What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dirty on AC86U from 386.2_4, all good under the hood.

Thanks Merlin.

RT-AC86U, dirty upgrade from 386.2_4, everything is fine but my iPhone no longer stays connected when locked and it takes a long time to reconnect when woken up. No issues with my iPad and my Linux computers, power cycling the router and resetting the phone’s network settings didn’t help. There are no Wi-Fi related changes in the changelog so I’m not quite sure as to what this could be due to.

Gotcha, I thought that wasn’t part of the wireless stack. That could be it, then.
I tried again from _4 to _6. My 2.4 GHz devices either don't connect, are really slow (sync or throughput) or lock up (my cable TV box). Really weird. I restarted etc.

Back to _4 and no issues again with anything - it's really weird. AX86U

I tried again from _4 to _6. My 2.4 GHz devices either don't connect, are really slow (sync or throughput) or lock up (my cable TV box). Really weird. I restarted etc.

Back to _4 and no issues again with anything - it's really weird. AX86U
I just realized that except for the weird iPhone sleep issue my Logi Circle security cameras would also intermittently lose their connectivity, both on 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I’m also back to _4 now and everything works fine again.

I just realized that except for the weird iPhone sleep issue my Logi Circle security cameras would also intermittently lose their connectivity, both on 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I’m also back to _4 now and everything works fine again.

Strange indeed. Others have no issues at all.

I see a lot of AC86U's being upgraded here. Mine had temp issues with 386.x the last time I did it (several weeks ago, >90C at idle), so I've gone back to running 384.x (75C at idle).

Is the general consensus that AC86U temp issues with 386.x are the result of hardware defect/failure? Or has the disabling of CPU wait support made it a non-issue unless there's a hardware defect/failure?

Strange indeed. Others have no issues at all.
It is strange. My notoriously finicky Nest HD Cameras are all on the 2.4GHz band and have been very stable on _6.

I do find that interference from neighbour's wifi can cause havoc at times as well. I'm in a pretty congested area so every now and then the system will see a series of disconnects and I'll have to look at a better channel etc...

ac5300 _4 clean flash to _6 dirty and have wifi disconnects. 5G2 unconnectable, can't access dashboard just times out. Rebooted a few times.

Resetting via hardware reset button fails to reset device. Problem persists where only 5G1 is connectable. Hard reset via holding WPS button for 30-ish seconds finally reset device.

I did a hard reset, then I flashed the firmware again (just in case) and did another hard reset. That seemed to fix the webui/ssh timeouts. 5G seems stable.

I stick with the default config. Separate ssids, use DNS over TLS, install diversion and skynet. I don't mess with the advanced wifi settings and stuff.

Last edited:
I see a lot of AC86U's being upgraded here. Mine had temp issues with 386.x the last time I did it (several weeks ago, >90C at idle), so I've gone back to running 384.x (75C at idle).

Is the general consensus that AC86U temp issues with 386.x are the result of hardware defect/failure? Or has the disabling of CPU wait support made it a non-issue unless there's a hardware defect/failure?
It's complicated but seems like faulty design. From SNB famous threads collection: Here.

Perhaps read this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-heat-sink-mod-er-hack.68940/

I "modded" my RT-AC86U with a thin piece of copper between CPU and heatsink:
cpu-die -> 0,5mm thermalpad ->1,0mm copper sheet -> 0,5mm thermalpad -> heatsink.
This "copper-mod" reduces cpu-temperature about 10°. SORRY for offtopic... btt...

Perhaps read this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-heat-sink-mod-er-hack.68940/

cpu-die -> 0,5mm thermalpad ->1,0mm copper sheet -> 0,5mm thermalpad -> heatsink.
This "copper-mod" reduces cpu-temperature about 10°. SORRY for offtopic... btt...
Fixed a ASUS RT AC86U with the Noctua fan solution and got a 15°C temp drop with the 386 firmware version that in my experience runs roughshod on router CPUs, contrasted with previous versions. Looking at the AX version case design, thinking of modding the front for even more cooling.

Upgraded two RT-AC5300's from _4 dirty flash to _6 dirty - node first then router.. all is good.... had a few 2.4 disconnects with my Nest Camera but I think it has to do with my wifi congested area

Please use this thread for endless discussing temp/temp modification
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-temperatures.71123/

Fixed a ASUS RT AC86U with the Noctua fan solution and got a 15°C temp drop with the 386 firmware version that in my experience runs roughshod on router CPUs, contrasted with previous versions. Looking at the AX version case design, thinking of modding the front for even more cooling.

Last edited:
rt-ac5300, and rt-ac68u from 386.2_4 dirty flash to 386.2_6 so far no new noticeable issues, the usual 1-2 wifi devices misbehaving.
I actually had more issues in 386.2_4 until I factory reset and reduced nvram usage, too many devices were configured with manual ip assignment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!