What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade of RT-AX86U from 386.3_2 to 386.4.

1. Every time the router is turned on, the previous syslog will disappear. And the new syslog starts at a strange location, instead of "May 5 13:05:08 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1".
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: attaching mtd10
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: scanning is finished
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: attached mtd10 (name "misc1", size 8 MiB)
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: PEB size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB), LEB size: 126976 bytes
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048/2048, sub-page size 2048
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: VID header offset: 2048 (aligned 2048), data offset: 4096
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: good PEBs: 64, bad PEBs: 0, corrupted PEBs: 0
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: user volume: 1, internal volumes: 1, max. volumes count: 128
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: max/mean erase counter: 95/35, WL threshold: 4096, image sequence number: 1725884149
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: available PEBs: 0, total reserved PEBs: 64, PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 4
Jan 1 00:00:02 kernel: ubi2: background thread "ubi_bgt2d" started, PID 411
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): background thread "ubifs_bgt2_0" started, PID 426
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): UBIFS: mounted UBI device 2, volume 0, name "nvram"
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): LEB size: 126976 bytes (124 KiB), min./max. I/O unit sizes: 2048 bytes/2048 bytes
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): FS size: 5840896 bytes (5 MiB, 46 LEBs), journal size 1396736 bytes (1 MiB, 11 LEBs)
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): reserved for root: 0 bytes (0 KiB)
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): media format: w4/r0 (latest is w4/r0), UUID 4B2A44DD-417E-46D8-97CE-24D278768884, small LPT model
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): un-mount UBI device 2
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: UBIFS (ubi2:0): background thread "ubifs_bgt2_0" stops
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: ubi2: detaching mtd10
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: ubi2: mtd10 is detached
Jan 1 00:00:03 kernel: init (1): drop_caches: 1
Jan 1 00:00:03 get_ext_phy_id: 0/1/0/0
Jan 1 00:00:03 jffs2: getting the information of jffs2
Jan 1 00:00:03 jffs2: mounting jffs2

2. Strange timestamps often appear in syslog.
syslog.png

Does anyone else have similar problems?

Thank you, RMerlin.;)

Dirty upgrade of RT-AX86U from 386.3_2 to 386.4.

1. Every time the router is turned on, the previous syslog will disappear. And the new syslog starts at a strange location, instead of "May 5 13:05:08 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1".

2. Strange timestamps often appear in syslog.
View attachment 38173

Does anyone else have similar problems?

Thank you, RMerlin.;)

Dirty upgrade of main router and mesh node (both 386.3_2) a few hours ago - smooth as ever. Rebooted both after about an hour and running fine.

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.47.55 AM.png

Well, ISP has dns.msftncsi.com blocked…any way to select an alternate? I haven’t messed with the commend line since it was removed so I might need a bit of help.

Well, ISP has dns.msftncsi.com blocked…any way to select an alternate? I haven’t messed with the commend line since it was removed so I might need a bit of help.

Just curious, what ISP?

Just off the top of my head, you can add a /jffs/configs/hosts.add file and add an entry for dns.msftncsi.com and point it to another site?? Also add and entry in dnsmask.conf.add to redirect to another location. Perhaps someone else may have a better solution.

GVTC…I’ll have to relearn how to access those router settings remotely. It was a lot easier when we had the command line box.

Why not reading the Change Log - would give you an answer BEFORE posting this questions... :oops:

So you better save the DHCP reservations before update and restore them in case there are issues in the conversion.
You can achieve a backup with the great script dhcpstaticlist.sh from @Xentrk - not sure if restore works with this updated DHCP handling - but at least you have a backup! :rolleyes:
I did read it, my understanding, from reading it was, as long as I do not revert it will cause no issues, I just wanted this clarifying.

Runs well on AC86U, no obvious issues. IPv6 disabled. I still believe something is wrong with Adaptive QoS in Asuswrt base. Most traffic goes to Net Control Packets, even file downloads. When I test different firmware versions I always apply the same settings for consistency. This is something new:

Untitled_4qos.png

Why not reading the Change Log - would give you an answer BEFORE posting this questions... :oops:

So you better save the DHCP reservations before update and restore them in case there are issues in the conversion.
You can achieve a backup with the great script dhcpstaticlist.sh from @Xentrk - not sure if restore works with this updated DHCP handling - but at least you have a backup! :rolleyes:
Or use YazDHCP which replaces the system with an importable and exportable CSV mechanism

PR3MIUM said : "time diff. had this one too but after a reset or reboot it was gone."

I tried to reboot by the power switch, but the problem was not solved.

Have you tried resetting the router? Can resetting the router solve this problem?

dns.msftncsi.com

can't this be turned off? we have been without it so far. a lot of unnecessary DNS requests.

Reactions: awn
PR3MIUM said : "time diff. had this one too but after a reset or reboot it was gone."

I tried to reboot by the power switch, but the problem was not solved.

Have you tried resetting the router? Can resetting the router solve this problem?
I have tried to reboot and It's still there.
I don't want to reset too many settings to restore.

Hi everyone ,
First of all : all my best wishes for 2022 ;-)
Sorry for my "novice" question , but I have "configurations" on many RT68U-AC in 386.3_2 and 384.19 that I don't want to loose . Usually I redo again conf from a factory reset (bad experiences long time ago with merlinwrt or Ddwrt with major upgrades) but it is quite long :-( ... specially for the VPN part and static routes and JFFS ...
When you say " Dirty upgrade" does it mean : "direct upgrade with new firmware and rules are keep safe and functionnal after upgrade ?" .

I will make a backup ( Administration > Restore/save/uload settings> save settings and save JFFS ) , but what should you suggest :
a- direct upgrade with firmware upgrade option and normally all should go well ?
or b - reset to factory default then upgrade then restore files settings and JFFS
or c- as usual : screenshot of each page and then manual reconfiguration :-( ( very boring )

Many thanks to all of you and especially for Merlin with this upgrade ;-)

(I am french so sorry for my poor english ;-) )

Last edited:
dns.msftncsi.com

can't this be turned off? we have been without it so far. a lot of unnecessary DNS requests.
Not anymore. Asus changed the way monitoring works, it can no longer be disabled.

The way WAN monitoring works is a bit similar to how Windows itself does. The router will try to resolve the hostname found in dns_probe_host, and make sure it matches one of the addresses found in dns_probe_content.

So for this to work, you need to ensure that:

1) Your router has working nameservers. That means on the WAN page you need to have DNS set to either automatic, or having at least one valid DNS configured. People who leave it to manual and keep both DNS1 and DNS2 empty will have issues - you MUST have at least one valid DNS configured
2) Some people (probably mostly IPv6 enabled users), make sure DNS Rebind is disabled on the WAN page, as some users have found it interferes with the test
3) Don't use a firewall/blacklist/whatever to block access to dns.msftncsi.com
4) People who used any kind of trick to prevent testing with dns.msftncsi.com in the past, these tricks no longer work, as monitoring MUST be working for the WAN state to be properly reported. So if you used any other kind of trick to prevent accessing this server, remove that trick.

Runs well on AC86U, no obvious issues. IPv6 disabled. I still believe something is wrong with Adaptive QoS in Asuswrt base. Most traffic goes to Net Control Packets, even file downloads. When I test different firmware versions I always apply the same settings for consistency. This is something new:

View attachment 38178
VPN traffic would be considered "Net Control Packets". So if you route your traffic through a VPN, that would be why.

Classification is looking normal for me.

1641146077086.png

144 days on RT-AX3000; dirty upgrade from 386.3_2 to 386.4. Everything works as expected. Rebooted after an hour for good measure. 12 hours later and no issues. Thanks Merlin!

dns_probe_host, dns_probe_content i typed 127.0.0.1 here and now there are no more dns.msftncsi.com dns requests or I don't see it in the log, otherwise i use unboundot.

Last edited:
VPN traffic would be considered "Net Control Packets". So if you route your traffic through a VPN, that would be why.

No VPN traffic, Linux Mint 20.2 iso download. It's okay though. Folks who actually use QoS will test further. Thank you!

dns_probe_host, dns_probe_content i typed 127.0.0.1 here and now there are no more dns.msftncsi.com dns requests or I don't see it in the log, otherwise i use unboundot.
It also means if your Internet connection goes down, your router will have no way of noticing it, and it won't make any attempt at reconnecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!