What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Known issues:

• Internet reported as disconnected
    Your Internet monitoring configuration is most likely incorrect. Reset it to its default settings by running these over SSH:

Code:
    nvram set dns_probe_content="131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1"
    nvram set dns_probe_host="dns.msftncsi.com"
    nvram commit

otherwise, the interesting thing is that if these values are empty you will still be connected to dns.msftncsi.com. where get this if these values are empty?

otherwise, the interesting thing is that if these values are empty you will still be connected to dns.msftncsi.com. where get this if these values are empty?
In beta 3 I made the router fallback to the default values if they are empty.

How can i enable wireguard menu in router admin panel?

I was install Wireguard session manager in AMTM but nothing happen

Many thanks for another great update ! Updating now.
M/w for installing adguardhome should i uninstall all futures for Diversion first ?

AX86U - "dirty" upgrade from latest Asus firmware. All seems to be working, except my phone is often complaining about "no internet connection", and switching to 5G. Internet is working fine though on other devices.

Noticed that when restarting VPN clients dnsmasq is crashing under 386.4 , no other changes to router other than upgrading f/w yesterday.
Code:
Jan  3 09:40:42 RT-AC86U notice rc_service: service 29817:notify_rc restart_vpnclient2
Jan  3 09:40:42 RT-AC86U notice custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart vpnclient2)
Jan  3 09:40:42 RT-AC86U notice custom_script: Running openvpn-event
Jan  3 09:40:43 RT-AC86U notice custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart vpnclient2)
Jan  3 09:40:43 RT-AC86U info kernel: potentially unexpected fatal signal 6.
Jan  3 09:40:43 RT-AC86U warning kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 16832 Comm: dnsmasq Tainted: P           O    4.1.27 #2
Any ideas where I can start looking to troubleshoot?

AX86U - "dirty" upgrade from latest Asus firmware. All seems to be working, except my phone is often complaining about "no internet connection", and switching to 5G. Internet is working fine though on other devices.
I have the same on my phone, but only when connected to 5Ghz. Mostly it refuses to connect ("Failed to connect to network"), and if it does it it mostly says "No internet connection". This started happening suddenly after I got my AX56U for about 7 days. Since then impossible to use 5Ghz on my phone. All other devices work perfectly fine.

I have the same on my phone, but only when connected to 5Ghz. Mostly it refuses to connect ("Failed to connect to network"), and if it does it it mostly says "No internet connection". This started happening suddenly after I got my AX56U for about 7 days. Since then impossible to use 5Ghz on my phone. All other devices work perfectly fine.
Does your phone do MAC address spoofing? Mine started to work more reliably on 5ghz APs after I set it to use its real MAC address in the advanced WiFi options in the phone's settings.

Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386.45934 had no such problems for me.. (random "no internet connection" notices). Connected to 5GHz as well.

I tried with MAC spoofing off but it made no difference. It's very strange as I had excellent 5ghz performance. I even did all my speed tests throughout the house to decide on the placement of my AX56u and then suddenly it stopped working alltogether a few days later. Even if it gets connected (very rarely possible) I get throughput of less than 1mbps, whereas it was 350+ while doing my speed tests. I also did not change FW when this started happening. I did start installing the betas and hope it would fix it but no luck. I don't have any issues on other 5ghz networks so kinda lost as to where the issue could be.

I tried with MAC spoofing off but it made no difference. It's very strange as I had excellent 5ghz performance. I even did all my speed tests throughout the house to decide on the placement of my AX56u and then suddenly it stopped working alltogether a few days later. Even if it gets connected (very rarely possible) I get throughput of less than 1mbps, whereas it was 350+ while doing my speed tests. I also did not change FW when this started happening. I did start installing the betas and hope it would fix it but no luck. I don't have any issues on other 5ghz networks so kinda lost as to where the issue could be.
Have you tried forcing it to a certain frequency, and leaving other 5ghz APs on Auto? Perhaps you've hit an edge case. I have only had one single device hate certain 5ghz frequencies (possibly something to do with what countries it was intended to operate in), but I did have that experience with an older phone. (My new ones are fine.) If it was on a good frequency when doing the speedtests, then hopped, that might explain it. Try it, and maybe you've hit the same rare compatibility issue?

Have you tried forcing it to a certain frequency, and leaving other 5ghz APs on Auto? Perhaps you've hit an edge case. I have only had one single device hate certain 5ghz frequencies (possibly something to do with what countries it was intended to operate in), but I did have that experience with an older phone. (My new ones are fine.) If it was on a good frequency when doing the speedtests, then hopped, that might explain it. Try it, and maybe you've hit the same rare compatibility issue?
I did try a few since I also received this suggestion on OnePlus forum but it did not help. I also forced the channel (56) as it was during my initial speedtests but no luck. I haven't tried switching off AX mode yet but that was also enabled from the beginning.

View attachment 38197

Load average is high - no ?
Quick Linux question - can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Are these percentages or core utilisation counts? My RT-AC3200 is normally fine, hovering around 0.15, but sometimes it bogs down when the number rises over 2. I had assumed that it was core utilisation, since I have a dual core router. (So 1 = 100% on 1 core.) Those above numbers would indicate that 2.75+ cores were fully utilised for 1/5/15 minutes. That is pretty extreme. That CPU load number is handy though, in that when there are too many tasks, it seems to rise above the core count, giving an idea of how badly bogged down things are. I have glimpsed numbers in the 5-10 range before the web interface stops responding. (When I was tinkering with Diversion and Skynet, I had that happen a couple of times. And when I had a bad/slow USB.)

Thankfully my RT-AX56U seems to be up to handling lots of scripts/addons.

Anyway, do I have that correct? :)

I did try a few since I also received this suggestion on OnePlus forum but it did not help. I also forced the channel (56) as it was during my initial speedtests but no luck. I haven't tried switching off AX mode yet but that was also enabled from the beginning.
Well, I am out of suggestions. You probably should try running AC only, just to find out for sure. I know for a lot of laptops with Intel WiFi chips, they all required driver updates for AX to work "properly". (May still have some glitches.) I doubt that your phone has WiFi driver updates. If AC mode works though, you'd most likely have your answer...

Good luck.

Dirty upgrade on my AC86 with 386.3_2 to 386.4. No issues everything working as expected.

One thing I keep hoping for with every upgrade is that an issue with WiFi radar would be resolved.

I use WiFi Radar to check which channels my neighbors are running their APs on so if necessary I can switch the channels I am using. What happens is that after I switch the channel on my AP, the WiFi Radar doesn't show the change. It continues to show the AP on the channel it originally saw the AP's SSID on. Starting stopping WiFi Radar, changing WiFi Radars settings, restarting the WiFi on the AC86 doesn't fix the issue. The only thing that works is to reboot the router.

Probably not something that can be fixed by Merlin as ASUS probably has the code in one of their locked blobs.

Many thanks to Merlin and a very Happy New Year to him!
This is an old issue even in stock.

Likewise using a DFS channel on the 5Ghz band doesn’t show any other SSID broadcasts - it only works when using a non-DFS channel

Noticed that when restarting VPN clients dnsmasq is crashing under 386.4 , no other changes to router other than upgrading f/w yesterday.
Code:
Jan  3 09:40:42 RT-AC86U notice rc_service: service 29817:notify_rc restart_vpnclient2
Jan  3 09:40:42 RT-AC86U notice custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart vpnclient2)
Jan  3 09:40:42 RT-AC86U notice custom_script: Running openvpn-event
Jan  3 09:40:43 RT-AC86U notice custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart vpnclient2)
Jan  3 09:40:43 RT-AC86U info kernel: potentially unexpected fatal signal 6.
Jan  3 09:40:43 RT-AC86U warning kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 16832 Comm: dnsmasq Tainted: P           O    4.1.27 #2
Any ideas where I can start looking to troubleshoot?
Working fine here:

Code:
Jan  3 11:25:14 rc_service: service 5057:notify_rc restart_vpnclient3
Jan  3 11:25:14 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart vpnclient3)
Jan  3 11:25:14 (service-event): 5058 Script not defined for service-event: servicerestart-vpnclient3
Jan  3 11:25:16 custom_script: Running openvpn-event
Jan  3 11:25:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart vpnclient3)
Jan  3 11:25:17 (service-event-end): 5338 Start service-event-end runningrestartvpnclient3

Working fine here:

Code:
Jan  3 11:25:14 rc_service: service 5057:notify_rc restart_vpnclient3
Jan  3 11:25:14 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart vpnclient3)
Jan  3 11:25:14 (service-event): 5058 Script not defined for service-event: servicerestart-vpnclient3
Jan  3 11:25:16 custom_script: Running openvpn-event
Jan  3 11:25:17 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: restart vpnclient3)
Jan  3 11:25:17 (service-event-end): 5338 Start service-event-end runningrestartvpnclient3
Seems to happen if you do it 3 or 4 times in a row. I've also noticed the same errors during boot up. I might have to finally reset and do a clean setup

Seems to happen if you do it 3 or 4 times in a row. I've also noticed the same errors during boot up. I might have to finally reset and do a clean setup
OK so, it only happens when service-event-end exists for me, even if it is empty. I found this by removing service-event openvpn-event and service-event-end and tested with each 1 at a time and restarting the vpn client. Very puzzling

@RMerlin are you aware of any interaction with dnsmasq/openvpn and service-event-end , even when the latter is an empty file (by emptying I mean a shebang and nothing else)?

Last edited:
All you should need to do is to clone the gateway/modem's MAC address to the router. Some ISPs have a list of "approved/verified devices" that may connect/authenticate with them.
Advanced Settings > WAN > Internet Connection > Special Requirement from ISP > MAC Address and hit the big clone button to populate that box
This is not what the MAC Clone button does. Clicking the button populates that field with the MAC address of the PC that you're currently using. If your ISP requires the MAC address of their gateway device (because you have bridged that device) you need to enter it manually. It will be the gateway's external MAC address not the internal address seen by the router. Trying to use the internal address is not a valid configuration.

Dirty upgrade to 386.4 on both routers went smooth. No problems detected (yet). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!