What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post the output from the following commands by running them from your router:

Code:
nslookup dns.msftncsi.com
nvram get dns_probe_host
nvram get dns_probe_content
Hi RMerlin,

The output from this commands directly from the router:

Output.png

I have tried to reboot and It's still there.
I don't want to reset too many settings to restore.
think it has somthing todo with the call to dns.msftncsi.com (NSCI),
if returned 131.107.255.255 then it thinks that you have internet,
if it doesnt repeat the DNS then it thinks you dont have internet.
so maybe:
- time problem
- connection not showing up problem on main page
:confused:
(Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet -> "EnableActiveProbing" 1/0)

Hi RMerlin,

The output from this commands directly from the router:

View attachment 38186
Those are non-standard values, and that test will break very easily because www.google.com can return different IP addresses based on the DNS server you use for your queries, or the region you are located in.

Replace these with the proper default values:

Code:
nvram set dns_probe_content="131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1"
nvram set dns_probe_host="dns.msftncsi.com"
nvram commit

After 7 hours running this FW version, everything seems working OK.

Just only one curiosity is that the average CPU used is now around 2.8% for all 1, 5 and 15 minutes average, when it was before around 1.9% consistently (I have checked it many times in this 7 hours period, without having any specific high load from any LAN user).
Is it possible that this FW is more CPU "hungry" than the ones before?

Known issue generally caused by pixelserv-tls (or any other addon that adds a custom network interface), which causes the TrendMicro dcd daemon to crash. Nothing I can do about it, you will have to uninstall pixelserv-tls.
Thanks Merlin. I’ve disabled pixelserv-tls via the Diversion WebUI and that seems to have done the trick. Hope Asus/Trend fix at some point, so I can re-enable for Diversion.

Yes, I ran it just a few seconds ago before posting it.

It is weird ... I didn't notice it. But it seems something about the Merlin Firmware.

I repeated the commands and I took a bigger picture. And the time from the login is Sun Jan 2

Last edited:
After 7 hours running this FW version, everything seems working OK.

Just only one curiosity is that the average CPU used is now around 2.8% for all 1, 5 and 15 minutes average, when it was before around 1.9% consistently (I have checked it many times in this 7 hours period, without having any specific high load from any LAN user).
Is it possible that this FW is more CPU "hungry" than the ones before?
having arround 2.9 on first cpu

Yes, I ran it just a few seconds ago before posting it.

It is weird ... I didn't notice it. But it seems something about the Merlin Firmware.

I repeated the commands and I took a bigger picture. And the time from the login is Sun Jan 2

View attachment 38189
The banner shows the firmware build date.

I did read it, my understanding, from reading it was, as long as I do not revert it will cause no issues, I just wanted this clarifying.
I have just updated my AX86U's (router and node) and no problems with dhcp reservations yet.
I have like 15 preset and all are there so it seems to update properly to the new method.

Those are non-standard values, and that test will break very easily because www.google.com can return different IP addresses based on the DNS server you use for your queries, or the region you are located in.

Code:
nvram commit
Thanks @RMerlin.

Everything is working OK now.

The output points to dns.msftncsi.com with the different commands.

And now the Internet Status is shown as CONNECTED. :D

Many thanks. It seems the NVRAM values were the clue.

Last edited:
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins)2.55, 2.80, 2.86
logged in
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins)2.93, 2.80, 2.84
logged in and switching arround the tabs for a minute

I have just updated my AX86U's (router and node) and no problems with dhcp reservations yet.
I have like 15 preset and all are there so it seems to update properly to the new method.
Perfect, all i need to know, I think I have 47 lol. Thank you.

CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins)2.55, 2.80, 2.86

logged in
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins)2.93, 2.80, 2.84

logged in and switching arround the tabs for a minute

Thank you, this is consistent with my CPU now in 386.4, but with other FWs before, the average was consistently around 1.9%, and hence my question (only a curiosity, not an actual problem)

Code:
nvram commit
Interestingly. On my AC86U . The dns_probe_content is * . I guess that means as long as the DNS could resolve it. It will report the internet as working.

Idk what this would do when the ISP's DNS goes out tho. Since sometimes ISP have problems with the DNS and since we are using DoT it should still work AFAIK but with this it prob will make the router report the internet as not available then?

Rebooted and flashed. Successful as usual. Only problem was I needed to restart SkyNet. I've noticed problems with SkyNet not restarting automatically both on Merlin updates and Entware updates. Anyone else have this problem?

I just upgraded my RT-AX56U from 386.3_2 to 386.4 and now I cannot log into my router via the web interface. "Invalid user name or password." I've cleared my browser cache and rebooted the router. I've also tried the factory default credentials with no luck. Any other ideas before I factory reset?

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.3_2 Final to V386.4 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.4 Final into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.

Anyone getting this now when logging into the webUI? Comes up every time and has only started since 386.4, any ideas of how to stop it from coming up?

login1.jpglogin2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!