keep getting these on my AC5300 with AIMesh on AX88U node:
Dec 8 22:45:08 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(511): eth1: Disassoc 44:61:32:B6:2A:BF, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: dcd/1988: potentially unexpected fatal signal 11.
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: Pid: 1988, comm: dcd
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: CPU: 0 Tainted: P (2.6.36.4brcmarm #1)
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: PC is at 0x2ae11444
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: LR is at 0x1c310
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: pc : [<2ae11444>] lr : [<0001c310>] psr: 20000010
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: sp : 7eda5a00 ip : 000a26b4 fp : 7eda5b64
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: r10: 00086a00 r9 : 0000dafc r8 : 00000068
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: r7 : 00086a00 r6 : 00000000 r5 : 7eda5cb4 r4 : 00000000
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: r3 : 00000000 r2 : 00000000 r1 : 00086a00 r0 : 00000000
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: Flags: nzCv IRQs on FIQs on Mode USER_32 ISA ARM Segment user
Dec 8 22:46:15 kernel: Control: 10c53c7d Table: 53a2804a DAC: 00000015

Last edited:
When I go to use my Apple TV for the first time after it’s been in standby for a bit, (I don’t know how much downtime it takes for the prob to manifest exactly), the Apple TV is now all of a sudden getting assigned a random IP address. — But it has a reserved IP address on the router, which has never given me any issues.

I tried entering the correct ip address on the Apple TV device manually, but this does not resolve the issue. (The device is usually set to AUTO dhcp — the ip address is reserved on the router using the Apple tv’s MAC address.)

The problem is not resolved by rebooting the AppleTV, nor is it resolved by restarting various services (DNS/DHCP, VPN, Entware) using SC Merlin. It is however resolved by rebooting the router.

I have never experienced this issue before. It started sometime in the days following update to 386.12_4 (though I don’t *think* it was an immediate development but rather one that only closely followed the update. Maybe a coincidence?)

The Apple TV is connected to the router by Ethernet cable . I swapped the LAN jack that it plugs into — issue still came up. There have been no updates to TVos during this period.

It does not happen every time.

Any thoughts?

RT-AC86u

Thanks!!

Manual DHCP assignment is handled by recognizing the MAC address of the device that you want to have a custom IP address. Many new devices now have a feature that sends a random MAC addrress to the wifi router to limit tracking. This feature is typically enabled by default. Your Apple TV is probably set to provide a random MAC address to the router. The setting can be found in the network settings section of your Apple TV.

I disabled the firewall to avoid those crashes for now.
Disabling the firewall on the main router is usually a very, very bad idea for a whole host of reasons.

Guess I'll be the one to ask. Why are you not using the RT-AX88U as the primary router and the AC5300 as an AIMesh node:

Finally got around to updating to _4.. noted no dcd crashes.. 1 single asd crash shortly after boot... keeping an eye on the log.. bandwith seems normal and unaffected by that one crash..

I re-enabled traffic monitor [as I used it regularly before the dcd issue] - did NOT enable other trend micro things. rt_ac3100

I re-enabled traffic monitor [as I used it regularly before the dcd issue] - did NOT enable other trend micro things. rt_ac3100

Traffic Monitor was never part of TrendMicro engine firmware options. Traffic Analyzer is using TrendMicro engine.

Would it be any difference if I swap?
You should really give it a try.

Asus has declared the AC machine to be at end of support from them IIRC.

This isn't catastrophic: your AX router is a significantly more capable machine than your AC router, which still has useful life:
I'm certain you'll notice at least a slight upgrade to your mesh network by reversing their roles, and another if you de-mesh and use the AC machine as an AP rather than a node.
Further, it'll harden the security of your network now and moving forward, as your model of AC router will stop receiving (Merlin) updates sooner than the AX.

Depending on your home (or wherever you use these pieces), you might not even need the AC router. There are users here who have found that the AX models easily have more impressive range/coverage from their radios.

Would it be any difference if I swap?
heysoundude's reply pretty much nailed it. You really should swap around the routers and see if you even need the AC5300 as a node or access point. Some have indicated getting better WiFi coverage with AX series router(s) than the older AC series router(s). The AX88U supports WPA3 for those WiFi clients that support it. Potentially up to double the maximum Wifi speed for those WiFi clients that support it. And the AX88U may have other newer firmware features not found on the AC5300.

What's the point of enabling the firewall if it constantly crashes? =)

Because other things you don't know about yet may start working all of a sudden. 🥷

Reactions: Gar
Well after running stock 51668 on 2 nodes its seems that 12_4 is more stable despite being based on the same merge, Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!