What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you provide an example of what you set and which app so we can test it?
I have set up the non-internet hours as usual, i the AIprotection > parental control > schedule. My kid's devices are blocked from internet for the night.
Now, all those devices, while connected to wifi, report no internet access even during the day and asks for account login and the wifi icon shows a question mark.
Same setup was working just fine on the previous stable release.

Attachments

• Przechwytywanie1.JPG
    Przechwytywanie1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 183
Went from 384.11_2 to 386.2 yesterday on my AC66U_B1.

Factory reset before and after the update.

One day later, CPU1 is stuck at 100% and I got a loop of this in the log :

Apr 7 06:13:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:20:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:20:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:27:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:27:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:34:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:34:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:41:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:41:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:48:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:48:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:55:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat

Any ideas?

I will shutdown the router and see if it comes back in a day or two.

Thanks,

Brad

Dirty upgrade of all 3 units from 386.1_2 to .2 Running well for 4 days.
Thanks again all.

Went from 384.11_2 to 386.2 yesterday on my AC66U_B1.

Factory reset before and after the update.

One day later, CPU1 is stuck at 100% and I got a loop of this in the log :

Apr 7 06:13:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:20:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:20:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:27:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:27:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:34:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:34:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:41:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:41:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:48:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat
Apr 7 06:48:51 rc_service: check_watchdog 329:notify_rc restart_watchdog
Apr 7 06:55:51 check_watchdog: [check_watchdog] restart watchdog for no heartbeat

Any ideas?

I will shutdown the router and see if it comes back in a day or two.

Thanks,

Brad

Back in my RT-AC68U Days I was one of those who overclocked them a little bit. It ran fine 98% of the time, but when I had a problem, it would be this - one of the CPUs stuck at 100% (and I mean flatlined) but top wouldn't show a process, or it was one of the internal kernel processes - can't remember.

If you went to /jffs and did an ls -aR at some point the listing would freeze and that ssh session would be orphaned. I was able to get a dump of syslog and found some jffs badblock / trouble writing entries and it all started to make sense.

TL;DR - Make sure you are not over clocking (not sure if you can do that with an AC66U B1). Check your syslog for jffs badblock errros. Perhaps a format JFFS at next reboot is your next step (again - assuming your factory reset also included the jffs format and INIT). If/when it happens again ssh to /jffs and do a ls -laR and if it freeze while listing the structure then you have bad flash.

I don't think this is related to 386.2 but glad you modernized.

Last edited:
I was hoping something about Apple IP services would be in the Fixed list. Am I the only one having trouble with using Home Sharing/My Computer on an Apple TV with Asus gear. Stopped working since I replaced the A Merlin RT-AC68 on ancient code with a Merlin RT-AX88d. My Apple TV can't see my desktop most of the time. All the firewall holes are open locally.

Back in my RT-AC68U Days I was one of those who overclocked them a little bit. It ran fine 98% of the time, but when I had a problem, it would be this - one of the CPUs stuck at 100% (and I mean flatlined) but top wouldn't show a process, or it was one of the internal kernel processes - can't remember.

If you went to /jffs and did an ls -aR at some point the listing would freeze and that ssh session would be orphaned. I was able to get a dump of syslog and found some jffs badblock / trouble writing entries and it all started to make sense.

TL;DR - Make sure you are not over clocking (not sure if you can do that with an AC66U B1). Check your syslog for jffs badblock errros. Perhaps a format JFFS at next reboot is your next step (again - assuming your factory reset also included the jffs format and INIT). If/when it happens again ssh to /jffs and do a ls -laR and if it freeze while listing the structure then you have bad flash.

I don't think this is related to 386.2 but glad you modernized.
Hi,

thank you for the advices!

It is not overclocked. I will try the command next time it happens, but for now it listed without freezing.

I thought factory default and upgrading the firmware did a format of /jffs , so I did not ask for it at next reboot.

Can someone confirm that unless asked at next reboot, the /jffs is not formatted?

In that case, could I backup /jffs to file via the administration page, format at next reboot and restore?

Thanks!

Brad

Hi, last weekend I installed 386.2 from stock firmware. I have a router and one AiMesh node, both RT-AC66U B1. I restored them to factory default after the firmware upgrade and configured from scratch.

Everything seems to be working fine, but since yesterday it started having these entries in the log:

Apr 7 13:00:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:00:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:01:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:02:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:03:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:04:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:05:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:06:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:07:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:08:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:09:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:10:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:11:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:12:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:13:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

Anything I should worry about?

Hi, last weekend I installed 386.2 from stock firmware. I have a router and one AiMesh node, both RT-AC66U B1. I restored them to factory default after the firmware upgrade and configured from scratch.

Everything seems to be working fine, but since yesterday it started having these entries in the log:

Apr 7 13:00:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:00:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:01:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:02:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:03:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:04:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:05:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:06:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:07:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:08:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:09:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:10:26 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:11:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:12:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Apr 7 13:13:23 dnsmasq-dhcp[24060]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

Anything I should worry about?
No DHCP IP lease available? Uhmmm is there any device failed to obtain DHCP IP? hmmm I would be concerned if seeing these type of logs!

You’re probably running out of RAM at some point, as the /var file system is stored in memory on the router. Check the free command and df command on the router in an ssh session.
I've turned Traffic Analyzer off and Free RAM went from 32MB to ~100MB. The log entries stopped, so I'll keep monitoring for a few days

Anyone having trouble with mesh nodes? My router wifi (2 and 5ghz) has an uptime of 3 days and the 5 ghz on the node also 3 days uptime but the 2.4 on the node has dropped.
1617832601024.png

I have set up the non-internet hours as usual
If you haven't tryed it yet, I would delete the specific rules/timings, disable that protection, and then reenable and recreate the rules.
Good luck
Best regards
W.

I did a dirty upgrade from 386.1_2 last Friday (had also unmounted my USB drive prior upgrading) but after a successful reboot, I had noticed that the unbound GUI tab was missing from Addons (even if nothing out of order could be see from the unbound Manager/Installation script), that it was also no longer listed from scMerlin's WebUI Addons list and that the "Help & Support" was also no longer responding, which was caused by the issue with unbound.

This only issue have been finally resolved today after @juched pushed v1.4.1 and ran the sgui command from unbound Manager.

Thanks Merlin and all associated coders

Manage to go from 384.17 to 386.2 without a hitch on RT-AC86U with a clean flash.

Cake > WAN Packet Overhead:
Does anyone know which to use for fiber (Verizon Fios)?

2.4ghz:
I've had the dreaded 2.4ghz problem for a while: Full bars, can see MAC address for 2.4ghz, using 20mhz, have set a fixed channel, done the factory reset, even tried 384.3 because I read that worked for someone... I've ignored it but hoped 386.2 might miraculously get it working :(

Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:
Try to rename your DNS name, register your new one and revert back to your original DNS name. That worked for me.
Thanks. My issue was because I'd stupidly tried to load the firmware for the wrong model. d0h! I'm really glad losing DDNS was the worst of what resulted. After downloading and upgrading to aX88u instead of aC88u everything worked quite perfectly.

My problem was that it's impossible to stupid-proof firmware upgrades from imbeciles who try to flash the wrong model. I failed miserably.

@RMerlin The GT-AX11000 being a new router does it support Hardware Acceleration if it does is their something I need to do to enable it? I've seen mentioned on the broadcom side it should?
HW.png

I haven't used it in a long time, so maybe this is not related to this is release, but is the Wi-Fi Radar working properly for any else? The 2.4 Ghz band seems to be displaying fine, but when I set the 5Gz to Channel 36 and hit "Start Data Collection" on the configure tab, the Site Survey gets populated with surrounding networks upto channel 100. The rest stays empty. If I change the channel for the 5 Ghz band to 100, the networks at lower frequencies aren't showing anymore, nor are there any other networks showing in higher rangers except my own, which is display as one arch (instead of two, as I have an AIMesh Node with both bands enabled).

When changing things back to Channel 36, the display stays the same. The channel changes only the graph keeps showing only 1 arch with the 5Ghz band from my main router. Only restarting the router will cause the graph to be corrected and repopulated again, but only if I choose a channel below 100. Even though channels 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, 136 and 140 are available to in my country, if I set one of these as control channel, nothing is displayed anymore, the graphs for 5 Ghz stay empty. I tried stopping and re-starting data collection but nothing seems to help except a reboot.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Or was it already broken?

@RMerlin The GT-AX11000 being a new router does it support Hardware Acceleration if it does is their something I need to do to enable it? I've seen mentioned on the broadcom side it should? View attachment 32929
Are you using CakeQoS? In that case you should read the first post.

Just got a GT-AX11000 so thought I would try out the merlin build, just noticed in the log:

Apr 6 22:39:14 kernel: cfg80211: Exceeded CRDA call max attempts. Not calling CRDA

Should CRDA be installed as it doesn't seem to be. I am in Europe and all the main channels seem to be there but a few channels which only the UK has approved for wifi do seem to be missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!