What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got home and found my wifi network was down again.

I don't know. Can't help you with advice since my own AC86U unit is not stable on this firmware. It's just one of the routers I play with, see About in my profile. I usually test new firmware on AC68U and AC86U routers because they are good examples of previous ARMv7 hardware and current ARMv8 HND hardware. Both are popular models with upright design - take less space on my desk. Roll back or use stock Asuswrt, it's stable.

The 384 upgrade worked fine for me. Having initially had the issue myself : (a return value of * after running: # nvram get dns_probe_content) and as @Matthew Patrick had previously posted below:

This was fully resolved for me by, right here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-is-now-available.76498/post-733106 so my thanks for the quick recognition and post

I ran a dirty upgrade from 384_Beta3, corrected the above ^^ then another re-boot and it's all good.

IPv6 DDNS is a non-functional item, as posted here by @RMerlin > inadyn: rc: disable IPv6 support <
It seems... that this will be added back in, once ASUS have corrected / updated it themselves, in theory... in their next GPL RC-3 release(s) which, will then be worked on & improved ;) by @RMerlin
In the midst of all the issues / problems / new FW is not working properly etc posts in this thread, very happy to confirm that my previous post ^ (from 5 days ago) is unchanged. Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 has run perfectly / without any issues, at all (for me) since that post, above. Thanks again @RMerlin Very much appreciated.

Something happened in the 2.4Ghz from Beta3 to Release code. My two problem 2.4GHz devices, EPSON 837 printer & LaCrosse Projection clock, I had to reset and re-establish again to the RT-AX88U AiMesh setup. Not had this occur on any of the prior Alpha or Beta dirty (filthy..) updates.
I use these settings for 2.4GHz...
  • Set “Protected Management Frames” to “Capable”
  • Set 2.4GHz Channel Bandwidth to “20MHz”. Control Channel = Auto
  • On 2.4GHz set “Bluetooth Coexistence” to “Enable”
  • Preamble Time (on 2.4 GHz only) = Short (older devices will require ‘Long’)
  • Disable settings Airtime Fairness & Universal Beamforming
A couple of times over last 2 years to sort WiFi things out, I use a different SSID on the RT-AX88U for some hours, then went back to the SSID I really want active. A tip I believe from @L&LD.
A similar issue happened to me today. The firmware was very solid during 4 days since the update.

Today suddenly all the 2.4GHz devices linked to one of my nodes (rt-ax88u) were disconnected. The 5GHz devices linked to this node were still connected and working properly. The 2.4Ghz devices linked to the main router (another rt-ax88u) and also the devices linked to another node (rt-ax58u) had no issues and remained connected and working Ok.

Rebooting the whole Aimesh system didn’t recover the 2.4Ghz for the rt-ax88u node. I also tried to power off the node for a while and then switch it on again … but the 2.4GHz for this node was not recovered. Only the 5GHz devices could connect to this node.

Finally I removed the node from the Aimesh System and I added it again. After doing this … the 2.4GHz was recovered at this node and all the 2.4GHz devices linked to this node were discovered and connected to it again.

I haven't noticed a single blip since my dirty upgrade from the alphas and betas.

More good work, RMerlin!

Dirty upgrade at the start of the week (from 386.3_2), everything looking good and no complaints from family.

One cosmetic issue issue with OpenVPN Server, it is working but showing as disconnected. I have IPv6 enabled (native, with DHCP-PD), I can see the IPv4 and IPv6 entries in the routing table, the client (Android phone) is connected but in the GUI I see
View attachment 38359

I have tried removing (setting to default) and re-creating, but this makes no difference.
I've had another similar report, but so far I'm unable to reproduce this. Are you connecting over IPv4 or IPv6?

Instant Guard is broken. Did full reset, didn't help. Any chance to get it back?
What router model? Also, define "broken".

It is not possible to use these with Bandwidth Limiter ?
No.

I've had another similar report, but so far I'm unable to reproduce this. Are you connecting over IPv4 or IPv6?

What router model? Also, define "broken".

No.

@RMerlin

I reported about the OpenVPN Status display issue on OpenVPN Server Page, in beta here:

I can confirm that the issue only happen when I am using IPv6; after disabling IPv6 and use only IPv4 there is no Status display issue on the OpenVPN Server Page. Thanks.

Living on the edge, I just completed yet another, and for the umpteenth time (it's been at least dozens of times), a "dirty" Merlin firmware upgrade from 386.3_2 to 386.4_0 on my now-really-ancient AC68U (Formerly known in this forum as "The Device Whose Name Shall be Banished Forever and Shall Never Again Be Spoken"). Thus far, and as anticipated, the results appear to be as before, namely, everything works as it should, including all of my wired and wireless devices being connected, usable, and accessible, including every TP-Link device, all of which are still happily doing what they are supposed to do. Life is good.

Last edited:
I can confirm that the issue only happen when I am using IPv6; after disabling IPv6 and use only IPv4 there is no Status display issue on the OpenVPN Server Page. Thanks.
That would explain why. I will have to do an IPv6 test setup to further investigate.

AX88/386.4_0 (Clean upgrade): I have over twenty TP-Link devices and am not having any problems. Did you set your 2.4 GHz channel manually? If you have AImesh do you have Roaming enabled (it helps when things get reset), and of course airtime fairness and universal beam should be disabled.

HI Elmer,

What model bulbs are you using? If newer than mine, maybe I'll upgrade them all so I can use the newer firmware. Also, are you running yours in a guest network? Did you change any other settings on the 2.4 ghz radio?

I have tried both the 2.4ghz channel on both auto and channel 6 (least congested channel) and and could not get any of the bulbs to stay connected. No AImesh activated, only one AX88U router in my house. I tried turning off universal beamforming and airtime fairness and it did not help. Ironically, all my bulbs work with 386.3.2 with both Airtime fairness and universal beam forming enabled.

@CLK had the same problem as me and can only get his bulbs to connect if he sets his 2.4ghz wireless mode to legacy which would not work for me given the bandwidth limitations for non IOT devices.

Since the issue seems to be largely tied to TP-Link, I wouldn't be so sure that the fault lies in the router itself.

Long ago, following a wireless driver update on the RT-N66U, XBox started having connectivity issues. The fault was actually caused by the new wifi driver adding support for an error correction method, and support for that method was actually broken on the XBox. This led to the addition of the XBox-related setting which disabled this new feature. The actual fault was with the XBox, not the wifi driver.

EDIT: seems that connectivity issues is an old problem with these TP-Link light bulbs.

HI Merlin,

Thank you for the forward for the old TP-LINK issue. I never experienced it until 386.4 or the latest factory firmware and have been using them on an AX88U as well as a AC88U before I went WIFI 6. At least back to 2014 or so....

It is possible the issue relies in the bulbs... just wish it was not the firmware update that manifested the problem for me :). The weird part is no issues with my old TP-LINK wireless Light switches... only the bulbs.

I am going to try upgrading again of the weekend with WMM APSD disabled and see if that fixes the issue.

-Mike

HI Merlin,

Thank you for the forward for the old TP-LINK issue. I never experienced it until 386.4 or the latest factory firmware and have been using them on an AX88U as well as a AC88U before I went WIFI 6. At least back to 2014 or so....

It is possible the issue relies in the bulbs... just wish it was not the firmware update that manifested the problem for me :). The weird part is no issues with my old TP-LINK wireless Light switches... only the bulbs.

I am going to try upgrading again of the weekend with WMM APSD disabled and see if that fixes the issue.

-Mike
Have you looked for firmware upgrades for your bulbs? People in that thread resolved the problem that way in the past.

That would explain why. I will have to do an IPv6 test setup to further investigate.
I noticed that there are some IPv6 fixes in new Stock Firmware... not sure it is related to this issue.

ASUS RT-AX58U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47029
1. Fix IPv6+ related issues.
2. Firewall supports IPv6 list.
3. Fix the case of some ISP only can get the private IPv6 address.
4. Minor GUI bug fixes.

I just got home and found my wifi network was down again.
5ghz was dead, and 2.4 ghz was showing zero bars.

Not sure what to look for in the syslog, but I see things like this:
Jan 6 15:17:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth6: Deauth_ind 18:4E:16:47:F2:42, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:-86

A reboot always brings it back to working order.
I gave up on my AC86U in the end, no matter what settings, resets or firmware it would keep dropping the wifi within a few days, 4 or 5 if I was lucky but usually less than 2 days. Switched it out to an AX88U and used the AC86U for AiMesh thinking it may be more stable if it wasn't doing so much but still dropping wifi every few days so gave up on it. Does seem that there may have been some quality issues on the AC86U since they either seem to be great and reliable (such as my previous AC68 or the current AX88 which were\are really stable) or just a right pita no matter what you do.

Oops, sorry for less info.
What router model? Also, define "broken"
AX86U, not S. Broken means its enabled, android app successfully see the router but connection does not work at all, trying to connect in ages, then fails by timeout.

As a fix tried to do full reset incl jffs. Didn't help, still timeout.

Here is the instant guard log:
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[DMN] Starting IKE charon daemon (strongSwan 5.7.2, Linux 4.1.52, aarch64)
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[KNL] unable to set IPSEC_POLICY on socket: Operation not supported (95)
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[NET] installing IKE bypass policy failed
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[KNL] unable to set IPSEC_POLICY on socket: Operation not supported (95)
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loading ca certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/cacerts'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loaded ca certificate "C=TW, O=ASUS, CN=ASUS RT-AX86U Root CA" from '/etc/ipsec.d/cacerts/asusCert.pem'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loading aa certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/aacerts'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loading ocsp signer certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/ocspcerts'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loading attribute certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/acerts'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loading crls from '/etc/ipsec.d/crls'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[CFG] loading secrets from '/etc/ipsec.secrets'
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[LIB] loaded plugins: charon aes des rc2 sha2 sha1 md4 md5 random nonce x509 revocation constraints acert pubkey pkcs1 pkcs7 pkcs8 pkcs12 pgp dnskey sshkey pem openssl fips-prf curve25519 agent xcbc cmac hmac attr kernel-netlink resolve socket-default stroke vici updown eap-identity eap-md5 eap-mschapv2 eap-tls eap-peap xauth-generic counters
Jan 6 20:36:38 00[JOB] spawning 8 worker threads
Jan 6 20:36:38 05[CFG] received stroke: add connection 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:36:38 05[CFG] adding virtual IP address pool 10.2.1.0/24
Jan 6 20:36:38 05[CFG] added configuration 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:36:39 07[CFG] received stroke: delete connection 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:36:39 07[CFG] deleted connection 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:36:39 05[CFG] received stroke: add connection 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:36:39 05[CFG] reusing virtual IP address pool 10.2.1.0/24
Jan 6 20:36:39 05[CFG] added configuration 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] rereading secrets
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] loading secrets from '/etc/ipsec.secrets'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] loaded IKE secret for %any
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] loaded EAP secret for 5c29f0b8f7af4ecbaa6b9375fbf07b24
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] loaded RSA private key from '/etc/ipsec.d/private/svrKey.pem'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] loaded EAP secret for 5c29f0b8f7af4ecbaa6b9375fbf07b24
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] rereading ca certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/cacerts'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] loaded ca certificate "C=TW, O=ASUS, CN=ASUS RT-AX86U Root CA" from '/etc/ipsec.d/cacerts/asusCert.pem'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] rereading aa certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/aacerts'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] rereading ocsp signer certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/ocspcerts'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] rereading attribute certificates from '/etc/ipsec.d/acerts'
Jan 6 20:41:33 07[CFG] rereading crls from '/etc/ipsec.d/crls'
Jan 6 20:41:34 05[CFG] received stroke: delete connection 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:41:34 05[CFG] deleted connection 'android_xauth_psk'
Jan 6 20:41:34 08[CFG] received stroke: add connection 'Host-to-Net'
Jan 6 20:41:34 08[CFG] adding virtual IP address pool 10.10.10.0/24
Jan 6 20:41:34 08[CFG] added configuration 'Host-to-Net'
Jan 6 20:41:34 05[CFG] received stroke: add connection 'Host-to-Netv2'
Jan 6 20:41:34 05[CFG] reusing virtual IP address pool 10.10.10.0/24
Jan 6 20:41:34 05[CFG] loaded certificate "C=TW, O=ASUS, CN=xxx.asuscomm.com" from 'svrCert.pem'
Jan 6 20:41:34 05[CFG] added configuration 'Host-to-Netv2'

Check your DHCP reservations. I helped out a chap in another forum with a similar issue (dnsmasq was failing). Turned out the conversion left a space in one of the host names and DNSMASQ was taking a fit about it.
This worked for me also, syslog showed dnsmasq taking an absolute fit on my 68u. Deleted all my IP table reservations and run the update again and everything was good. Thanks for this.

Hello,
I tried to install the the 386.4 yesterday but once done my pc (lenovo ideapad yoga with Realtek RTL8723AU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter) could not find the wifi network. I mean it was not even visible on the list of available networks. My phone and tablet worked normally. Any idea why or how to fix this? Reverting to the previous firmware version fixed the problem for now but I would still like to use the latest one available. Yes I know this laptop is like 9 years old but I am sure there are many old devices out there still being used. This is asus rt-ax68u.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!