What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That does not seem to apply for 1gig connections into a 2.5gig port tho...

2.5G WAN port is a 2.5G connection to the Rogers XB7 Modem - all good.
2.5G LAN port to my gigabit switch is connected at 1 gig of course but all green.

View attachment 47064
But it DOES seem to apply to one of my GT-AXE16000's 10 Gbps LAN ports connected to my 2.5 Gbps unmanaged switch at only 2.5 Gbps.

But it DOES seem to apply to one of my GT-AXE16000's 10 Gbps LAN ports connected to my 2.5 Gbps unmanaged switch at only 2.5 Gbps.
The plot thickens... FWIW, my gigabit switch is a managed switch. Not sure if that is even a factor.

Last edited:
The port speed indicatior doesn’t even work for me, it says my WAN is 100Mbps which is categorically false. The link is 1000, and is clearly indicated in my AX11000’s system log as well as my modems logs. Speedtest also give 800-900Mbps so clearly that’s wrong. Same for the 2.5G port, link is 2.5G, says 2500Mbps in logs, but the status page says it’s only 1000. Funnily enough if the 2.5G port is active my WAN says it is 1000 and shows up green. I reported the bug to ASUS already but that feature was clearly not ready for prime time, especially since it flags as a warning for the end-user when it is not correct.

EDIT: I am talking about the official ASUS firmware released last week, I have not yet tried Merlin on 388 yet. It was more commentary on whatever ASUS is doing that might impact Merlin.

Last edited:
That does not seem to apply for 1gig connections into a 2.5gig port tho...

2.5G WAN port is a 2.5G connection to the Rogers XB7 Modem - all good.
2.5G LAN port to my gigabit switch is connected at 1 gig of course but all green.

View attachment 47064
Update to my setup: added a 2.5G unmanaged switch so that I could connect all my RT-AX86U APs at 2.5G as well (just cuz).

2.5G LAN port now connected at 2.5 Gbps and all green.

On my router:

1673526970369.png

On the APs:

1673527052431.png

All green, all good.

Not sure if this has been reported, though I found a glitch that I was hoping someone could reproduce in 388.1. I was configuring channels for 2.4 & 5GHz bands and setting control channels. I also wanted to disable support for 11b while at it. This was initially possible with Smart Connect disabled, though I prefer using it with my AiMesh configuration and using the same SSID for 2.4 & 5GHz. When enabling Smart Connect, the Wireless General page is simplified with configurations and the channel configurations move to the bottom of the page.

Not for the behavior I am seeing: If you select 5Ghz in Wireless - Professional, then switch to General, there is no option to disable 11b. If you switch to 2.4GHz in Wireless - Professional, then switch to General, the option is available, can be selected and appears to work on the main router.

Not sure if this has been reported, though I found a glitch that I was hoping someone could reproduce in 388.1. I was configuring channels for 2.4 & 5GHz bands and setting control channels. I also wanted to disable support for 11b while at it. This was initially possible with Smart Connect disabled, though I prefer using it with my AiMesh configuration and using the same SSID for 2.4 & 5GHz. When enabling Smart Connect, the Wireless General page is simplified with configurations and the channel configurations move to the bottom of the page.

Not for the behavior I am seeing: If you select 5Ghz in Wireless - Professional, then switch to General, there is no option to disable 11b. If you switch to 2.4GHz in Wireless - Professional, then switch to General, the option is available, can be selected and appears to work on the main router.
I believe that 802.11b only exists for 2.4 GHz.

I believe that 802.11b only exists for 2.4 GHz.
Yes, while correct, when enabling Smart Connect, you no longer switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the General tab and only adjust on the Professional tab. The setting should show on the General tab regardless of selection in Professional since the option to switch between them is no longer present on General when Smart Connect is enabled.

One additional observation on the subject (if not related to 388.1 specifically, I can move to a separate thread): AiMesh nodes are not following the disable 11b setting. As there is no way to directly modify, unless possible via SSH, I see 11b as available from the AiMesh node, though not the router for any broadcast SSID.

I was originally having issues with 388.1 with clients disconnecting or remaining connected, though showing no internet access (repeatable on Samsung phones commonly). This issue persisted for some devices even after reverting back to 386.7_2, though was limited in impact to Samsung phones and some IoT devices.

Two nights ago, I heeded the advice and moved from Auto channel config to manual (was hesitant as I am using AiMesh and initially thought it was better for the router to manage channel configurations). Upon manually specifying channels, all disconnect and no-internet issues completely cleared. I have since moved back to 388.1 and can report that it is stable and running well for all clients.

The only two oddities that I notice are that I have seen the manual channel assignment for the 5GHz band revert back to Auto twice when performing a restart of either the router or AiMesh node; not sure which specifically, though will monitor and see if it happens again without reboots or the next time that I do restart. Second part I summarized in an earlier post with the AiMesh node seeming not respecting the disable 11b setting and still showing 11b as available from a wireless scan.

Anyone see any issue with WiFi dropping on this new firmware? All my devices seem to lose internet and drop pings for 4-5 seconds ever since I upgraded to 388. I'm using 160mhz Wifi6 AX. No AIMesh

Edit: literally the post above me is exactly what I am facing. Is this a bug on the Asus side? I will try removing the auto channels

I'm using 160mhz Wifi6 AX
There is your problem, 160Mhz has frequent disconnects. Use 80Mhz and a static channel.

Location-dependent, naturally. Some of us are fortunate to have basically unfettered access to what makes 160 both possible and beneficial.
@glens You're missing the point... There's considerable evidence within these forums to suggest, 160MHz is not working PROPERLY with firmware 388.1.
I have experienced BOTH, had it working for a while & then it's stopped & I haven't been able to get it to reconnect with my (one & only) AX device @ 160MHz wide.

EDIT: Let me correct myself... It was working for me on 388.1 but after upgrading to 388.2-alpha1... I have not been able to re-establish a working 160MHz wide with my Pixel-7

Last edited:
I just replaced my GT-AX11000 with the GT-AX11000 Pro, to take advantage of the U-NII-4 channels on my wireless mesh. I have four ZenWifi XT8s as nodes.

I’m currently running the latest stock firmwares for all products, although I was using RMerlin 386.7_2 previously on my GT-AX11000 because I had difficulty with node discovery on the 388.1 version, irrespective of the firmware I had installed on the nodes (stock or Gnuton, 386 or 388).

When I initially got the 11000 Pro, I had the latest 388 stock firmware installed and had 386.7_2 installed on the nodes, and the AX11000 Pro couldn’t recognize the nodes on a fresh install. So I individually upgraded the nodes to the latest 388 stock version and they were now recognized and all seems to be working ok—although the channel auto selection isn’t using any of the U-NII-4 channels on the backhaul by default, even with the option selected (although they’re available).

Two questions—first, if I now perform a dirty install of the RMerlin 388.1 version on the GT-AX11000 Pro, should it maintain the node configurations and connect appropriately despite the build being based on an older firmware release than the latest stock, and second, does anyone have any experience selecting the U-NII-4 channels (169, 173 and 177) in regard to individual performance?

My main concern is that the AX11000 Pro previously had trouble finding the mesh nodes ONLY on a fresh install—once they were configured they seemed to remain connected through a number of firmware flashes on my previous GT-AX11000. I suspect the nodes would still appear should I “downgrade” to the RMerlin 388.1, but I would hate to have to factory reset and go through all this again if the nodes disappear.

Also I’m unclear about what bandwidth and channel I should select with the U-NII-4 option due to my inexperience with them, and with the lack of a Wi-Fi Radar on the stock firmware. Sorry for the long post, and Thanks!

@srkbear Oh Boy that's a mouthful, but I'll give you an opinion. It depends on how much time you have & how picky you are about everything working. It could just work. But for some... to get Mesh nodes discovered while using RMerlin firmware... we had to momentarily plug them into the main router via Ethernet. And after the Nodes were initially recognized... we could power them down, disconnect the ethernet, relocate them (But obviously within WiFi range) & power the nodes back-up. However on certain routers ex) RT-AX86U/S it does seem that the GUI showing the mesh status is NOT working. Mesh seems to function but the GUI seems to indicate otherwise. + there are others who are experiencing issues with DFS & 160MHz wideband type clients.
So if you don't have a fair amount of time to tinker... I might simply recommend you wait until the next firmware release.
+ There were others who complained of frequent WiFi disconnects, although many of them quieted down after being told to manually select a control channel & NOT use Auto.

Why does the router report a 'warning' on a ethernet port that is only running at 100BASE? The device only supports 100, Its my Hue hub. The tool tip gives you 'solutions' that will never work.

The fact that it does this making you think there is an issue is fantastically stupid and needs to be fixed.

AX88U. Upgraded to 388.1, all works great, thank you for keeping this excellent fw up! A small issue - the Diversion page looks blank. Reset nvram, configured from scratch - same result. amtm shows diversion is current and working. ads are being blocked. uDivStats page works as expected, shows correct info. Is this a possible glitch or am i missing something? TIA!

Attachments

• 2023-01-13_163157.png
    2023-01-13_163157.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 152
I was originally having issues with 388.1 with clients disconnecting or remaining connected, though showing no internet access (repeatable on Samsung phones commonly). This issue persisted for some devices even after reverting back to 386.7_2, though was limited in impact to Samsung phones and some IoT devices.

Two nights ago, I heeded the advice and moved from Auto channel config to manual (was hesitant as I am using AiMesh and initially thought it was better for the router to manage channel configurations). Upon manually specifying channels, all disconnect and no-internet issues completely cleared. I have since moved back to 388.1 and can report that it is stable and running well for all clients.

The only two oddities that I notice are that I have seen the manual channel assignment for the 5GHz band revert back to Auto twice when performing a restart of either the router or AiMesh node; not sure which specifically, though will monitor and see if it happens again without reboots or the next time that I do restart. Second part I summarized in an earlier post with the AiMesh node seeming not respecting the disable 11b setting and still showing 11b as available from a wireless scan.
"Second part I summarized in an earlier post with the AiMesh node seeming not respecting the disable 11b setting and still showing 11b as available from a wireless scan." Reverted (reset router & nodes) back to 386.7-2/8 because on 5Ghz with 160Mhz/DFS enabled, even with fixed channels set. The channels kept changing on the AX88s. What I didn't do is disable 160Mhz/DFS to see if the 5Ghz remained stable. The 2.4Ghz did remain stable but in 386.7-2/386.8 even though I have 11b disabled on the AX88s, the nodes (AX86s) have it enabled. In other words, not a 388.1 specific issue. Just noticed that on the 5Ghz side one of the nodes is off as well.

AX86s Mesh nodes in Yellow with 11b, AX88s Router in Red with 11b disabled - InSSIDer
1673670458765.png

The other thing, from WiFi radar. Security and Max Phy Rate differs as well, AX88s Router in Red, AX86s nodes in Blue but all showing 11b enabled...
1673671139124.png

For the 160Mhz/DFS I'm not dealing with RADAR or much interference to speak of, even able to enable the 2.4Ghz at 40Mhz. With 386, I'm always at 36/160 with no interference, never moves. Under 388, even with the channel fixed - 36/160 - it would often change, whether due to more sensitivity in the drivers or something else, didn't really have time I could invest try to correlate to know. Family nagging forced the abrupt move back to 386 :rolleyes: before I could get too methodical.

Being a bit preemptive of comments on the 2.4Ghz/40Mhz, have two Tablets connected at 2.4Ghz - 802.11ax using 40Mhz and no interference to get in the way
1673671675564.png
1673672049093.png

Long Story short,
If 5Ghz gets a little spacey, set fixed channels and disable 160Mhz, even if under 386 it was stable. This WiFi stability issue is more prevalent with AX86s but not completely unique to that model, from the 388.1 chatter. What I'll have to implement to get back on the 388 bandwagon...

Update: listed out the NVRam from all 3 then did a compare using Notepad++...
Lots of differences, things in the router that aren't in the nodes and even differences between the nodes, but based on the above (and another pet peeve of mine with all the disassociate/associate messages). The differences that seemed at first glance to be relevant:

Router NVRAM (Nodes NVRAM)
wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=604800(3600)
wl_crypto=aes(tkip+aes)
wl_nband=1(2)

Will enable 11b on the router and compare before and after nvram for wl_nband sometime this weekend and look for differences...

Last edited:
"Second part I summarized in an earlier post with the AiMesh node seeming not respecting the disable 11b setting and still showing 11b as available from a wireless scan." Reverted (reset router & nodes) back to 386.7-2/8 because on 5Ghz with 160Mhz/DFS enabled, even with fixed channels set. The channels kept changing on the AX88s. What I didn't do is disable 160Mhz/DFS to see if the 5Ghz remained stable. The 2.4Ghz did remain stable but in 386.7-2/386.8 even though I have 11b disabled on the AX88s, the nodes (AX86s) have it enabled. In other words, not a 388.1 specific issue. Just noticed that on the 5Ghz side one of the nodes is off as well.

AX86s Mesh nodes in Yellow with 11b, AX88s Router in Red with 11b disabled - InSSIDer
View attachment 47156

The other thing, from WiFi radar. Security and Max Phy Rate differs as well, AX88s Router in Red, AX86s nodes in Blue but all showing 11b enabled...
View attachment 47157

For the 160Mhz/DFS I'm not dealing with RADAR or much interference to speak of, even able to enable the 2.4Ghz at 40Mhz. With 386, I'm always at 36/160 with no interference, never moves. Under 388, even with the channel fixed - 36/160 - it would often change, whether due to more sensitivity in the drivers or something else, didn't really have time I could invest try to correlate to know. Family nagging forced the abrupt move back to 386 :rolleyes: before I could get too methodical.

Being a bit preemptive of comments on the 2.4Ghz/40Mhz, have two Tablets connected at 2.4Ghz - 802.11ax using 40Mhz and no interference to get in the way
View attachment 47158View attachment 47159

Long Story short,
If 5Ghz gets a little spacey, set fixed channels and disable 160Mhz, even if under 386 it was stable. This WiFi stability issue is more prevalent with AX86s but not completely unique to that model, from the 388.1 chatter. What I'll have to implement to get back on the 388 bandwagon...

Update: listed out the NVRam from all 3 then did a compare using Notepad++...
Lots of differences, things in the router that aren't in the nodes and even differences between the nodes, but based on the above (and another pet peeve of mine with all the disassociate/associate messages). The differences that seemed at first glance to be relevant:

Router NVRAM (Nodes NVRAM)
wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=604800(3600)
wl_crypto=aes(tkip+aes)
wl_nband=1(2)

Will enable 11b on the router and compare before and after nvram for wl_nband sometime this weekend and look for differences...
Thanks for confirming what I have seen as well. I saw the same as you with something changing 5GHz back to Auto on two separate occasions with reboot, though in checking this morning, it happened again, switching control channel to 160 even though configured as 100 in the settings. The router has been online for over a day since last reboot, so this is occurring during normal use and not related to cycling the router. I just disabled 160MHz channel bandwidth to see if it stays put where configured and will continue to monitor. All testing for the past several days is done on 388.1.