What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why does the router report a 'warning' on a ethernet port that is only running at 100BASE? The device only supports 100, Its my Hue hub. The tool tip gives you 'solutions' that will never work.

The fact that it does this making you think there is an issue is fantastically stupid and needs to be fixed.
Couldn’t agree more!

I am running 388.1 on an AX86S connected to a MB8600 modem using WAN aggregation to try and squeeze the last 200 Mbps out of the connection. While it works well when it is working it creates a major problem if there is a network/power outage and both the modem and AX86S need to be power cycled.

What happens is that when the router restarts is it indicates no internet connection and once it detects no connection it apparently quits it the boot process and the USB drives are shown as unmounted, the addon tab isn't shown, and of course none of the addon scripts run.

Restoring service requires power cycling both modem and router, power cycling modem and getting the internet connection restored and getting the router to see the WAN connection, then once the WAN is restored again rebooting router to force the USB drives to mount and the scripts to run.

I have a UPS that is supposed to keep my network working but as a plan B you need a network that will recover on its own if there is a power outage. The problem maybe how link aggregation works on the Motorola MB8600. Link aggregation has had a bad reputation in the past and the new firmware downloaded from Comcast in December 2022 didn't seem to fix the issue I am having which I am attributing to LAG.

I will hang onto the AX86S for another week or so and see if updated firmware for it might correct the issue of if Comcast updates the modem's firmware. If not back the AX86 goes as the primary reason I purchased it was for link aggregation and I don't need the extra 200 Mbps enough to justify buying a new modem. The MB8600 has been rock solid with my AC1900P and my AC86.

Thanks for confirming what I have seen as well. I saw the same as you with something changing 5GHz back to Auto on two separate occasions with reboot, though in checking this morning, it happened again, switching control channel to 160 even though configured as 100 in the settings. The router has been online for over a day since last reboot, so this is occurring during normal use and not related to cycling the router. I just disabled 160MHz channel bandwidth to see if it stays put where configured and will continue to monitor. All testing for the past several days is done on 388.1.
Been a little occupied but the node definitely doesn’t follow the 11b or crypto setting on the router. As WiFi and AiMesh is closed source and the issue is not unique to 388.1, this should go on a different thread. Set all three the same, then used scMerlin to restart WiFi but the issue remained.

Can also confirm that when I enabled 160Mhz on my 5GHz settings (RT-AX88U), all of the 5GHz wifi connections in my house went to crap, didn't realise this was the issue until catching up on the thread today.

Have disabled now and will monitor.

For me and my setup, I've found that keeping my 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz (distinct control channel settings) and 5GHz to 80Mhz (auto control channel) has been the best balance of stability and performance.

For me and my setup, I've found that keeping my 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz (distinct control channel settings) and 5GHz to 80Mhz (auto control channel) has been the best balance of stability and performance.
Oh Mighty Crystal Ball, why do so many insist on 160 glitch ridden band that I paid for and was advertised as new and great?:)

Oh Mighty Crystal Ball, why do so many insist on 160 glitch ridden band that I paid for and was advertised as new and great?:)
Don't worry... 320MHz incoming...

"Second part I summarized in an earlier post with the AiMesh node seeming not respecting the disable 11b setting and still showing 11b as available from a wireless scan." Reverted (reset router & nodes) back to 386.7-2/8 because on 5Ghz with 160Mhz/DFS enabled, even with fixed channels set. The channels kept changing on the AX88s. What I didn't do is disable 160Mhz/DFS to see if the 5Ghz remained stable. The 2.4Ghz did remain stable but in 386.7-2/386.8 even though I have 11b disabled on the AX88s, the nodes (AX86s) have it enabled. In other words, not a 388.1 specific issue. Just noticed that on the 5Ghz side one of the nodes is off as well.

AX86s Mesh nodes in Yellow with 11b, AX88s Router in Red with 11b disabled - InSSIDer
View attachment 47156

The other thing, from WiFi radar. Security and Max Phy Rate differs as well, AX88s Router in Red, AX86s nodes in Blue but all showing 11b enabled...
View attachment 47157

For the 160Mhz/DFS I'm not dealing with RADAR or much interference to speak of, even able to enable the 2.4Ghz at 40Mhz. With 386, I'm always at 36/160 with no interference, never moves. Under 388, even with the channel fixed - 36/160 - it would often change, whether due to more sensitivity in the drivers or something else, didn't really have time I could invest try to correlate to know. Family nagging forced the abrupt move back to 386 :rolleyes: before I could get too methodical.

Being a bit preemptive of comments on the 2.4Ghz/40Mhz, have two Tablets connected at 2.4Ghz - 802.11ax using 40Mhz and no interference to get in the way
View attachment 47158View attachment 47159

Long Story short,
If 5Ghz gets a little spacey, set fixed channels and disable 160Mhz, even if under 386 it was stable. This WiFi stability issue is more prevalent with AX86s but not completely unique to that model, from the 388.1 chatter. What I'll have to implement to get back on the 388 bandwagon...

Update: listed out the NVRam from all 3 then did a compare using Notepad++...
Lots of differences, things in the router that aren't in the nodes and even differences between the nodes, but based on the above (and another pet peeve of mine with all the disassociate/associate messages). The differences that seemed at first glance to be relevant:

Router NVRAM (Nodes NVRAM)
wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=604800(3600)
wl_crypto=aes(tkip+aes)
wl_nband=1(2)

Will enable 11b on the router and compare before and after nvram for wl_nband sometime this weekend and look for differences...
The NVRAM key/value that controls whether 11b is enabled or not is:

wl0_rateset=default/ofdm

If it's set to default then 11b is enabled. If it's set to ofdm then it's disabled. Try changing that manually on the node and see if it disables 11b and let us know.

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited:
The NVRAM key/value that controls whether 11b is enabled or not is:

wl0_rateset=default/ofdm

If it's set to default then 11b is enabled. If it's set to ofdm then it's disabled. Try changing that manually on the node and see if it disables 11b and let us know.

Thanks,
Harry
That did the trick; I made the adjustments for wl, wl0, and wl1 to odfm, restarted wireless and show only g/n/ac/ax as supported now. Thanks for the suggestion. For those that don't have the exact commands, I used the following:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl_rateset
nvram set wl_rateset=odfm
nvram set wl0_rateset=odfm
nvram set wl1_rateset=odfm
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

The show command can be run for each wl rateset, which were all default on my AiMesh node before the change.

That did the trick; I made the adjustments for wl, wl0, and wl1 to odfm, restarted wireless and show only g/n/ac/ax as supported now. Thanks for the suggestion. For those that don't have the exact commands, I used the following:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl_rateset
nvram set wl_rateset=odfm
nvram set wl0_rateset=odfm
nvram set wl1_rateset=odfm
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

The show command can be run for each wl rateset, which were all default on my AiMesh node before the change.
Just so you know wl_ keys/values don't actually control anything. It's the wl0_ and wl1_ keys/values that matter.

Sorry for the off-topic question;

cannot find "Format JFFS Partition on next Boot" option on my GT-AX6000 with 388.1... Any ideas?

And also, what would be the command in Putty for the same option in GUI?

Thanks in advance!

cannot find "Format JFFS Partition on next Boot" option on my GT-AX6000 with 388.1... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
The option doesn't exist for the GT-AX6000. @RMerlin has posted a reason, but it escapes me at the moment. Different type of flash memory?

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
This was @RMerlin reply to my similar inquiry on December 16th:

After aprox 1 month testing I came to this conclusion when working with a mesh system.
Running 388.1 on main router and the stock firmware on mesh IT'S NOT OK !

____
The mesh stays connected showing no problem, no gui glitches BUT the devices connected to it will temp loose connection. For example cameras will stop streaming etc.
The "problem" running 388.1 on both (main and mesh) it's a GUI error showing the mesh disconnected so (in past posts) I've found out that running the stock firmware on the mesh solved this GUI error.
NOT, I want to advise everyone to run on all routers the 388.1 firmware. Don't put stock one alongside 388.1.

Thank you if this was relevant for you also.

PS: Main router is AX88U and mesh I have AX86S

This is how it "looks" on both running 388.1

1673970623469.png

It's only GUI error, the network performs best on both ends :)

Thanks !

Last edited:
@iBest
Would be nice if you add your model(s). Eg. add a signature with your setup.
THANKS!

I need to upgrade the firmware of my router, but will wait for next release I think. Too many reports here of problems with the Asus RT-AX88U

I’ve been running 388.1 on my AX88U since it was released in early December and haven’t had any issues. I would notice any issues pretty quickly as both the wife and I work from home and I game most nights. I ran a couple of the alpha versions before that. I’ve never done a “clean” upgrade since I originally bought the router a couple of years ago, always the “dirty” upgrades people speak of. Running diversion and uidivstats. Not saying people haven’t had issues as some obviously have, but I wonder if many (like myself up until now) don’t post when everything works great, giving the impression things are worse than they are?

but I wonder if many (like myself up until now) don’t post when everything works great, giving the impression things are worse than they are?
True. So true.
As yourself I've had no issues caused from a clean install of 388.1 and all my addons. But I can see things in the logs that could possibly cause strange things to happen on certain configurations. Wifi drops is one of those things I've looked at, but never affect me. I see the Deauth/Assoc messages in the logs in a multitude but for me they're instantaneous, probably because I don't mess with the wifi settings. If it ain't broke don't fix it.