What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just reporting that I'm also getting the "DNS packet size" log entry discussed in the beta thread. I do have both DNSSEC and DNS-over-TLS (Cloudflare Family) enabled, and my log level settings are Notice/Notice. Some of the log entries seem to be spaced by multiples of 60 minutes:
Code:
   Feb  4 18:00:23 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  4 19:53:12 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  4 21:27:10 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  4 23:27:16 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  5 00:27:17 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  5 02:27:20 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  5 13:41:17 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  5 19:23:58 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232
   Feb  5 20:25:06 dnsmasq[1447]: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 127.0.1.1 to 1232

Last edited:
Just reporting that I'm also getting the "DNS packet size" log entry discussed in the beta thread. I do have both DNSSEC and DNS-over-TLS (Cloudflare Family) enabled, and my log level settings are Notice/Notice. Some of the log entries seem to be spaced by multiples of 60 minutes:
It's been addressed in the next 388.2 release. For 386.9, you can update the dnsmasq.conf configuration to avoid these messages.

This is an example /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf script:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIG="$1"
. /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "edns-packet-max=1280" "edns-packet-max=1232" "$CONFIG"

No. There will never be a 388.xx release for AC models.

is that 388.2 release also for AC models now?
No. The AC series routers will remain on 386.x. The 388.x firmware is for the AX series (and newer) routers. This is addressed in the Asus-Merlin Change Log:
388.1 (3-Dec-2022)
- NOTE: This release is only available for AX models.
AC models will remain on the 386_xx release branch.
RMerlin explained elsewhere:
388.1 Release notes
This code base is only available for AX models, AC models will stay on the 386.x code base. Asus hasn't added any of these to their End-of-Life list as of now, so that means they will still get updates, just not as frequently. Most of these models being 5-7 years old now, having reduced support isn't unreasonable (as opposed to competitors typically completely dropping ALL support within 2-4 years). On my end, I currently don't plan to drop support for these AC models for the time being, but as with upstream updates, these older models will get less frequent updates from me as well.

I tried a few more times without success, just gonna leave it and buy a new router at some point
did you try clearing your browser cache? that might show that you've been successful before you go trashing a perfectly good piece of kit, or doing a reset.

Started a seperate thread for discussion on the 386.10 Alpha1 builds.

Goodness to all. Upgraded to 386.9 firmware. After the upgrade, the hard drive is always being accessed. The external 3.5 drive is connected via USB 3.0. For a week now it has been running constantly as if it is being accessed all the time. Can you tell me how to fix it and what the problem may be. Especially disconnected everything so no one unnecessary access to the drive, but still rustling relentlessly for a week. Sorry for my English, I do not speak it very well. Thank you all!

Can you tell me how to fix it and what the problem may be.
There was another thread discussing it a few weeks ago. This is caused by the Asus security daemon. The issue will be resolved in 386.10 which will use the new 2.0 engine.

Hello, dirty upgrade my AC86U which is running my OpenVPN server, and the speeds decreased around 10 x

Previously
AX86U, 388.1 openVPN client -> AC86U, 386.7_2 OpenVPN Server speed: Download ~160Mb; Upload 30Mb

After upgrade
AX86U, 388.1 openVPN client -> AC86U, 386.9 OpenVPN Server speed Download ~12Mb; Upload 3Mb

Reverted back to 386.7_2
AX86U, 388.1 openVPN client -> AC86U, 386.7_2 OpenVPN Server speed: Download 150Mb; Upload 30Mb

I hope I did not miss and post again something that has been already answered.

Best regards

I noticed an issue with 386.9 (RT-AC86U). Its not a huge issue but whenever I go to client list to change a name or icon of a device & hit apply it doesnt apply the new name. Finally I decided to reboot router then it showed the device name changes.
I never had this issue with any previous firmware. Anyone else experience this problem on the current firmware?

Yes, rebooting does solve issues.

All Virtual Server / Port Forwarding profiles were cleared after upgrade to 386.9 on AC68U.
Can't create any profile now. Newly created profile disappearing after switching to other tab and returning to Virtual Server / Port Forwarding tab.

Update: Seems occurred due to low NVRAM. Factory reset and manual reconfiguration required :(

Last edited:
Any hopes of the client list - in both Network Map, Wireless Log and the QoS page - being worked out in the next version?

On 386.9 (and at least back to 386.7), the lists are completely out of wack - not listing all clients to begin with, and not being updated beyond reboot. Especially on devices connected to Aimesh routers, it seems. The problem spans across both the web interface and in the app.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!