What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade from 386.2 to 386.2_2 on my RT-AC88U. The test at https://ipv6-test.com/https://ipv6-test.com/ is now passing the “firewall” test again. Thanks.

edit:

I found a problem. The /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script I have which adds 2 iptables rules ran too soon after the update. The rules got clobbered. I’m pretty sure they were added on the 386.2 update.

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade from 386.2. I am now seriously worried that we will be getting too lazy and unalert due to lack of problems :cool:
I find AsusMerlin 386.2 series to be most stable and reliable of AiMesh 2.0 and I have been through all alphas and betas as many of you.

Many thanks Eric!

Upgraded AC86U from 386.2 to 386.2_2.
After 5 minutes I'm not getting the login page - I'll try again later to see if there's some behind the scenes going on - that is solved by then :)

386.2_2 is now available. This is a minor update addressing a few issues with IPv6 firewalling and webui quirks.

Code:
- FIXED: IPv6 pings were blocked if sent below the rate limit
         instead of above (issue introduced in 42095)
- FIXED: kernel debuging log entry (was removed) (RT-AC86U)
- FIXED: Field that accepted a float value would reject
         values equal to the allowed minimum (for example
         the QoS bandwidth limits)
- FIXED: QoS Bandwidth settings were hidden on
         non-HND models when accessing the QoS page.
- CHANGED: Tweaks to the Firmware Upgrade page display.
- CHANGED: Enabling DOS protection will now also rate limit
           ICMPV6 echo (type 128) packets, like with IPv4.

Dirty upgrade from 386.2 to 386.2_2 on RT-AC86U. This was the first time I was able to do a firmware load without a second reboot in a long time. This may be because I no longer had add on packages as built in Cake QOS replaced one and AI Protection is working properly. Thank you Eric for your wonderful firmware and effort to keep it going. I realize the AI Protection is Trend Micro and they deserve some credit as well.

Morris

Ps. Looking at the log, the router detected that 386.2_2 was available at 5:00am, yet when I logged on to the GUI do the firmware update, the firmware update notice was not displaying.

Last edited:
Dirty 386.2 to 386.2_2- solid result on both RT-AX86U's {ThumbsUp}.

AC2900 on 386.2_2. Decided to do some throughput testing and noticed that when i disable the 2,4 GHz band and only use 5GHz, devices do get connected to the router, yet they can't access the internet. The other way round (only use 2,4GHz) they do have internet access.

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.2 Final to V386.2_2 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.2_2 Final into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.

.2 working like a champ after a dirty upgrade!
Eric is on a ROLL!!

Dirty 386.2 to 386.2_2- solid result on both RT-AX86U's {ThumbsUp}.
wohhhhooo...already 386.2_2 ? How solid is it? I am still on AsusWRT official fw for AX86U & AC86U while observing a quiet issues of having merlinfw 386.2...so it is already 386.2_2 ...hopefully finally rock-solid/stable now!!

Do you also have AC86U as AiMesh node? My problem was the re-bufferring from AC86U being AiMesh node with 386.1 & 386.1_2 thus I flashed back to AsusWRT fw latest one for both AX86U & AC86U and relatively stable for 20 days without a reboot!

wohhhhooo...already 386.2_2 ? How solid is it? I am still on AsusWRT official fw for AX86U & AC86U while observing a quiet issues of having merlinfw 386.2...so it is already 386.2_2 ...hopefully finally rock-solid/stable now!!

Do you also have AC86U as AiMesh node? My problem was the re-bufferring from AC86U being AiMesh node with 386.1 & 386.1_2 thus I flashed back to AsusWRT fw latest one for both AX86U & AC86U and relatively stable for 20 days without a reboot!
Fortunately I have 2 x AX86U's running in AiMesh mode - and have no material issues ... even with Guest #1 on 2.4Ghz spread across the nodes.

Very nice one.
It fixed IPv6 for good, hopefully.
And mostly for a very smooth upgrade.
I had problems with the last 3 fw, needed to reset the router 2 or 3 times to get it working, not this one.
It worked right after.
Thank you very much, Sir.

RT-AC86U dirty update 386.2 to 386.2_2; discovered that the Client VPN had disconnected and it was still routing despite "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" being checked. Tested the blocking by manually turning off the Client VPN and found that it no longer stops traffic.

Dirty update from 386.2 to 386.2_2. Updated the AX86U node first. Waited ten minutes and then updated the AX88U router. Waited ten minutes and power cycled both devices. All 40 client devices came back online without having to fiddle with any of them. This includes eight IP Cameras on 2.4ghz and six Chromecast devices on 5ghz. Everything running solid for the past twenty-four hours.

Last edited:
Hmm.... I have three devices that use this SSID (I use it for my IOT stuff). I do have them in my static IP list (legacy list that I've just never changed) but the static listed there is in the standard range, not the elevated one of Guest 1. The router has historically ignored that static for the guest 1 and simply assigned a 10X address. At least on the ROG.

But... I'll be. I remove that Static and no more issue with Guest 1 with the merlin code. That is extremely interesting. It ignores it and assigns the right IP address, but it messes with the routing it looks like.

Great call!!!
Static IP address is assigned at the client.
Reserved or Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list is handled by the DHCP server. In Asus/Merlin is is DNSMASQ.

I discovered early in the AiMesh adventure that clients on Guest 1 could not have their icon changed. Just connected them to the LAN WIFI, changed the icon then moved them back to Guest 1. Not really a show stopper. The Guest 1 is "synced" to the nodes via a VLAN. I have tried to restrict the DHCP range in Guest 1 with the intent of adding another non Asus Access Point in the system got just guest access. So far my efforts have failed so I moved on to other things like lawn work. It is not important for me to have direct access to clients on the Guest 1. The apps for the Ecobee and garage door connect via a remote server and that is fine. My Dish box is on the guest because I discovered one day that the Dish help desk can remote into the box without my permission. If they can do it others can, too. I also let the router assign the IP Addresses.

Currently on 386.2.
Found Client status list is broken, would not update itself,
either clicking refresh does not do any thing.

Apr 15 09:28:25 rc_service: httpd 1304:notify_rc start_lltdc
Apr 15 09:28:45 rc_service: httpd 1304:notify_rc start_lltdc
Apr 15 09:29:51 rc_service: httpd 1304:notify_rc start_lltdc
Apr 15 09:30:56 rc_service: cfg_server 2004:notify_rc email_info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!