What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work Merlin

Upgraded from previous stable. All works perfect but torrent app does not work. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall but still it does not work.

Apparently the software installation works fine and I can that the software is running but when I connect to port 8081 I get an error.

Any idea ?

Regards

Alan

Neither is enabled at the moment. Do I have to add something in the fields below? (Resolve Hostname/IP Addresses)
On mine it automatically propagates when selecting dns

to

Resolve hostname : dns.msftncsi.com

Resolved IP addresss: 131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

That said I just checked both those IPS, the first resolves as Microsoft, which is of no concern, the second resolves as China Mobile. The last seems to be an ipv6 address.
Can anyone explain this ? - think I worked this out, these are router defaults, although I don't know why that would include a china mobile ip.

Having done a bit more research, I am now not sure if this is relevant to our internet not connecting after reloading settings. I found an old post of Merlins who says this option is to do with Dual Wan Setups.

I'm begining to think the only way might be manually re doing all settings. Oh what a pleasure.

Last edited:
Oh man, 'fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1' is an ULA address (similar to local ip addresses in ipv4).
That's BAD! An internet dns lookup should never resolve to to an ULA address, that's correctly marked as a 'DNS rebind attack' by the router.
What is Microsoft doing here? Or is it ASUS? It's definitely wrong.

On mine it automatically propagates when selecting dns

to

Resolve hostname : dns.msftncsi.com

Resolved IP addresss: 131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1

That said I just checked both those IPS, the first resolves as Microsoft, which is of no concern, the second resolves as China Mobile. The last seems to be an ipv6 address.
Can anyone explain this ? - think I worked this out, these are router defaults, although I don't know why that would include a china mobile ip.

Having done a bit more research, I am now not sure if this is relevant to our internet not connecting after reloading settings. I found an old post of Merlins who says this option is to do with Dual Wan Setups.

I'm begining to think the only way might be manually re doing all settings. Oh what a pleasure.

Hi,
RT-AX88U = Upgraded from 386.3_2 to 386.4 + Reset WPS + Format JFFS partition + complete reconfiguration = everything works fine for now. Internet connection OK, MAC filtering with OnePlus smarphone OK, Wifi printer OK.
And unlike other users, the status "internet connected" is well present and without display bug on the main page. Everything is very stable.

The only thing different I just saw is that in the routing table there are two extra lines :
Can you explain to me what they are ?

that was my first problem after a dirty flash to 386.4 from beta.
option to formating the JFFS fixed everything (within the 386.4) + complete reconfig.
coming from a earlier build i would recommend this step even when its a pain in the *** to reconfig. all.

route flags (U-up, G-gateway, H-host) for cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

TL;DR: After a power loss, Entware installation and all my user scripts on the USB were gone. Had to reinstall them all.

I installed 386.4 over 386.4 beta 2 a week ago and everything were running smoothly. After an unexpected power loss the other day (power line damaged by construction workers), I noticed that my router was not running any of the scripts on the USB, as well as the Entware. WAN connection was there, all the settings were the same but none of the scripts were executed and add-ons tab was missing. So, I rebooted the router via GUI to fix issues but to no avail.

Trying to SSH into the router threw an "SSH key/fingerprint does not match" error, so I've manually edited my ./ssh/known_hosts and after that I was able to connect to router without a problem. Once I got connected, ran "amtm" and none of the scripts were there, it was like I was trying to install scripts to a vanilla Merlin firmware.

I've installed all the scripts one by one, starting with Diversion which read the backup files successfully, and now everything is back to normal even after a couple of reboots (via GUI).

Sadly, I don't have the log files for when the incident occurred but I'm pretty sure USB is not the cause.

My network is simple: Several LAN Devices -> AX58U (Router Mode) -> DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Bridged) -> The Internet

Just wanted to share my experience to see if anyone had the same issue.

PS: Thank you RMerlin for your hard work.
The problem of missing plugins, I also encountered it in 386.3.2. What was missing at the time was FlexQoS 1.2.5.

Hi,

I've done a dirty upgrade on a Asus RT-AC66U B1 router six and a half days ago from firmware 386.3_2 to 386.4_0 from a remote location using openvpn.

About five days ago I've done a dirty upgrade on my Asus RT-AC68U with HW ver. A1 router from 386.4_beta1 to 386.4_0 from the premises. I also used 386.4_alpha2 and both 386.4_alpha3s on this router, all dirty upgrades one after the other from 386.3_2. I didn't use the other betas because I was away from the router and didn't want to risk losing connection to it's lan by doing a remote update and when I got back, 386.4_0 was already released.
Just as a side note, when I updated to 386.4_alpha2, my SanDisk Ultra Flair 3.0 32GB flash drive, that I used for some scripts and swap, died. It served me a good 3 years and 2 moths and it still has until 5 years of warranty, but since it failed in the best way possible, by being set to read-only mode, I thought that for $7 (19% VAT included) I should just get another one and I did, but not before five days ago, when updating to 386.4_0.

Since I live alone now and have only a wired desktop and an iPhone 6 as a WiFi device, I didn't "catch" the 2.4 GHz WiFi problem, since the phone was connected to WiFi, on 5 GHz, and I didn't investigated on which frequency it was connecting. I have no other WiFi equipment. Edit: Total brain fart on my part, I have a smart tv which has dual band WiFi 4, but which I don't keep connected to the network, I only use it via HDMI.

After reading through this thread and seeing the multiple reports on 2.4 GHz WiFi not working I decided to investigate and indeed it isn't working for me also (i.e. my iPhone 6 cannot connect to it). Strangely, my sister's Asus RT-AC661 B1, which I updated remotely and which uses the same firmware as my Asus RT-AC68U, doesn't seem to have this problem, at least not with the clients she's using, a Motorola mobile phone (don't know the exact model, E6 play or something like this) which only has 2.4 GHz WiFi and an old Toshiba laptop (with a Core2duo cpu) which I believe is only 2.4 GHz capable as well. Other phone and laptop are 5 GHz capable and should work at least on this frequency.

I tried many different thing, short of resetting my network setting on the iPhone (which may very well have solved the problems, but for not wanting to lose the various saved WiFi profiles I didn't do) and couldn't make the phone connect to 2.4 GHz WiFi. I've rebooted the phone and forgot the WiFi network, also used a different SSID and password on the router but to no avail, it doesn't connect.
On the router (always using 20 MHz, channel 1, WPA2-Personal and 3600 seconds group key rotation interval) besides the aforementioned different SSID and password, I've tried: Wireless Mode: Auto, Legacy and N-only; disable 11b option (which once enabled I could not disable, unchecking the box and hitting Apply button would result in the checkbox returning); Protected Management Frames: Disable, Capable (the setting that I'm using); Preamble type: Short and Long; DTIM interval: default of 3, tried 4, 50; Modulation scheme: MCS7 and MCS9; Airtime Fairness, Explicit Beamforming and Universal Beamforming: Enabled and Disabled.
I also tried cold booting the router, resetting the settings, formatting jffs and the usb flash drive (all further tests were done without the flash drive connected). I reset the settings both from WebUI and by holding WPS button from a cold start until power led started blinking.
After rebooting with all settings wiped, the phone would connect to the default, open "ASUS" ssid; but as soon as I changed it in the WebUI wizzard, so just a different ssid and with a password, it would no longer work.
Tried older firmware 386.3_2 and 386.2_4 (just to see the wireless drivers) and both worked.

I also tried the two latest stock firmwares, version 3.0.0.4.386.45934 from 2021-11-16 and version 3.0.0.4.386.45987 from 2021-12-16, WPS resetting every time, also cold booting. The former, 386.45934, exhibits the same behavior as 386.4_0, which is the iPhone could not connect, while with the latter, 386.45987, the iPhone can connect once again.

I've downgraded my Asus RT-AC68U to 386.3_2, restored the setting, restored jffs partition, plugged in the usb flash drive, rebooted and waiting on the next alpha once RMerlin receives an updated gpl from Asus and has time to merge it and compile it.

Edit: I've upgraded to 386.4_0 again to test using the smart tv and the phone and long story short now I can reliably connect both the tv and the iPhone to the 2.4 GHz WiFi as long as Disable 11b is not checked. If I check it and hit Apply, I cannot uncheck it from WebUI, as I previously said, but it can be done from the terminal:
Code:
nvram set wl_rateset=default
nvram set wl0_rateset=default
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

With Disable 11b checked, the two nvram variables are set to ofdm; I checked the Asus RT-AC66U B1 and it has the two variables set to default.
I don't know how my earlier tests failed since after a reset these variables are set to default, but nevertheless they did.
These are the settings I use now for 2.4 GHz:

2.4General.png

2.4Professional.png

Edit 2: I've made a new post here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-is-now-available.76498/post-736147.

Thank you RMerlin for your efforts!

Last edited:
that was my first problem after a dirty flash to 386.4 from beta.
option to formating the JFFS fixed everything (within the 386.4) + complete reconfig.
coming from a earlier build i would recommend this step even when its a pain in the *** to reconfig. all.

route flags (U-up, G-gateway, H-host) for cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
I also do this procedure for every new update (update, WPS reset, JFFS format, total reconfiguration) even though it takes longer but at least everything works perfectly in the end !
Thanks, so the two extra lines are normal and new in the routing table? I am using the two cloudflare dns well. But in version 386.3_2 these two lines did not appear... So I take this as a normal operation and a new indication.

I also do this procedure for every new update (update, WPS reset, JFFS format, total reconfiguration) even though it takes longer but at least everything works perfectly in the end !
Thanks, so the two extra lines are normal and new in the routing table? I am using the two cloudflare dns well. But in version 386.3_2 these two lines did not appear... So I take this as a normal operation and a new indication.

37.x.x.x over vpn/pptp instead of cloudflare.

1.jpg

The routing entries are for WAN DNS so that they are accessible even when a VPN client is enabled.

Dirty flashed - poor performance for me.
Clean flashed/erase nvram ect .... All seems to be working well.

6 Days plus uptime with the release...Nice, Merlin!!

Some but not all (and I don't have an accurate list to share, sorry).

DFS channel isn't used on the second radio.
That's strange, the screenshot and Wifi log low level details would seem to indicate otherwise?

SSID: "hancockvfa2"
noise: -87 dBm Channel: 40/160
BSSID: F0:2F:74:xx:xx:xx Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 50 160MHz (0xe932)
Primary channel: 40
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-31
Supported VHT MCS:
NSS1 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS2 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS3 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS4 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
160 Mhz:

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode : AP Only

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 20850ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 40/160 (0xE932)

Channel Information
----------------------------------------
Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive

Stations List
----------------------------------------
idx MAC Associated Authorized RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
FC:34:97:xx:xx:xx Yes Yes -59dBm ax No Yes Yes Yes 4 160M 2594.1M 2177.8M 00:00:10

SSID: "hancockvfa3"
noise: -89 dBm Channel: 112/80
BSSID: F0:2F:74:xx:xx:xx Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 106 80MHz (0xe36a)
Primary channel: 112
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-31
Supported VHT MCS:
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
160 Mhz:

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode : AP Only

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 480900ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 112/80 (0xE36A)
1641667316755.png

AX88/386.4_0: The bulbs are KL-130. One is about 10 yards from the house. I do not use guest. I do use an AImesh, and looking at connections, it shows most are connected to an AC68 mesh station and an AC88 mesh station. So that could very well be the difference. I also have in wall switches HS200/HS220, along with a variety of plugs (HS100/HS105/HS107/KP400). Some of those are connected to AX88, but others to the mesh. While the TP-Links are fairly stable, I am having problems with Amazon Echoes often not reconnecting.
Thanks Elmer,

I just bought a KL130 and KL135 to try. All my bulbs are much older. Hopefully that will fix the bulb situation but I recently noticed that my new smart air purifier also does not work with 386.4. Hopefully the ASUS beta mentioned by @bbq will eventually fix our issues.

-Mike

That's strange, the screenshot and Wifi log low level details would seem to indicate otherwise?
In your earlier screenshot you were using 149/80 which isn't in the DFS range (in the US). Now you're using 112/80 which is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!