What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade from 386.3_2 to 386.4_0 and I am getting the same "WAN disconnected" issue of other users. The output of the commands requested to them is:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX86U 386.4_0 Sat Jan  1 18:42:21 UTC 2022

# nslookup dns.msftncsi.com
Server:    1.1.1.1
Address 1: 1.1.1.1 one.one.one.one

Name:      dns.msftncsi.com
Address 1: 131.107.255.255 dns.msftncsi.com
Address 2: fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

# nvram get dns_probe_host
dns.msftncsi.com
# nvram get dns_probe_content
131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

I never touched that configuration and reading the thread I am not sure how to fix it, as they seem to be correct:

Any hint about how to solve this?

Did you try what was suggested here

Did you try what was suggested here

Please read what I posted: I already have the correct values, in my case it seems that selecting a different DNS (1.1.1.1) from the one provided by the ISP breaks the WAN detection algorithm.

Please read what I posted: I already have the correct values, in my case it seems that selecting a different DNS (1.1.1.1) from the one provided by the ISP breaks the WAN detection algorithm.
This issue seems to be specific to certain people it looks like.

i'm using google dns and not the one provided by my ISP and don't have this issue.

2 AX88Us are upgraded and running about 24h, thank you

Any chance to start compatibility with AX55U AX1800?

You can still use Diversion, you just need to disable pixelsrv-tls.

I don't know what kind of impact these crashing dcd process can have on router performance or whether it will affect any of the Trend Micro-related features.
Thanks RMerlin. Just for completeness sake I'm posting the log entries I am getting in case you or someone can see something that would eventually allow Pixelsrv-tls.

Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: potentially unexpected fatal signal 11.
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 8553 Comm: dcd Tainted: P O 4.1.51 #2
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: Hardware name: Broadcom-v8A (DT)
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: task: ffffffc02b2f6b80 ti: ffffffc02efd8000 task.ti: ffffffc02efd8000
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: PC is at 0xf6d8339c
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: LR is at 0x1dd14
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: pc : [<00000000f6d8339c>] lr : [<000000000001dd14>] pstate: 600f0010
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: sp : 00000000fff7a6b8
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x12: 00000000000a2050
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x11: 00000000f60ff024 x10: 00000000000a23c4
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x9 : 00000000f60ff924 x8 : 00000000000a287c
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x7 : 00000000f60ff95c x6 : 00000000000a2876
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x5 : 0000000000000000 x4 : 00000000f60ff908
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x3 : 0000000000000000 x2 : 00000000fff7a694
Jan 2 18:53:05 kernel: x1 : 000000000007d75a x0 : 0000000000000000
Jan 2 18:56:46 hostapd: eth6: STA f4:ce:46:66:b0:3a WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Jan 2 18:56:46 hostapd: eth6: STA 18:d2:76:bb:f9:31 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)

When the router restarts, /jffs/scripts/firewall-start doesn't run until I log into the web UI and click the Adaptive QOS tab. It then runs about 30 seconds later.

Any ideas?

Just did a factory refresh and trying to get a lets encrypt cert for my no-ip ddns... I keep getting
Jan 2 19:37:18 kernel: ***.no-ip.org:Verify error:Fetching http://***.no-ip.org/.well-known/acme-challenge/*******: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)
Jan 2 19:37:18 kernel: [Sun Jan 2 19:37:18 EST 2022] Please add '--debug' or '--log' to check more details.
Jan 2 19:37:18 kernel: [Sun Jan 2 19:37:18 EST 2022] See: https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh/wiki/How-to-debug-acme.sh

30 min. after update my AC1900U ( AC68U ) to v386.4 , all my devices connected to 5ghz band were disconnected. 2.4ghz and Wired connections still fine. I had to reboot the router.
same thing happened to me. AX68U here.
I had an AC68U before the AX68U and both had issues with 5ghz occasionally dropping or disappearing for a few minutes, so hard to say if it's that old issue, or something new from the 386.4 upgrade. Overall I've had a lot more 5ghz issues in the past few days since updating the firmware than I would usually have, so... dunno.
I noticed that when the 5ghz craps out, my laptop seems to retain connectivity, but my Android devices do not.

1 hr up, dirty update (w/usb removal) was seamless and smooth sailing here so far. Thank you.

Why not reading the Change Log - would give you an answer BEFORE posting this questions... :oops:

So you better save the DHCP reservations before update and restore them in case there are issues in the conversion.
You can achieve a backup with the great script dhcpstaticlist.sh from @Xentrk - not sure if restore works with this updated DHCP handling - but at least you have a backup! :rolleyes:

I fully read the change log and it dose not explain why the host name is incorrect. Clearly the conversion algorithm did not pick it up. All of the reservations worked, the host names changed or at least did not use the expected defined names in some cases.

They are, same as stock firmware.

No issue with Chrome here, try clearing your cache (Asuswrt-Merlin's wireless log page is completely different from stock), and check for conflicting addons.
@RMerlin : I have figured out how to install the https certificates. As a result: 1. I can securely access via ms edge or chrome AND 2. due to this, or pure coincidence, all screens display without issue now.

BTW, Been running 11+ Hours and it is solid

I posted in the beta3 forum -
I'm not sure what information you need - RT-AX88U
I run 386.4_alpha2-ga85421da82 - works great
I've updated last month to a newer beta version - both WAN ports show disconnected. Reverted back to alpha.

I run a 9/1 dual WAN balance.

I just attempted to upgrade to 386.4 - went back to both WAN ports "disconnected".

I did a factory reset via the Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting - set up wireless - set up Dual WAN load balance 9/1 - was okay for one reboot/config change.

Changed IP router to something other than 50.1 - back to the above (both WAN's disconnected) - uggg!

I downgraded back to the alpha version linked above and restored my previous config - back to normal.

I will add logs if requested. I'm not great in Linux so tell me what to terminal.

AND 2. due to this, or pure coincidence, all screens display without issue now.
This is actually a very old bug that I have never been able to figure out (because it would require someone with better expertise with TLS and how web browser uses/validate certificates). For some reason, self-signed certificates often cause browsers to get stuck or fail at loading certain elements. The only theory I have is that the browser is possibly trying to establish a second connection to the router to do some form of certificate validation. Since the router's httpd is single-threaded, that connection fails, which cause the element to fail loading. The issue goes away as soon I install a certificate that is recognized by my browser (I manage my own CA within my LAN).

I just attempted to upgrade to 386.4 - went back to both WAN ports "disconnected".
Double check your WAN monitoring options configured on the WAN or the Dual WAN pages. You can also try resetting them to their default values (See post #2 in this thread).

Thnx Merlin!
Router is smooth but with a view issues i already fixed.
I came from beta3 and did a dirty upgrade with some amtm features installed and OpenVPN.

Only issues:
1. OpenVPN configuration went wrong. VPN server Error on boot. Made some changes (changed someting and put it back) and the server started but TLS handshale Failed. I cleared everything end build it again without any issues.
2. All diversion features were gone. I needed to install them again.

View questions.
1. I thought CakeQOS is a merlin thing? It doesnt came up on the router of amtm.
2. Adguard is't linked from the gui. The only thing to find the adress is via ssh. Port 14711

For now everything is smoot. No connection issues so far. Thnx!

@figorr
Did you try to change your router's mac-address on the 'WAN' page. Maybe your provider is doing something wrong. When I put in a fake mac-address (copy of my 5g address with one digit changed) I will get a new ip-address from my provider.
All you should need to do is to clone the gateway/modem's MAC address to the router. Some ISPs have a list of "approved/verified devices" that may connect/authenticate with them.
Advanced Settings > WAN > Internet Connection > Special Requirement from ISP > MAC Address and hit the big clone button to populate that box

The 384 upgrade worked fine for me. Having initially had the issue myself : (a return value of * after running: # nvram get dns_probe_content) and as @Matthew Patrick had previously posted below:
Interestingly. On my AC86U . The dns_probe_content is * . I guess that means as long as the DNS could resolve it. It will report the internet as working.
That is not the default value, something must have changed this at some point.
This was fully resolved for me by, right here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-is-now-available.76498/post-733106 so my thanks for the quick recognition and post

I ran a dirty upgrade from 384_Beta3, corrected the above ^^ then another re-boot and it's all good.

IPv6 DDNS is a non-functional item, as posted here by @RMerlin > inadyn: rc: disable IPv6 support <
It seems... that this will be added back in, once ASUS have corrected / updated it themselves, in theory... in their next GPL RC-3 release(s) which, will then be worked on & improved ;) by @RMerlin

This is actually a very old bug that I have never been able to figure out (because it would require someone with better expertise with TLS and how web browser uses/validate certificates). For some reason, self-signed certificates often cause browsers to get stuck or fail at loading certain elements. The only theory I have is that the browser is possibly trying to establish a second connection to the router to do some form of certificate validation. Since the router's httpd is single-threaded, that connection fails, which cause the element to fail loading. The issue goes away as soon I install a certificate that is recognized by my browser (I manage my own CA within my LAN).

Double check your WAN monitoring options configured on the WAN or the Dual WAN pages. You can also try resetting them to their default values (See post #2 in this thread).

Thank You for the reply.
I attempted the NVRAM fix on post 2 - and had the same issue.
I turned off PING and put it back on DNS queries and my issue is resolved. I don’t understand why it broke - it’s a solid IP, but I’m glad.
Thank you RMerlin!

Edit - so this worked until I made a change in my WAN configuration - and then back to disconnected.
I ran the fix again from post 2 - same issue
reverted my change - same

I'm done farting with it - somethings jacked in this monitor that changed with Dual WAN. I reverted to what I had setup two weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any idea why but when IPv6 enabled as tunnel 6to4 on my AC88u, my Asus ZenWatch (connected to 2.4Ghz) and my Lenovo t480 laptop (connected to 5Ghz) disconnects and reconnects in every 10 minutes. it's exactly 600 seconds not more or not less.

Connected time on Wireless Log page only resets for my ZenWatch, but laptop losts it's VPN connection and re-connects again.

My other devices works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!