What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrade from 386.5 to 386.7 on an RT-AC68U : KO
Rooter (on mode access point) boot, wifi is ok, but interface on 8443 port is ko
SSH access is ok.
How can I correct that ? If I have to reset it, can I download parameters with the SSH access ?

On syslog.log I can see : crond[892]: time disparity of 2176723 minutes detected
Is it linked ?

Last edited:
Just did a fresh install of 386.7 from latest stock firmware. Works great. I just don't want to live without DNS Filter if I don't have to.

Indeed I noticed also in 386.7 the LAN IPv6 prefix is written in the form of:

2001:db80:aaaa::

which is a /48 Prefix Length address; maybe it's only a mistype 64 in this case?

@matthew_eli and @capncybo the answers you seek can be found at https://ipv6.he.net/certification/
a /48 prefix is indeed larger than a /64 (my ISP's native IPv6 gives me a /56...but having registered at HE, I can claim a /48 if I choose to use their DDNS...and that's the case for anyone)
your WAN Prefix is delegated as a /48 and the LAN's is a /64 subnet which allows all sorts of addresses...2^(64-48) addresses...2^16 of them, 65,536 addresses in that /64 subnet
quite a bit larger than the 255 or so in IPv4, so you still have plenty of room to spread out.

If you really want your mind shaken loose, consider that an IPv6 address is 128bits long, and a /48 only uses 48 of them, leaving another 80 bits (2^80) for other addresses below it for you to use...trillions, I think. We're talking something like the difference between an 8088 and i9 processor as far as transistor-gates in comparison.

Last edited:
Yep, plus it’s AT season in my area and quite a bit of aircraft this year. 80 seems fine, don’t really notice a performance difference but I do like it when certain devices connect and it jumps 160. Helps when moving large files and downloading stuff from work and games. Which it does on the previous firmware.

Something got corrupted somehow. Still getting reboots, now getting TrendMicro errors, and scripts aren’t sticking. It also takes forever to get synced with my cable modem. Network cable disconnected messages etc. USB drive is my first guess since I kept it on 80 overnight. I’m going to try previous firmware one more time since that gets aggregation and previous settings stable.
386.5_2 reflash gets me WAN Aggregation and 160Mhz back, plus much faster and reliable connection to cable modem which is a Netgear CM1150V, seconds instead of minutes. WIFI drops stopped, authentication errors stopped, network cable and ethernet cable disconnects stopped, other weird errors are gone, everything seems fine and no more reboots.

I will try reflashing 386.7 once everyone goes to sleep so they don't kill me.

This is on an AX88U.

@matthew_eli and @capncybo the answers you seek can be found at https://ipv6.he.net/certification/
a /48 prefix is indeed larger than a /64 (my ISP's native IPv6 gives me a /56...but having registered at HE, I can claim a /48 if I choose to use their DDNS...and that's the case for anyone)
your WAN Prefix is delegated as a /48 and the LAN's is a /64 subnet which allows all sorts of addresses...2^(64-48) addresses...2^16 of them, 65,536 addresses in that /64 subnet
quite a bit larger than the 255 or so in IPv4, so you still have plenty of room to spread out.
But why before, with 386.5, I had a /48 prefix for Lan too?

But why before, with 386.5, I had a /48 prefix for Lan too?
I'd look to Asus on that...they have made some fixes to the code underlying IPv6 functionality. this might be their way of keeping everything "happy" See my addendum to my original reply for some further perspective on this. Our routers are increasingly capable, but they're not Datacenter/Internet Backbone capable, right?

Updated both units to this latest version. So far no issues.

Had to roll back to 386.5_2 due to wifi weirdness. Not sure what was the issue but a lot of my IoT devices just would not remain connected reliably. Back on 386.5_2 and everything is once again stable. Who knows what was going one….

Everything updated from 386.7 B2 to 386.7 without issue with 28hrs uptime. Thanks rmerlin for your energy & efforts.

There were some reports of extremely verbose logging on the betas. Is this still the case for the release?

I'm going to wait a few more days to upgrade (too busy working on other stuff) but one thing I really love about 386.5_2 over stock is how quiet the logs are.

I noticed a couple of ipv6 changes.

At this point, what's the best way of pointing all ipv4 and ipv6 dns traffic to two piholes on the network?

If you really want your mind shaken loose, consider that an IPv6 address is 128bits long, and a /48 only uses 48 of them, leaving another 80 bits (2^80) for other addresses below it for you to use...trillions, I think. We're talking something like the difference between an 8088 and i9 processor as far as transistor-gates in comparison.
A /48 bit prefix, means 2^(64-48) address, rather 65536. It's huge, but it can be handled by a router I guess

Did a dirty update from beta2 to 386.7 on my RT-AX86U. It's been running for a day and 16 hours. Functionally I don't notice any issues. I do see the following line in the log occasionally:
Jun 25 09:21:55 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mFCACHEfc_vblog_list_add ERROR: Duplicate blog: list blog<0xffffffc02f840e40> JOIN blog<0xffffffc02f82e000>^[[0m

Dirty upgrade from beta2 to 386.7 on my RT-AX88U. All went well except for my Google Hello Doorbell. It would not connect.
So I did a factory reset and new clean install of the AX88U, and all works now.

Last edited:
I just completed a dirty upgrade on my RT-AC88U from 386.5_2 to 386.7_0. All went smoothly (thankyou!) but when I checked the WiFi channels after the upgrade, the professional 'Region' setting had changed from 'Australia' to blank. I changed the Region to Australia, saved the settings and the router rebooted as normal. However, after reboot with the Region now showing as Australia I now have only 5GHz channels 36-48 and 149-165 available for selection, whereas previously I had all of the Australian regulatory approved channels available, ie. 32-48, 50-68 (DFS), 96-116 (DFS), 132-144 (DFS) and 149-165.

I'm seeing the correct list of 2.4GHz channels being available for selection, ie. 1-13, so the problem appears to be confined to the 5GHz channel selection.

Is doing a full reset likely to fix the issue? Or is this a bug in 386.7_0?

Thanks for all your excellent work on the Merlin project - very much appreciated!
I’m having the same issue on my AX56U where the previous selected “Australia” option turned blank after the upgrade, and after I selected it back there’s no DFS channel options.

Edit: I tried factory reset and that didn't work, reverted back to 386.5 and did another reset, it is now back to normal. Still not sure if this is related to the latest firmware or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!