What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any hopes of the client list - in both Network Map, Wireless Log and the QoS page - being worked out in the next version?

On 386.9 (and at least back to 386.7), the lists are completely out of wack - not listing all clients to begin with, and not being updated beyond reboot. Especially on devices connected to Aimesh routers, it seems. The problem spans across both the web interface and in the app.
IIRC, I believe that @RMerlin has told us that this is now part of the closed source components, so it would be up to Asus to fix, not him.

IIRC, I believe that @RMerlin has told us that this is now part of the closed source components, so it would be up to Asus to fix, not him.
Are they aware and simply don't give a f*** (which I believe to be at least in part customary Asus policy at this point), or have they signaled any upcoming progress, @RMerlin ?

Any hopes of the client list - in both Network Map, Wireless Log and the QoS page - being worked out in the next version?

On 386.9 (and at least back to 386.7), the lists are completely out of wack - not listing all clients to begin with, and not being updated beyond reboot. Especially on devices connected to Aimesh routers, it seems. The problem spans across both the web interface and in the app.

There is a script fix now for keeping the Client List accurate.

The Network Client List has always been unreliable on all the Asus routers I have used.

Installed then hard reset but gui is slow and unresponsive, so much so that can't reflash the firmware. Hard reset takes me through the setup dialogue but then back to same problem. Network itself is running fine. Any suggestions ?

Installed then hard reset but gui is slow and unresponsive, so much so that can't reflash the firmware. Hard reset takes me through the setup dialogue but then back to same problem. Network itself is running fine. Any suggestions ?
What model router? Are you doing the hard reset using the WPS method?

Sorry this is an ac86u (labelled on the back as ac2900 in case that makes a difference). And reset via press and hold WPS turn power on, then power off once power light has gone out

Sorry this is an ac86u (labelled on the back as ac2900 in case that makes a difference). And reset via press and hold WPS turn power on, then power off once power light has gone out
Sorry just found ac86u in smaller writing on the back so ignore ac2900 bit. I haven't tried the pin reset yet

AC86, wifi dies frequently Need to switch off and on again more than once a week. Flashed back to previous version. Now it is stable for weeks.

Last edited:
Updated my ac86u yesterday to 386.9 and tried to use the MAC filter (set to reject) to a couple of devices, but they are still able to connect. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Updated my ac86u yesterday to 386.9 and tried to use the MAC filter (set to reject) to a couple of devices, but they are still able to connect. Any thoughts?
Have you manually disconnected those devices from the WiFi after making the setting change on the router to block the device(s)? I've found, on a RT-AC68U, that enabling Wireless MAC Filtering to reject a wifi device does not kick that device off the WiFi network. Instead it will block that device the next time the device leaves the network and attempts to rejoin. Also make sure the wireless device isn't configured to join another wifi network on the router. Could be when it cannot connect to the one WiFi network it will auto join another if it can.

Have you manually disconnected those devices from the WiFi after making the setting change on the router to block the device(s)? I've found, on a RT-AC68U, that enabling Wireless MAC Filtering to reject a wifi device does not kick that device off the WiFi network. Instead it will block that device the next time the device leaves the network and attempts to rejoin. Also make sure the wireless device isn't configured to join another wifi network on the router. Could be when it cannot connect to the one WiFi network it will auto join another if it can.

hmmm... these are IOT devices, I will power cycle them and see what happens.... they are setup to connect only to this 1 wifi network.

I did reboot the router and the devices reconnected back ...

hmmm... these are IOT devices, I will power cycle them and see what happens.... they are setup to connect only to this 1 wifi network.

I did reboot the router and the devices reconnected back ...
Are you using AiMesh? If so is the IoT devices connecting to the main router WiFi or to a mesh node WiFi?
Are you using YazFi or are you connecting the IoT devices to the Guest WiFi?
When you upgraded to 386.9 what firmware version were you upgrading from? Was it a dirty upgrade or did you do a hard factory reset and reconfigure the router from scratch without loading a saved router cfg file? Are you having low NVRAM issues? Some who upgraded the RT-AC68U to 386.9 experienced low NVRAM issues (see the several other threads on that low NVRAM issue).

Standard troubleshooting steps. Do a hard factory reset and reconfigure the router manually without loading a saved router cfg file. If a USB hard drive is attached, disconnect it before performing the hard factory reset and do not reconnect it until the router is operating normally post manual reconfiguration post hard factory reset.

After a very clean upgrade and numerous observations across 10 days, I’d like to report that my RT-AC86U with 386.9 is suffering from the same “memory leak” described in some of the 388.1 threads. Further investigation using top -m indeed confirms that networkmap has been steadily growing at a rate of 2MB every 24 hours. Everything else remains unchanged in terms of memory usage.

I did not notice this behavior with 386.5_2 or 386.7_2. I realize networkmap is closed source and there’s not much @RMerlin can do about this, but I thought I’d share my findings here as a reference.

It would actually be nice to get feedback from other forum members about their networkmap size behavior under 386.9, particularly for the RT-AC86U. Thanks in advance.

Are you using AiMesh? If so is the IoT devices connecting to the main router WiFi or to a mesh node WiFi?
Are you using YazFi or are you connecting the IoT devices to the Guest WiFi?
When you upgraded to 386.9 what firmware version were you upgrading from? Was it a dirty upgrade or did you do a hard factory reset and reconfigure the router from scratch without loading a saved router cfg file? Are you having low NVRAM issues? Some who upgraded the RT-AC68U to 386.9 experienced low NVRAM issues (see the several other threads on that low NVRAM issue).

Standard troubleshooting steps. Do a hard factory reset and reconfigure the router manually without loading a saved router cfg file. If a USB hard drive is attached, disconnect it before performing the hard factory reset and do not reconnect it until the router is operating normally post manual reconfiguration post hard factory reset.
Thanks
No airmesh involved (don't have that)
Not using yazFi
I think I Was on 386.5 ish ... i should have kept note ... it was a dirty upgrade ...
i don't think I have NVRAM issues, as the rotuer is stable ...

looks like weekend will be spent in the re-config :)

Is there a memory leak on this firmware on the AC68U? Every time I log in the memory use has increased by a couple of MB.

Hi, Can I ask a stupid question here , how can I check the temp of my router : AC86U at repeater mode

Hi, Can I ask a stupid question here , how can I check the temp of my router : AC86U at repeater mode

This has nothing really to do with the topic of this thread. If you use the "Better Search" function above and search for "temperature" you will see there are many other threads where this has been discussed.

Here is the answer for your RT-AC86U - ssh into the device and run:
Code:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp | cut -c 1-2

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!