What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT 2: Not sure if a neat coincidence or by design, but the WAN DNS UI change picked up that I was using Quad9 and set that as the assignment.

View attachment 42065
Thanks for your observation I hadn't noticed the change.
Mine has the address of my RPi, which is running Pi-hole, etc.

FW Release working well in my environment!

Last edited:
ETA: Removed Diversion, added AdGuard, working great, even w/ Unbound. Same issues as before though, can JFFS or something else stick after a format and factory reset? I really have no idea what it is unless its something buried in the wireless and other updates.

Yes it can get stuck and also resized/aligned. Max size is 48 as far as I know (prior and alpha and beta) but today I checked and MAX SIZE was 47 ???

So I don't know what others are experiencing.

Reformatting this area clears glitches. You should be able to back up the settings, then wipe and restore from backup.

Last edited:
Yes it can get stuck and also resized/aligned. Max size is 48 as far as I know (prior and alpha and beta) but today I checked and MAX SIZE was 47 ???

So I don't know what others are experiencing.

Reformatting this area clears glitches. You should be able to back up the settings, then wipe and restore from backup.

Mine says 63, with only 5 MB used. I wiped it a few days ago when I factory reset the router to try and get this firmware to work.

Mine says 63, with only 5 MB used. I wiped it a few days ago when I factory reset the router to try and get this firmware to work.

@RMerlin : I thought JFFS partition size was the same among all models.
Do some have larger max sizes?
Why was it max size 48 before the final release and now it's 47?

JFFS from 48 to 47 6.26.2022.JPG

Thanks for your observation I hadn't noticed the change.
Mine has the address of my RPi, which is running Pi-hole, etc.

FW Release working well in my environment!
You Pi-hole your WAN? Tsk tsk tsk. ;)

Rolling back to previous release (386.5_2) on my RT-AC86U. Did a dirty upgrade first and multiple instances of the router locking up, and reporting "failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60 s)".

Factory reset, wiped and restored jiffs, and still the same thing again and again. checking space via "df -h" and "free" reported tons of free space, and memory.

Below are stats from the router while it was throwing "failed to write" errors before power-cycling and downgrading.

Code:
asusadmin@RT-AC86U-7868:/tmp/home/root# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        440356     354240      86116       2156          0      43028
-/+ buffers/cache:     311212     129144
Swap:            0          0          0
asusadmin@RT-AC86U-7868:/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs         77.2M     65.7M     11.5M  85% /
devtmpfs                214.9M         0    214.9M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   215.0M    228.0K    214.8M   0% /var
tmpfs                   215.0M      1.7M    213.3M   1% /tmp/mnt
mtd:bootfs                4.4M      3.3M      1.1M  75% /bootfs
tmpfs                   215.0M      1.7M    213.3M   1% /tmp/mnt
mtd:data                  8.0M    556.0K      7.5M   7% /data
tmpfs                   215.0M      1.7M    213.3M   1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9           47.0M     15.6M     31.4M  33% /jffs

Things have always been stable on 386.5_2 so going back to it for now. Had upgraded it last Thursday, and since then (about 3-4 days) it has locked up completely with errors probably 5-6 times....sometimes lasting a day, or most recently, about 4 hours.

Nothing, IPv6 Prefix Delegation was broken before now it is fixed.
Your ISP gives you a /48 WAN prefix which is 64K /64 subnets(18 quintillion IP addresses per /64) for use on your LAN, the GUI displays only 1 of those /64 subnets.

A /64 prefix is the standard size used with IPv6 Prefix Delegation, anything larger(/60 /56 /48) and you are talking about subnets of /64.

Right now it is a manual process it needs to be scripted but not too difficult to setup, due to asus not having a GUI for it.

Nothing was dropped just fixed.
What aspect was broken? Or what does the patch really achieve? The PD request was “auto” before the patch (size 0), but it seems it does not help the router at all to request and receive a larger prefix. Was it wrong to assign a /60 to br0 before the patch? I only received a /64 from my ISP by default before this patch, so never had a problem before. Now I request a /60 just for fun, but can’t easily use it.

I’ve started reading RFC 7368 just for education, since knowledge is sparse on these forums.

Removed USB dirty updated from 386.5_2, waited, rebooted.
All seemed working flawlessly until I realized 2.4Ghz devices were not connected to AC86U.
None of my devices can see Wifi 2.4Ghz.

I will do full reset and start over if I can't find a solution.

Wow seems like many people are having issues with this latest build. My AX58U is rocking just fine no problems i can tell and nothing in the logs out of the usual. Strange i do believe there is a 386.7 1 forth coming. Bump revision to 386.7_1

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m seeing better Wi-Fi performance with AX86U on the new Asuswrt, but the wireless drivers are perhaps also newer.

Was the patch discussed anywhere besides the commit? I can see where a /64 is the smallest you would assign, but why not larger?

I suspect it's "general convention/best practices/common knowledge" that a /64 is the size of a subnet, just like there are 255 addresses in IPv4. It's like Christopher Columbus coming to the new world with all the empty land

@dave14305 dug into it to find the ACTUAL answer: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ow-available-for-all-models.79450/post-771910

Last edited:
It's like Christopher Columbus coming to the new world with all the empty land

Isn't that revisionist history. I'm assuming sarcasm but...

Thanks and sorry: I now realized I know nothing on IPv6! Eh eh
I seem to recall giving you a waypoint to the beginning of your journey...it seems time to use it, wouldn't you agree?

I've been struggling with 5GHz WiFi reboots in my RT-AX88u all evening today. There are also some errors with KERNEL entries in the log. most likely me will have to roll back to the previous version. There are no problems with ax86u, ax58u and ax56u.

This firmware's also working well here with the GT-AX6000, no problems. In fact, I'm very impressed with the stability of my router using 160MHz. channel width. I'm sure that this is related at least in part to my location, but last time I tried it, my router slowed down and was much less stable. So I'm extra happy with this firmware version *smile*.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with 5GHz WiFi reboots in my RT-AX88u all evening today. There are also some errors with KERNEL entries in the log. most likely me will have to roll back to the previous version. There are no problems with ax86u, ax58u and ax56u.
After many hours of no log spamming, I too am being smashed with many ‘Console’ entries.
Operationally, everything seems fine though, wifi/everything good.
If I didn’t look at the log, I wouldn’t be aware of any issue.

I’m seeing better Wi-Fi performance with AX86U on the new Asuswrt, but the wireless drivers are perhaps also newer.
I’ve seen the same improvement I saw on ASUSWRT stock on 386.7.

I have a RT-AC5300 and did 386.5_2 -> 387 dirty upgrade and don't have this issue (or any issues that I have found so far).
387 runs very well on the AC5300 but apparently you encounter an issue Before concluding that you have a hardware problem look at the list of configuration steps that L&LD has lined up https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#about Take the time and always choose a channel for wifi (NOT auto).

Everything is working great for me also no issues that i've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!