Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex Texan

Occasional Visitor
So I see Asus has just released a new firmware for the AX88U... forgive my ignorance but is it the case that Merlin is usually ahead of these in terms of his versions already containing most (all?) of these fixes before an official Asus release? Or not?

1642166492947.png

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture

AlbumMan

Occasional Visitor
Question about QoS? Simple network here; a couple of 2.4G devices (already been mentioned by using Legacy since they began dropping after switching to this RT-AX3000 router), a couple of 5G devices, no Mesh, no gaming, no USB drive and no longer using internal VPN but DO have Cake enabled since it is now built-in. I decided to upgrade my ancient cable modem that has a max 100meg speed limit to a new MB8611 and switch to Xfinity's 900meg service. Speeds are great measuring from the router then decided to disable QoS. Settings got applied then within minutes, noticed my (2) 2.4G devices (thermostat and weather station) began dropping/reconnecting every few minutes. and saw my RAM usage went from 48% to 60%. Ok, perhaps the router needed a reboot. Did that but continued drops/high RAM use. Re-enabled QoS and boom, everything is happy again. Just wondering if there is something lingering in the code that caused this just by turning off QoS? Thanks!

joegreat

Very Senior Member
Given this weather in the North East, hopefully some Poutine as well ;-)
I love the progression this thread has had.
It's gone from announcing a new release, via reporting if stable/unstable or broken or not, to asking for help for specific problems related or not to the release, to now discussing sandwhiches :D Hilarious!
Poutine - Ugh! Every region has his gruesomeness... o_O

Tex Texan

Occasional Visitor

skeal

Part of the Furniture
Question about QoS? Simple network here; a couple of 2.4G devices (already been mentioned by using Legacy since they began dropping after switching to this RT-AX3000 router), a couple of 5G devices, no Mesh, no gaming, no USB drive and no longer using internal VPN but DO have Cake enabled since it is now built-in. I decided to upgrade my ancient cable modem that has a max 100meg speed limit to a new MB8611 and switch to Xfinity's 900meg service. Speeds are great measuring from the router then decided to disable QoS. Settings got applied then within minutes, noticed my (2) 2.4G devices (thermostat and weather station) began dropping/reconnecting every few minutes. and saw my RAM usage went from 48% to 60%. Ok, perhaps the router needed a reboot. Did that but continued drops/high RAM use. Re-enabled QoS and boom, everything is happy again. Just wondering if there is something lingering in the code that caused this just by turning off QoS? Thanks!
When you disable Cake you enable again the flow runner and flow cache. That's why you see more processor use.

tsanga

Regular Contributor
Hi
I've done a fresh install of latest 386.4 on AC86U (main router), with two AC68U as AiMesh nodes.

After this update, Guest Network 1 (the one I use to distribute a guest network all around the nodes) doesn't work anymore.
Clients doesn't get IP.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Any fix?
I've already done a hard reset of everything.

Best regards
See this thread, especially the most recent posts.

WillyTP

Regular Contributor
Are you using wired backhaul between your router and nodes by any chance? If so, see this thread - wireless clients reported unable to connect to guest network 1 via Aimesh nodes running 386.4 for setups involving wired backhaul to the router and access to intranet on guest network 1 disabled. 'Fixes' reported working include enabling intranet access on guest network 1 (although this would seem to defeat the point of having a guest network in the first place), moving to wireless backhaul, or using latest stock firmware on the nodes (main router can stay on 386.4).
Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply.

I confirm I have a wired backhaul between the nodes, before switching to 386.4 I hadn't this issue.

I missed the thread you signaled me.
For the moment I'll stay with this bugged config, hope to get a Merlin fix soon.

Best regards

visortgw

Very Senior Member
Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply.

I confirm I have a wired backhaul between the nodes, before switching to 386.4 I hadn't this issue.

I missed the thread you signaled me.
For the moment I'll stay with this bugged config, hope to get a Merlin fix soon.

Best regards
I have Merlin 386.4 on my primary router (RT-AX86U) with the latest Asus baseline releases on each of my AiMesh nodes (wired RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U, and RT-AX58U plus wireless RT-AX58U). I am experiencing excellent stability and throughput throughout my network with an isolated Guest 1 network pushed to all AiMesh nodes.

capncybo

Regular Contributor
Are you using wired backhaul between your router and nodes by any chance? If so, see this thread - wireless clients reported unable to connect to guest network 1 via Aimesh nodes running 386.4 for setups involving wired backhaul to the router and access to intranet on guest network 1 disabled. 'Fixes' reported working include enabling intranet access on guest network 1 (although this would seem to defeat the point of having a guest network in the first place), moving to wireless backhaul, or using latest stock firmware on the nodes (main router can stay on 386.4).

Thanks Pinkgrae & sorry WillyTP I missed this post & allready replied in the other thread.
However it does seem you have found the answer & solution. Obviously @RMerlin will still have to include the fix inside his next & future firmware versions.

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
Late to the game. I just did a dirty upgrade from 386.3_2 (I think) to 386.4 yesterday on my AC86U. I have a very simple config so I wasn't surprised that all went well. However, today I notice that occasionally the web GUI is sluggish - taking 5 or 6 seconds to switch pages. Sometimes the system status frame stays blank for up to 10 seconds. But when the system status finally displays it does not show high use of either CPU or interfaces. This doesn't seem to effect connectivity, but it seems odd.
I have never spent much time in the log but I see nothing unusual are the times I'm experiencing the GUI delays.

shabbs

Love poutine. Ultimate comfort food. My two favourite poutine joints:
- The Mess Hall Poutinerie in Georgetown, ON
- The Elgin Street Diner in Ottawa, ON

And anytime I had poutine in Quebec... the whole adventure was a little foggy...

DarkKnight75

Rock solid after 13 days...anyone why my login using wont allow cached username and pwd? I have to manually enter each time, this wasn't the case with stock Asus firmware.

PR3MIUM

Regular Contributor

anotherengineer

Regular Contributor
Love poutine. Ultimate comfort food. My two favourite poutine joints:
- The Mess Hall Poutinerie in Georgetown, ON
- The Elgin Street Diner in Ottawa, ON

And anytime I had poutine in Quebec... the whole adventure was a little foggy...
Ya went through old Quebec city before covid era. Probably gained 5lbs but man it was good, the poutines and everything else lol

Treadler

Very Senior Member
Late to the game. I just did a dirty upgrade from 386.3_2 (I think) to 386.4 yesterday on my AC86U. I have a very simple config so I wasn't surprised that all went well. However, today I notice that occasionally the web GUI is sluggish - taking 5 or 6 seconds to switch pages. Sometimes the system status frame stays blank for up to 10 seconds. But when the system status finally displays it does not show high use of either CPU or interfaces. This doesn't seem to effect connectivity, but it seems odd.
I have never spent much time in the log but I see nothing unusual are the times I'm experiencing the GUI delays.
Logging on using HTTPS can cause this.
Using HTTP will fix the issue if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!