What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did a dirty Upgrade from 386.2_4 on AC86U and ran into some issues. Audio/Video desync on several streaming Services and performance issues.

Did a clean install and ran into more issues like freezing the whole router (reboot needed) and problems with assigning manual IP's.

Did a clean downgrade to 386.2_4 and everything is running fine and Rock Solid again.

Greetings from GER

Did a dirty Upgrade from 386.2_4 on AC86U and ran into some issues. Audio/Video desync on several streaming Services and performance issues.

Did a clean install and ran into more issues like freezing the whole router (reboot needed) and problems with assigning manual IP's.

Did a clean downgrade to 386.2_4 and everything is running fine and Rock Solid again.

Greetings from GER
The AC86U enjoys using up RAM [which it does very efficiently] with little left for Firmware upgrades - especially if you have a USB device attached to the router. Essential to eject USB and observe that RAM consumption has dropped substantially - then flash firmware. The AC86U sometimes needs JFFS scripts disabled [in the webui] and rebooted without the USB connected -before flashing latest firmware.

386.2_6 is running flawlessly on hundreds of AC86U's [including one that I look after].

Glad to hear that it's working for most of the people out there. Sadly not 4 me. Running minimal setup with no usb or scripts. Just changed 2.4 and 5Ghz channels, activated full cone NAT and assigned 3 manual IP's.

Didnt want to offend anybody, the router or merlin. Just reporting my experience

i cleared the cache for chrome and still getting ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED error when going thru the various option in the admin page on AX1000

The AC86U enjoys using up RAM [which it does very efficiently] with little left for Firmware upgrades - especially if you have a USB device attached to the router. Essential to eject USB and observe that RAM consumption has dropped substantially - then flash firmware. The AC86U sometimes needs JFFS scripts disabled [in the webui] and rebooted without the USB connected -before flashing latest firmware.

386.2_6 is running flawlessly on hundreds of AC86U's [including one that I look after].

And another one here! Just went from 384.15 right up to 386.2_6 moments ago and everything is running fine. Even the temps are identical to the readings I took just prior to the firmware update.

Cheers

Sonic.

Dirty flashed 386.2_4 to 386.2_6 and now I am getting

protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth6

every second in my log.
It's a bug in Asus's recent Guest Network implementation, switch to using Guest Network 2 instead of the first one.

Just went from 384.15

Sorry about the off topic, but I like the clean UI of 384.15! Asus RAM chart was pretty useful when testing or changing settings in UI or scripts and how they affect the RAM usage. A short history of RAM usage - nice, aligned and clean. It was replaced in 386.16 with this thing, showing absolutely nothing, with eyes irritating uneven spacing above the CPU % utilization:

Untitled_tr.png

Why the change, @RMerlin?

It's a bug in Asus's recent Guest Network implementation, switch to using Guest Network 2 instead of the first one.
Thanks Merlin, is that applicable to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands?
I changed just the 2.4GHZ one and the messages disappeared, should I do the other one too?

Why the change, @RMerlin?
When the change was betatested, the vast majority found the network monitoring useful, and not a single person complained about the loss of RAM monitoring. I removed it to avoid having overflow scrollbars from the enlarged frame, and I never heard of any user needing to regularly monitor on-the-fly RAM usage, while instantly seeing on loging if there is some network traffic is often useful. And with so many users coming here to complain about RAM usage without any basic understanding of how memory allocation works under Linux, that's one less chance for them to come here panicking about something that's perfectly normal.

Thanks Merlin, is that applicable to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands?
I changed just the 2.4GHZ one and the messages disappeared, should I do the other one too?
It will only happen when you have a client connected to that band and actively using it. If you have clients on both bands, then you should move both of them.

the vast majority found the network monitoring useful

Is there any chance to make it ISP speed adjustable at least? Connected to QoS upload/download settings, perhaps? It often shows full scale under 1MB/sec traffic. The indicator tells nothing, if you don't read the numbers next to it.

no sure is this a bug or hardware issue on my Ax1000 , when i clicked on the ai mesh page i will get this error : err_socket_not_connected and my internet connection will get disconnected. i am using :386.2_6
is this due to the web UI crashed ?

i tried to upgrade from Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_43129-g60defb2 to this version after the router -AC68u, it still showing : 3.0.0.4.386_43129-g60defb2 . did i do anything wrong ?

I have two issues with this update (was from 384.xx) --

[1] I have set up two profiles/accounts for SMB, one named "admin" that has full access to everything, and one named "user" that has more restricted access. I set up access for clients (phones etc.) with the "user" profile and it had worked well for years. After the update I could no longer access SMB with the "user" credential, but could still use "admin" to access. I opened the config page on the router, and found that for "user" the options of removal and edit (the minus and pen icons) has been greyed out, i.e. I could not remove or edit that profile; those are still available for "admin", and if I create another profile, it could be edited/removed, and I could access SMB with it even though it has the same restrictions as the "user" profile.

[2] I got warning that NVRAM is full after update. I don't really have fancy stuff so could not find ways to reduce much, except for the empty variables ("name="), so I cleaned them and reduced NVRAM use by 20%. Problem is that all these empty variables would come back (and NVRAM near full) after a reboot, unless I had the cleaning command run after each reboot. [this may not be new to this update, but I never got NVRAM warning before so did not pay attention.]

[1] I have set up two profiles/accounts for SMB, one named "admin" that has full access to everything, and one named "user" that has more restricted access. I set up access for clients (phones etc.) with the "user" profile and it had worked well for years. After the update I could no longer access SMB with the "user" credential, but could still use "admin" to access. I opened the config page on the router, and found that for "user" the options of removal and edit (the minus and pen icons) has been greyed out, i.e. I could not remove or edit that profile; those are still available for "admin", and if I create another profile, it could be edited/removed, and I could access SMB with it even though it has the same restrictions as the "user" profile.
I've attached screenshots. when "admin" was selected, all 3 buttons (add, remove, edit) are available. When "user" as selected, only "add" is available.

Attachments

• smb2.JPG
    smb2.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 118
  • smb1.JPG
    smb1.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 121
I've attached screenshots. when "admin" was selected, all 3 buttons (add, remove, edit) are available. When "user" as selected, only "add" is available.
This can likely happen when the accounts get "out-of-sequence" in nvram. If you look at the underlying nvram variable over ssh login:
Code:
nvram get acc_list
You will probably find that user and its password is listed before admin and its password. You probably also have errors applying any settings on the Administration / System page.

If you understand the "<" and ">" delimited field in the nvram output, you could reorder them correctly:
Code:
nvram set acc_list="admin>theencryptedpassword<user>theencrypteduserpassword"
nvram commit
service reboot
The last reboot command can be done when convenient. Otherwise just refresh the samba page and see if it works properly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!