What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, it has been discovered that the WIFI clients on Guest 2 are not isolated from the LAN clients and may pose a security risk. I feel it is better to use Guest 1.
Guest 2 works as intended, it is isolated provided intranet access is disabled. To test if it works, connect a client to guest 2 then try to access any client in the LAN or try to print in a printer connected to the main router, it will not let you.

Last edited:
I have been using 3 AC68U routers with the latest merlin firmware ( I use aimesh 386.1_2)
So I started updating the firmware to 386.2
First update went to mesh node nr1, which is wireless. Firmware updated ok.
Second I updated mesh node nr2, which is backhauled by ethernet. This node fails to update. Tried a few times, rebooted, same result: fails to update.
Third updated the main router. Updated fine.

Tried to update mesh node nr2 several times after that and each time it just fails to update.
I get the login screen , put user/pw in, then select update file and it say uploading 0%, this takes a while and it switches back to the screen that has the uploads button on it and nothing happens.
I tried the following things:
removed node and reset the node by pressing reboot button for a while, re-pair the node, then upgrade. fail
removed node and reset the node by pressing pws butotn for a while, re-pair node, then upgrade. fail.
Put node in wireless mode only (disconnected backhaul ethernet cable), upgrade fails.
I used chrome browser and also tried on edge browser. Made no difference.

I know I can upgrade it by resetting it and connecting it directly to my laptop and upgrade the firmware, but why does it not upgrade while in regular use as a node ??? And the other does upgraded just fine.?
Any tips appreciated.

What Channel is your 5Ghz on? Is it auto? I had a similar issue with 5 Amazon devices that would not connect on the dfs ranges when the auto chose 100. 36-44 & 144 up were fine. 100 without 160mhz also did not fix it. 149 works fine
Hi, on 386.1_2 5ghz auto works well.
During TSing of the client connect issue on 386.2 i did hardcode both the top and then the lower end channels both with 20/40/80 & 20/40/80/160 enabled. In all cases the ticbox for DFS was left off.

But thank you, those are valid steps indeed.

I will say that for the Honeywell thermostat and 1 (of 4) Roku clients that would not connect, when i viewed available SSID's neither saw my 2.4ghz or 5ghz SSID's. Guest or othwerwise.
That made me feel it could be a channel issuebut the gui said they were on non-DFS. Not to mention my older clients connected fine.
A puzzle to be sure.

The only suggestion i have not attempted yet but will nest time is the reduce TX power to balanced.

Thank you

Each radio band, 2.4 and 5 GHz, has three possible Guest networks. Left to right they are called Guest 1, 2 and 3. They do not have to be use in order. In the 386 codebase the left most Guest network for each band has the ability to sync to AiMesh nodes to enable each node to have the same Guest WIFI. Without getting into the nuts and bolts of how this works I can confirm that it works well on Asus factory firmware and Merlin Firmware.
However, reports are that you can get some odd "error" messages in the log. The Guest 1 network still works and is secure. Ignore the log if it bothers you.
Also, it has been discovered that the WIFI clients on Guest 2 are not isolated from the LAN clients and may pose a security risk. I feel it is better to use Guest 1.
Thanks for explaining, but i dont use any Guess Network
1617554507323.png

Just a small thing. When doing a Wifi scan it interrupts streaming. I can understand why but should it?

I can't access the main page of my router after updated. I did clear cache and tried on different devices

Depending on how long it has been since you last updated the firmware, it might be doing some maintenance in the background. This can take some time. Just wait patiently and try to access the UI later.

Hi @RMerlin - I just tried to turn off download shaping in Cake by setting the bandwidth value to zero ( 0 ). Unfortunately the field validation doesn't allow this despite the error message saying that 0 is a valid entry.

I have been using 3 AC68U routers with the latest merlin firmware ( I use aimesh 386.1_2)
So I started updating the firmware to 386.2
First update went to mesh node nr1, which is wireless. Firmware updated ok.
Second I updated mesh node nr2, which is backhauled by ethernet. This node fails to update. Tried a few times, rebooted, same result: fails to update.
Third updated the main router. Updated fine.

Tried to update mesh node nr2 several times after that and each time it just fails to update.
I get the login screen , put user/pw in, then select update file and it say uploading 0%, this takes a while and it switches back to the screen that has the uploads button on it and nothing happens.
I tried the following things:
removed node and reset the node by pressing reboot button for a while, re-pair the node, then upgrade. fail
removed node and reset the node by pressing pws butotn for a while, re-pair node, then upgrade. fail.
Put node in wireless mode only (disconnected backhaul ethernet cable), upgrade fails.
I used chrome browser and also tried on edge browser. Made no difference.

I know I can upgrade it by resetting it and connecting it directly to my laptop and upgrade the firmware, but why does it not upgrade while in regular use as a node ??? And the other does upgraded just fine.?
Any tips appreciated.
Try again with node (nr1) turned off or disconnected from th main router.

Depending on how long it has been since you last updated the firmware, it might be doing some maintenance in the background. This can take some time. Just wait patiently and try to access the UI later.

I have been waiting for a while now. Once I did manage to have the login, but then blank page.

I can't access the main page of my router after updated. I did clear cache and tried on different devices
Note this from release notes of 384 to 386? (as noted by MvW above)
NOTE: Some users upgrading might have to go through some
database maintenance on first boot, which means the
router might be slower or have a non-responsive webui
for a while.
This can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour,
depending on your model, just give it time to complete
the process.

Another issue I noticed on my setup. I can telnet into my main router's ip address no problem. But when I telnet into one of my ai mesh nodes, I get access denied after giving it id/password. Should be the same as the main router ? Or do I need to set that up first after resetting it ( after which I paird it as a node)

Another issue I noticed on my setup. I can telnet into my main router's ip address no problem. But when I telnet into one of my ai mesh nodes, I get access denied after giving it id/password. Should be the same as the main router ? Or do I need to set that up first after resetting it ( after which I paird it as a node)
if you can ssh (I am assuming you meant ssh rather than telnet) into the main router, then you should be able to ssh onto any connected AiMesh node with the same credentials, there is no need to setup anything on the node in advance. What ssh client are you using and what is the error message?

if you can ssh (I am assuming you meant ssh rather than telnet) into the main router, then you should be able to ssh onto any connected AiMesh node with the same credentials, there is no need to setup anything on the node in advance. What ssh client are you using and what is the error message?

I use putty, portnr 22

This method may be completely unsupported. Use at your own risk... it will probably brick your router, burn your toast, and make your hair fall out.
Thank you for this. I'm ok with the risk even if it kills/reincarnates/both/neither Schrödinger's cat.

Well.... lol. As I tried to login again to make a screenshot to show you, it logged me in just fine !. Does it take a while for these settings to transfer to the node from the router after setting up as a node????
Once the router and node have settled down after the initial upgrade there shouldn't be any delay, but stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!