What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 39 IoT devices and have never had an issue with my two AC86U or my 1900P I used to use.

I was hopeful when I saw "A number of fixes and improvements were implemented in Traditional QoS"
But it doesn't seem those fixes had anything to do with the LAN to LAN throttling when traditional QOS or Cake is enabled on the AX86U.

I know the AC86U and AX68U doesn't throttle LAN transfers with Cake, I wonder if the AX88U does, maybe its the CPU architecture.

Dirty upgrade to Beta 1 from Alpha 2 on an RT-AX86U and RTAX88U in what was the fastest double upgrade I've ever done (Alpha 2 was only on them for an hour or so before the Beta announcement came out). No issues thus far, looking great!

I know, it's the same code as Alpha 2 with only a version bump, but my OCD got the better of me. Had to distract the missus from the internet twice in the process, LOL! Bonus: she made homemade garlic focaccia. :D

I'm guessing it was the AX models only. I run an RT-AC86U and don't have any IoT devices so I didn't pay too much attention to those discussions. The only 2.4 device I have that's ever given me trouble (constant disconnects) is a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner and I always figured that was an issue with range rather than the router's wi-fi driver.
If anything, the AC86U has been particularly affected.

What is also strange, is that unlike the other Asus routers, the AC86 has not received any new official firmware update on the 386_46** codebase yet.

Last edited:
Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V386.5_alpha2-g4fa87261ad to V386.5_beta1 via dirty firmware upgrade. 40+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, many IOT devices, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers. Still postponing adding RT-AX58U with V386.5 XXX into AiMesh 2.0, until Guest Network #01 issue is fixed, as Guest network is #01, and IOT devices is #02 currently in my setup.

Ac68u. It’s not the v4 model. Sense the firmware got bigger in size, it always fails to upgrade unless I factory reset the router before.

skynet, diversion, unbound, scmerlin and a 10gb swap file was my setup each time. I also tried unmounting usb before upgrade and it would still fail unless I factory reset it.

this time I got it setup with just skynet, diversion and 2gb swap file.

fingers crossed next update I don’t have to factory reset before it upgrades.

not complaining, just letting you know if it’s a bug or prob something I’m doing wrong ?
Thanks

Edit: and also will add it use to sit around 60 percent ram used if that matters ?

I'm guessing it was the AX models only. I run an RT-AC86U and don't have any IoT devices so I didn't pay too much attention to those discussions. The only 2.4 device I have that's ever given me trouble (constant disconnects) is a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner and I always figured that was an issue with range rather than the router's wi-fi driver.

There were a fair number that reported problems in the 386.4 release forum as well as on TPLINK site. Not sure if its AX only but could be.

Dirty upgrade for me, on my RT-AC68U, from 386.5 Alpha 2 to 386.5 Beta 1 (after only a very short time enjoying Alpha 2 :D). All good. No errors or issues just like the previous Alpha 2 release.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 Beta is now available. This release introduces support for the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000 (both were originally planned for 386.4, but wifi issues with their GPLs forced both, to be delayed). This also merges with Asus's 386_46065 GPL code, and fixes a few issues.

The highlights:
  • Merged with GPL 386_46065 (note that a number of its security fixes were already present in 386.4)
  • Added support for the RT-AC68U V4. Just like with the original Asus firmware, support is implemented in a combined firmware image that supports both the older and newer models. That image might not work properly however when using Firmware Recovery Mode, in which case people should use a version older than 386.5.
  • Added support for the GT-AXE11000 (without its ROG UI or VPN Fusion).
  • Dnsmasq was reverted back to 2.85 in an attempt to improve its stability
  • Avahi was updated to 0.8, and a few additional fixes were backported, which should resolve the incrementing hostname on some setups
  • Miniupnpd was upgraded to 2.3.0.
  • Fixed netatalk failing to load its modules, which was breaking Time Machine
  • A number of fixes and improvements were implemented in Traditional QoS
  • And a few other minor fixes and improvements, please view the changelog for more details

Things in need of testing:
  • Everything on the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000
  • Traditional QoS
  • Time Machine on HND models

Please keep discussions on the topic of this specific beta release. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the moment.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Other than the fact that the RT-AC68U V4 survived a flashing of the beta firmware and subsequent factory reset, is there anything else in particular you would want us to be fine tooth comb testing, like the wireless for instance? any quirks we are to be looking for that you feel might exist with this newer model revision?

The wireless seems to be working okay. I haven't had any issues with QoS either.

Does the Asus version represent the GPL version? Wanting to know if the GPL in this version Is newer or older the the asus firmware for the AX58. Asus version 3.0.0.4.386_47029-g38ccf74.

Ac68u. It’s not the v4 model. Sense the firmware got bigger in size, it always fails to upgrade unless I factory reset the router before.
Unrelated. Httpd only transfers the first half of the firmware, ignoring the second half, so temp memory usage is the same as before.

Other than the fact that the RT-AC68U V4 survived a flashing of the beta firmware and subsequent factory reset, is there anything else in particular you would want us to be fine tooth comb testing, like the wireless for instance?
Just general usage, nothing really specific. Wireless Log, Trend Micro-related features, LED control while disabling them, etc... I generally ignore most wifi-related feedback because Wifi is outside of my control anyway, so unless it's completely not working, it's going to be what it's going to be.
Does the Asus version represent the GPL version? Wanting to know if the GPL in this version Is newer or older the the asus firmware for the AX58. Asus version 3.0.0.4.386_47029-g38ccf74.
Asus's current 4xxxx series are all from the same code branch, so they are linear in time, while the 5xxxx series are from a separate branch developed in parallel.

Upgraded 386.5 Alpha 2 to 386.5 Beta (after only one day...) on my AC86U.

Noticed that the WAN IP is an internal 192.168.x.y address on the main page (instead of the external address), which makes sense, because I have a double NAT, since I recently upgraded to Fiber and need their modem in front of my ASUS router. I guess I did not notice this before (for example when installing Alpha 2 yesterday), since it somehow stuck out now... (Or has this changed?)
I have AT&T Fiber modem in front of my Router and put the AT&T modem/router into passthrough mode and now get the external IP address on my Asus. You might check if you have similar option.

Other than the fact that the RT-AC68U V4 survived a flashing of the beta firmware and subsequent factory reset, is there anything else in particular you would want us to be fine tooth comb testing, like the wireless for instance? any quirks we are to be looking for that you feel might exist with this newer model revision?

The wireless seems to be working okay. I haven't had any issues with QoS either.
FWIW Wireless performance, is noticeably much better (for me anyway) when using 385.* than it was in when using 384.* on my router, which is probably due to the new wireless drivers which were part of the GPL 386_46065 release - plus any of Merlin's ancillary tweaks too? Overall, this firmware (on my router) definitely appears to be rock solid and very effective, compared to some of the previous releases. Very happy with it.

The only item that I'm watching, which would appear will not be covered in this release, even when it moves from a Beta to an Official release, is IPv6 DDNS 'cos AFAIK ;) Asus themselves still haven't yet, produced an effective and firm fix for this & released it as part of any GPL. @RMerlin will no doubt advise in due course.

First time upgrading to a beta version of Merlin on AX88U. Developing confidence in the integrity of the firmware I suppose. Dirty upgrade from 386.4 to 386.5 beta 1 with no problems taking only 3 minutes. All stable and working after reboot.

First "invalid firmware" on my AX11000. Out of curiosity, I successfully installed the lastest stock firmware, then successfully went back and re-installed 386.4, but still no on 386.5 from there... Guess I'll factory reset tomorrow. Feck

First "invalid firmware" on my AX11000. Out of curiosity, I successfully installed the lastest stock firmware, then successfully went back and re-installed 386.4, but still no on 386.5 from there... Guess I'll factory reset tomorrow. Feck
Verify it downloaded correctly using the md5 key. I installed it on mine without issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!