What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To everyone having WiFi issues (At least on AX86U, WiFi dropouts etc) After a bunch of tests:

It seems that setting the channel selection to auto broke the WiFi. If I select manually the channel all my WiFi problem disappears. Even if I select the same channel auto selected before. I only test the 5Ghz band

So to summarize:

On 388.1:
- Auto channel on -> Channel 60 auto selected -> WiFi Dropouts
- Auto channel off -> Channel 60 -> No WiFi dropouts
On 386.7_2:
- Auto channel on -> Channel 60 auto selected -> No WiFi dropouts

I have also disabled WMM APSD under profesionnal tab in Wireless (On 5ghz too)

If someone can test it on their side and tell me if it fixes their WiFi too, we can report it to Asus

So my test setup in order to reproduce: Everything default except WMM and auto channel (160 Mhz activated + AX activated + WPA2/3)
Did have manual on 2.4 ghz with dropouts - and tried from manual to auto on 2.4 ghz - still dropouts today.
So have now set manual ch on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz to check further.
AX88U.

all working well here. axe16000 upgrade. full reset

I have an Asus RT-AX86s but also have Wi-Fi dropout's and hangups. Reverting to the previous firmware.

Update: I have now running the new firmware, but without Skynet en Diversion. Now running on Ad Guard Home and everything is stable now.

Last edited:
I have an Asus RT-AX86s but also have Wi-Fi dropout's and hangups. Reverting to the previous firmware.
I'm also experiencing wifi dropouts on my AX86u &, also DHCP isn't working great. If I make a dhcp reservation on the manual list it now doesn't get pushed until I manually reset every node / switch on my network. If I reboot the device I made the reservation for the device just gets the ip 169.254... until I reboot everything. Never had this problem before. I also have a weird thing that a lot of devices are showing the host name dhcpcd-6 8 2 Linux-3 18 19-0190 or dhcpcd-6 8 2 Linux-4 4 22 armv. I also have weird AiMesh experiences with this firmware. For instance I can no longer daisy chain through ethernet all my AX55's to one another. If I do that they all believe they are connected wirelessly except the first device connected to the AX86u. I had to fix this by using a switch to connect all the nodes to that I then connected to the AX86U.

To everyone having WiFi issues (At least on AX86U, WiFi dropouts etc) After a bunch of tests:

It seems that setting the channel selection to auto broke the WiFi. If I select manually the channel all my WiFi problem disappears. Even if I select the same channel auto selected before. I only test the 5Ghz band

So to summarize:

On 388.1:
On 386.7_2:

If someone can test it on their side and tell me if it fixes their WiFi too, we can report it to Asus

So my test setup in order to reproduce: Everything default except WMM and auto channel (160 Mhz activated + AX activated + WPA2/3)
I am seeing exactly the same behavior and repeated the test both on a dirty and clean upgrade.

So to summarize:

On 388.1:
On 386.7_2:

I do think this was a very sincere attempt to assist others & find a cause or culprit but...
-I do not recall 160MHz enabled as being a Default

IMO there is too many of these Auto settings all stacked together...
Auto this... & auto that... & when it doesn't work quite as expected, it's hard to know what is really going wrong.

In my case I've set: Channel bandwidth 80MHz & Disabled 160MHz, but left Control Channel to Auto, Even Auto select channel including DFS channels, Extension Channel Auto...
But is my WiFi dropping out...
NOPE

Anyways thanks for trying to narrow it down (I didn't think using 160MHz was default nor even a realistic setting).
It involves too much bandwidth & relies on DFS channels of which it must vacate whenever radar is detected.

If data packets were automobiles & traffic was network congestion... 160Mhz would be like my car wanting to use Six lanes at the same time amongst the same congestion.

Been offline since I HW reset (WPS Method) the AX86 mesh nodes and flashed them with the stock firmware "Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709" as I dirty flashed over 388.1 to fix the AIMESH interface showing disconnected and to start from a known good point. After seeing some of the posts related to Wifi and the AX86, though I feel I should share the results.

After restarting the mesh nodes, wired backhaul, I was able to add them back in without issue both via the browser, and the other via the iPhone app. But the 5Ghz radios did not immediately come up. The one Android Tablet with a Wifi Analyzer did not find any of the 5Ghz nodes. Took another reboot of the mesh nodes to get them turned on, even though through the browser and App I turned the 5Ghz radios off/on, they would not show up until after the second reboot.

After the reboot of the mesh nodes, the 5Ghz radios did turn on, and the devices that use that were able to connect flawlessly. I went back into the iPhone app and while 160Mhz was on previously, I had to toggle DFS back on as well, as if adding the mesh nodes turned it off.

The rest of this is observation, not quatifiable testing. Running Speedtest from the iPhone, which I do regularly for a baseline, I noticed my results were off. I typically achieve 600-700Mbs on the iPhone depending on all sorts of variables including what AP (mesh node - AX86s or router AX88). But for the first day or so I was see results in the 450-550Mbps range. Leaving it alone over the weekend, I also noticed that the 2.4ghz tablets and the one 2.4Ghz/5Ghz (on 5Ghz) I use to monitor the Nest cams stayed connected all weekend. When I was running 388 on the nodes as well as the router, if they stayed online for 12hrs it was a lot.

This morning, again running speedtest from the phone, both connected at the mesh nodes individually, then at the router. I achived a pretty consistent 600-700Mbps at the mesh nodes (AX86s - current Asus Stock Firmware) but at the router, 450-550Mbps (AX88 with 388.1) testing against different servers over a 30 min period to get a better average. I expect a little variability in the results download/upload and usually the delta is within 10-20 Mbps but now I'm seeing a 50Mbps delta or more (worse case 2x - 600/300), higher on the AX88. On the AX86s in line with what was my normal under 386.7.2 now.

The tablets are still up, connected to the cameras and running the live feed at the best quality, haven't had to reboot them since late Friday. Each AX86 Mesh node is wired backhauled GigE to the AX88, and have AT&T Gig fiber at the router. Because of my circumstances I prefer the uptime and consistency with the tablets and the cameras for monitoring vs. performance.

As far as the basics, this is how its setup. For the 5Ghz, if I select the 20/40/80/160Mhz ChannelHog reports I'm running at 80Mhz. If I use the 160Mhz setting, it doesn't ever complain and all the older devices still connect fine. Wifi6 enabled and I have a SmartConnect rule load balancing between both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. If you're wondering, the wired devices avarage in the 910/945Mbps range as well as the Router with spdMerlin (depending on CPU utilization at the router when the test runs).

1670866387342.png

1670867735642.png

1670867696588.png

Not sure what this does or does not add to the AX86 Wifi disconnects, just sharing my results/observations, your mileage will vary...

Works for me. I've set DNS Privacy to use Quad 9, rebooted the router, and clients were able to do DNS queries normally, and dns leak tests confirmed I was using Quad 9.
To follow up on my earlier post about this...it definitely is a ControlD issue. Using Quad 9 or any other provider is working fine for me.

Hi all, I have a strange problem with my gt ax 6000. I currently have merlin 388.1 installed but every time I try to put the stock firmware back (latest version) the router completes the update, restarts but nothing in the menu is selectable and therefore I can't configure it. I have tried several times to reset it before and after the stock firmware. The only way to see it working is to use the asus rescue tool by reloading the merlin firmware. Does anyone know how to help me get the stock firmware working again?

Please anyone can help me?
Basically I can't go back to the latest stock version of the firmware without having interface or menu problems especially when I have to select "apply" it won't let me do it.
Otherwise, do you recommend a merlin firmware that you think is better than the 388.1?

I'm definitely receiving WiFi dropouts. In fact, ever since I've updated, streaming has been cutting in and out. On the positive end, wifi download speeds seem to be better (for some odd reason), but that might just be the reboot that happened after I updated. I flashed, rebooted, factory reset, and reconfigured basic settings - still having the same issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To wich router do you refer to?

Please anyone can help me?
Basically I can't go back to the latest stock version of the firmware without having interface or menu problems especially when I have to select "apply" it won't let me do it.
Otherwise, do you recommend a merlin firmware that you think is better than the 388.1?
After flashing back to stock did you clean your browsercache?

I do think this was a very sincere attempt to assist others & find a cause or culprit but...
-I do not recall 160MHz enabled as being a Default

IMO there is too many of these Auto settings all stacked together...
Auto this... & auto that... & when it doesn't work quite as expected, it's hard to know what is really going wrong.

In my case I've set: Channel bandwidth 80MHz & Disabled 160MHz, but left Control Channel to Auto, Even Auto select channel including DFS channels, Extension Channel Auto...
But is my WiFi dropping out...
NOPE

Anyways thanks for trying to narrow it down (I didn't think using 160MHz was default nor even a realistic setting).
It involves too much bandwidth & relies on DFS channels of which it must vacate whenever radar is detected.

If data packets were automobiles & traffic was network congestion... 160Mhz would be like my car wanting to use Six lanes at the same time amongst the same congestion.
Sorry, english is not my native langage, and my grammar is not the best even in my native language, this is why I precised at the end of the post : (160 Mhz activated + AX activated + WPA2/3). When I say everything default I only talked about the Wireless and professional 5Ghz page (Except settings I said I've changed ofc). As I also tested 160Mhz off + auto channel and still having dropouts so it tends to prove that 160Mhz is not what causes the issue. (If other people want to retest what I've done in order to act on a 100% working workaround it would be great!)

I've been using this router for 2 years now and always has 160Mhz activated. Literally never have a problem with it in 2 years. And it can bring up to 700Mbps on my main computer which is 8 meters away from the router with one 50 cm concrete wall and one 30 cm concrete wall. Without it my computer can't go past 280 Mbps. So could everyone stop saying that DFS + 160 Mhz is a problem? it doesn't help solving the issue and it's false, at least for my case and probably multiple other cases too. At least in my country/region

I live in France in a neighborhood that only has 2 others 5 Ghz router and no radar nor airport. So my router use DFS frequently and it takes my WiFi to it's maximum potential (700/800 on main computer, 800 on iPhone and 1600 on main computer when it's 2 meter away from router)

Good analogy in order to explain how 160Mhz work but I already known that ;) I work in IT so I don't enable things that I don't know how they work, others settings remain default if I don't know what they do ;)

P.S.: My 160Mhz settings is 20/40/80/160 not only 160Mhz, so it's 160 on main computer and remain 80 on other devices like my iOS one

Last edited:
Sorry, english is not my native langage, and my grammar is not the best even in my native language, this is why I precised at the end of the post : (160 Mhz activated + AX activated + WPA2/3). When I say everything default I only talked about the Wireless and professional 5Ghz page (Except settings I said I've changed ofc). As I also tested 160Mhz off + auto channel and still having dropouts so it tends to prove that 160Mhz is not what causes the issue. (If other people want to retest what I've done in order to act on a 100% working workaround it would be great!)

I've been using this router for 2 years now and always has 160Mhz activated. Literally never have a problem with it in 2 years. And it can bring up to 700Mbps on my main computer which is 8 meters away from the router with one 50 cm concrete wall and one 30 cm concrete wall. Without it my computer can't go past 280 Mbps. So could everyone stop saying that DFS + 160 Mhz is a problem? it doesn't help solving the issue and it's false, at least for my case and probably multiple other cases too. At least in my country/region

I live in France in a neighborhood that only has 2 others 5 Ghz router and no radar nor airport. So my router use DFS frequently and it takes my WiFi to it's maximum potential (700/800 on main computer, 800 on iPhone and 1600 on main computer when it's 2 meter away from router)

Good analogy in order to explain how 160Mhz work but I already known that ;) I work in IT so I don't enable things that I don't know how they work, others settings remain default if I don't know what they do ;)

P.S.: My 160Mhz settings is 20/40/80/160 not only 160Mhz, so it's 160 on main computer and remain 80 on other devices like my iOS one
Thank you for the added details, hopefully they will aid in narrowing down a cause.

I was looking everywhere for source of my problem except forum and specifically this thread.
Previously had RT-AX86U as router and RT-AC68U as aimesh node - both latest firmware (but it is different for AX and AC).
Yesterday started tests with RT-AX86S as aimesh node instead of AC. Today in the morning started dropouts on all my IoT devices. There react with huge delay or disconnects.
Just in second when I turn off aimesh node, everything starts working normally.

Now will move on node to older firmware to verify if it works properly...

@RMerlin the recent post via @Groslol got me thinking...
What is the expected behavior for the existing connected clients when the router suddenly changes channels?
I'd guess the router should be able to signal which channel it's switching onto & hopefully the client(s) will follow.

Grosolol seems to have verified his RT-AX86U seems to drop WiFi when his Channel is set to Auto yet function normally on a fixed Channel such as 60.
So from what Grosolol is describing...
It sounds like maybe ALL WiFi Clients disconnect whenever the router changes channel.

What is the expected behavior for the existing connected clients when the router suddenly changes channels?
I assume clients would need to reconnect, unless the Wifi standard supports some method of instructing a client that the channel (and therefore the radio frequency) will change. However Wifi (the RF portion of it) isn't my area of expertise, so I'm not sure. I always used fixed channels with all of my routers.

Usually if the channel needs to change, there will be log entries from the acsd daemon saying so.

I assume clients would need to reconnect, unless the Wifi standard supports some method of instructing a client that the channel (and therefore the radio frequency) will change. However Wifi (the RF portion of it) isn't my area of expertise, so I'm not sure. I always used fixed channels with all of my routers.

Usually if the channel needs to change, there will be log entries from the acsd daemon saying so.
Thanks for your honesty & the tip... It seems I have more learning to do

Setting fixed channel didn't help.
Im back on stock on aimesh node-FW_RT_AX86U_AX86S_v300438649599, which is older version. Newest stock didnt work either.
On router I have Merlin version RT-AX86U_388.1_0.
It is better now, IoT devices once again are working, but.. They are sticked to router even when they have very weak connection. Only one device connected to aimesh node now, previously. it was about 10.

//edit
I was too happy. It does not work properly - binding to specific node does not work, devices does not connect then completely. Currently almost all are connected to router with weak signal.

Last edited:
Web history has some issues that Asus needs to fix, however, I'm uncertain if this problem is related. If you have done a reset to defaults and configured manual and minimum config, and it still happens, report it to Asus.
I was able to fix web history on Asus Merlin 388.1 but i don't remember which step or step(s) fixed it. Here's is what I did. Hopefully this works for others.

1. Login to web interface and go to Administration -> Privacy. For some reason I had 2 privacy withdraw notices. I withdrew from both which which automatically disabled AI protection, QOS and web history.
2. Now ssh into the router and delete /jffs/.sys/WebHistory/WebHistory.db and /jffs/.sys/AiProtectionMonitor/AiProtectionMonitor.db
3. Re-enable AIProtection
4. Re-enable QOS
5. Re-enable WebHistory. Now I think my router locked up after doing this again. I *think* my router rebooted because we lost internet in the house.
6. Then to my surprise, web history was working after this point.
1670881137613.png

RE: WireGuard
I can confirm what RMerlin stated about WG from his Post #1.
Without Flow Cache Enabled a significant speed deficit is experienced.
Still looking for a Griswald Easy step-by-step OpenVPN tutorial with a QR code for The Family to quickly setup on their devices ;)