What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade 386.2 to 386.2_2 (last nuclear reset 384.19 to 386.1_2) - everything looking stable, no unexpected messages in logs, no complaints from family. Thank you Eric.

A dirty upgrade from 386.2 to 386.2_2 with no issues or problems at all & the ICMPv6 is back to normal again. Thanks once again Merlin. Brilliant job!

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.2 Final to V386.2_2 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.2_2 Final into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.
Just in case this would be useful to you (I've seen this suggestion in one of the threads several months ago): Can you leave the guest network #1 empty, and use #2 & #3 instead? That's what I am using (for both 2.4 and 5 GHz). I did it preemptively, and I saw no problems.

Just in case this would be useful to you (I've seen this suggestion in one of the threads several months ago): Can you leave the guest network #1 empty, and use #2 & #3 instead? That's what I am using (for both 2.4 and 5 GHz). I did it preemptively, and I saw no problems.
I could consider that, as I have been following those threads since the beginning as well, but would prefer for ASUS to fix their code, as Guest #3 has had the label on it for a while now "Default setting by Alexa/IFTTT", and I may consider using that feature in the future (waying the pros/cons/security risks), so keeping all options available for now.

I moved all my items off Guest #1 to #2 given the Guest #1 troubles noted here, but then saw Guest #2 isn’t isolated from the intranet with the 42095 code-base, so haven’t tried to upgrade from 384.19 yet as I need Guest isolation. At this point, I disabled DNSSEC and am using a trusted upstream DNS server to address the DNSpooq vulnerabilities for 384.19.

Last edited:
I think I keep sounding like a broken record...But for the life of me, I cannot upgrade my RT5300 to anything over 384.19.
I've tried every update (including betas) to 386.2.

I've done a dirty upgrade and a full hard reset and I cannot use the router.

No matter how I upgrade, the router reboots, stays online for about 1 min, and then reboots again. This happens all the time and never stops rebooting.. I need to time it perfectly to reboot the router, logon and upload 384.19 firmware. I have less than 1 min to upload it and then I can use the router/internet again.

Does anyone have any issues with RT5300?

thanks

Here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

I'm not sure you understood the question. I have done that and many times...

I am saying that I cannot update to any firmware other than 384.19 to my RT5300 router. If I upload any other firmware, my router goes into a constant reboot every 1 minute.
Have you tried going back to stock via "rescue", lets say for a day, then gone back?

I moved all my items off Guest #1 to #2 given the Guest #1 troubles noted here, but then saw Guest #2 isn’t isolated from the intranet with the 42095 code-base, so haven’t tried to upgrade from 384.19 yet as I need Guest isolation. At this point, I disabled DNSSEC and am using a trusted upstream DNS server to address the DNSpooq vulnerabilities for 384.19.

Guest 1 works very well! Just use dynamically assigned IP addresses and not reserved or static. And you can use Stubby for DNSSEC.

Dirty Upgrade from 386.2 - 386.2.2 done and my RT-AC68U mesh node and RT-AC88U as my main router, no issues noticed.

:)

Have you tried going back to stock via "rescue", lets say for a day, then gone back?
One of two RT-AC87U's I have needed that approach. ie load Stock firmware first via Rescue, then "after a pause", able to load the Merlin code. The 2nd RT-AC87U didn't have too. I've learnt with ASUS Router's, don't quickly move from firmware loads to next activity on Router, without some wait time.

One of two RT-AC87U's I have needed that approach. ie load Stock firmware first via Rescue, then "after a pause", able to load the Merlin code. The 2nd RT-AC87U didn't have too. I've learnt with ASUS Router's, don't quickly move from firmware loads to next activity on Router, without some wait time.

Fascinating that waiting more than 30 minutes has any effect on the ability to successfully flash a firmware.

Smooth as silk to dirty flash to 386.2_2 from 386.2 on my AiMesh network, RT-AX88U, AX86U, AX56U, AC86U. Only quirk seen, after the update on the primary unit, no Addons Tab. Clicking on the Admin Tab, then Addon tab automatically appeared. All addon tabs within present and operational.

Attachments

• No Add-ONs.jpg
    No Add-ONs.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Addons.jpg
    Addons.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 147
I updated 2 x AC68U today. I was testing the node on 384.19 wifi uptime and got 6 days stable. I did a dirty upgrade on the router (386.2) and after reboot 5 ghz disappeared permanently. The node also came back up roughly the same time but channel had switched from 48 (5g) to 52. So waited 10 mins and rebooted the System and all came back with current config and has been running stable for 17 hours so far.

I think I keep sounding like a broken record...But for the life of me, I cannot upgrade my RT5300 to anything over 384.19.
I've tried every update (including betas) to 386.2.

I've done a dirty upgrade and a full hard reset and I cannot use the router.

No matter how I upgrade, the router reboots, stays online for about 1 min, and then reboots again. This happens all the time and never stops rebooting.. I need to time it perfectly to reboot the router, logon and upload 384.19 firmware. I have less than 1 min to upload it and then I can use the router/internet again.

Does anyone have any issues with RT5300?

thanks

Yes, I ran into this issue on the RT-AC88U with the 386.2 to 386.2_2 upgrade.

The upgrade via the HTTP GUI failed to complete twice and on the third attempt it corrupted the image and caused the router to boot into recovery mode. From there the CFE HTTP server also failed to apply a new image. I had to use a CLI TFTP to apply the image successfully and restore functionality.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, a sign my NAND storage is dying, or bad luck due to a cosmic ray.

I actually came here to peruse this thread and look for a fellow user who experienced this problem.

i'm sorry if i am missing reading all 23 pages here but in my skimming i didn't quite see the scenario or situation i am having.

prior to today, i was running a AC1900P as a router and a AC68U as an access point, both running 384.19.

today, i decided i would update to 386.2.2.

here were my steps:

- updated AC68U. reset to factory setting using WPS method. Result: it came up fine and was working properly with the web interface almost immediately.

- i updated the AC1900P and reset to factory using the WPS method. i set it up by setting up a the SSIDs and setting up the router admin and password, and after doing that, i was basically locked out of doing anything with the router.

it is now 1+ hour later and i still can't get into the router. it shows up on the Asus IOS app but doesn't show any clients.

yet, it does seem to be routing information to the access point. any device connected to that access point does appear to get Wifi and internet access.

Oddly, if i run Speedtest app on my phone or a laptop, both say "not internet connection" yet i can access webpages, etc.

anyone have any suggestions or help for this lost soul here? i am still waiting for the router to free itself, but since it's been maybe 80 minutes, i'm getting a little anxious and wondering if i need to start from scratch again or revert back to 384.19 so i can have a working network tomorrow for work. (i did already start from scratch once, but then i recalled reading here a long time ago to be patient and let things settle out for the web GUI to work...but the odd thing is that i didn't have to do that with the access point 68u which has the same CPU as the 1900P)

You haven't done anything wrong. The jump to 386.xx requires database maintenance, which might take a while. I've seen posts indicating that this could take a few hours. From the changelog comes the following:

386.1 (30-Jan-2021)

Switched to the new 386 codebase. 386 introduces
AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to OpenSSL 1.1.1
firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest (powered
by Ookla). For more details, please refer
to Asus's own release notes.

- NOTE: For developers, note that firmware code is
once again back on the master branch, with
both mainline and ax being reunified again.

- NOTE: Some users upgrading might have to go through some
database maintenance on first boot, which means the
router might be slower or have a non-responsive webui
for a while.

This can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour,
depending on your model, just give it time to complete
the process.

You haven't done anything wrong. The jump to 386.xx requires database maintenance, which might take a while. I've seen posts indicating that this could take a few hours. From the changelog comes the following:

386.1 (30-Jan-2021)

Switched to the new 386 codebase. 386 introduces
AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to OpenSSL 1.1.1
firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest (powered
by Ookla). For more details, please refer
to Asus's own release notes.

- NOTE: For developers, note that firmware code is
once again back on the master branch, with
both mainline and ax being reunified again.

- NOTE: Some users upgrading might have to go through some
database maintenance on first boot, which means the
router might be slower or have a non-responsive webui
for a while.

This can take anywhere from 5 minutes up to an hour,
depending on your model, just give it time to complete
the process.
thanks Datalink. should i ultimately reboot the router at some point? i guess the good news is i do have internet access. it has definitely been longer than an hour, but i guess i will be patient. i am glad you were able to share with me that this is expected/normal.

any thoughts on why speedtest is being blocked? i only know this because i was trying to use it to test whether i had a connection and i had falsely assumed for a while that i had no internet access when in fact i did.

At some point when you can get back into the UI, and are able to navigate around the tabs, I'd reboot the router. You'll have to judge whether or not the time that it takes to switch from one tab to another is normal or still running slow. I think when you determine that the router appears to be behaving normally, at least in the time that it takes to navigate thru the tabs, at that point, reboot the router.

Don't know why the speedtest was blocked. Maybe its the result of the database maintenance ??

thanks for the tips. i am finally in the UI and speediest now works on my iPhone so it must have been database management going on. i will let it sit a little longer but then reboot as you suggested. i think i will hold off in shifting over from AP mode to AI Mesh 2.0. i've done enough experimenting for one night ;)

thanks again for your speedy help. i greatly appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!